passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil VIllage

DisturbedSwan

Yeah that has really taken be aback to be honest, just made me realise how little we really know about the game and it's only out in a few weeks time.

That trailer looked super action-focused too, I loved the demo as it felt the same as RE7 but this looks more akin to RE4/RE5 which I'm not as jazzed about. 

If they manage to balance the action segments with the tense foreboding horror segments then I think it'll still work, I'm always wary when I see action though as that almost cratered RE7 for me at the end. 

It feels sort of like they are trying to do a bigger scale RE4 type of game. RE is best with more confined labyrinthine places imo, this seems more open and RPG based.

Also daylight scenes aren't looking great visually there

Still hopeful for VR when psvr2 comes. Speaking of vr everything about alyx feels like a generational leap from this. That game is almost a survival horror

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Also daylight scenes aren't looking great visually there

I'm usually not one to nitpick about things like that but the pig at 23 seconds just turning on its axis without any kind of movement was really bad. We've come so far with human or humanoid animations in games that it's easy to forget we're still at PS2 levels when it comes to animals.

Not sure what to think about the rest of it yet. It looks a bit like overkill, gathering resources and crafting in a RE game. Or maybe it's just a natural evolution of herb mixing. I wouldn't dismiss it right away but it makes me a bit skeptical as well.

What do you mean? It's just an interesting middle point between 30 and 60 most developers never consider. And 4K with Raytracing and 45fps on the new machines is actually really solid, even if it's technically just a cross-gen game again.

Also, just looking at this list I feel sorry for the developers. Seven different systems out of which five will have two rendering modes. Must have been a nightmare optimising this, particularly through a pandemic.

The marketing for this is kind of overkill. I'm not that into RE but I still feel like this game is following me around on a daily basis. Demos are a good thing but with the full version only being a month away I'd rather not spoil myself. That said I'm not even sure if I'm going to play it on release. I think I'm too seasonal a gamer, if that's even a thing.

I'd like to point out that I really love the interface design and some of its submenus. It's something Capcom still struggles in some of their games (Street Fighter and Monster Hunter come to mind where everything is functional, but not particularly pretty to look at).

image_resident_evil_village-43259-4517_0017.jpg

Nag is right about the 45fps stuff I think, it causes sync issues with tvs. Good for vrr owners but shit for everyone else

This is my fuzzy understanding of it. Its like if a tv is 60hz, it updates every 16ms or something like this. A 60fps game will always have a frame to update at this 16ms interval. If a game is 30fps it will be every 33ms it has a frame to give the display, so every second update.

45fps doesnt divide evenly into most TV refresh rates so it can display inconsistently and be wonkier than 30fps, even if it is 'faster'. Gsync/Freesync/VRR fix this problem by changing the refresh rate of the display on demand to fluctuating framerates

I think

not just to be popular, but Nag and Dwarf are right, 45fps won't feel as consistent as 30fps nor (obviously) 60fps because your tv (unless you have a VRR display) doesn't update in a multiple of it. That said, there's plenty of people who don't notice games running at off-sync framerates, so a lot of people won't care. Personally I'd rather them have options to either lock at 30fps or drop the resolution so it can still hit 60fps