passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

I am going to replay this game at some point but it's going to be on PC, so the combat isn't all blurry lol

I hope they add some difficulty select options for new game at some point, make it more demanding. Like how Rebirth had dynamic mode

But when are we doing Fallout 76 forum playthrough I finally reached a bit where I keep getting killed and need help c’mon you’re all vault dwellers come to the wasteland with me 😭

8 minutes ago, OCH said:

kefka-finger-wag.gif

An easy sell is Classic FF... When Square knew what they were doing.

They know what they are doing now, it just largely doesn't suit the minority of retro purists who fear change. 😂

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

They know what they are doing now, it just largely doesn't suit the minority of retro purists who fear change.

Nonsense aside. As a game dev, when you go from setting genre trends to following them. You don't know what you're doing anymore.

I don't want to get into the purism arguments again, but I was thinking about the idea of Square not knowing what they're doing when reading about Helldivers 2 doing so well. Apparently, had that not had a day and date release on PC it wouldn't have done nearly as good

Meanwhile it seems Square is sort of stuck in its ways with these now seemingly archaic exclusivity deals for a series of games which appears to have an audience contraction, going from XV to XVI to the VIIR games, each selling worse than the previous.

In that sense at least, it does seem like they don't know what they are doing but it's not cause they're following industry trends. Quite the opposite actually

In XVI's case it's particularly nuts given the huge XIV community on PC and the obvious synergy between these two titles, the buzz behind XVI is completely gone at this point so it's very late to capitalise on that

Square (and Enix too) was a name of pedigree when it came to RPG's. To me, the last few titles reminds me of the ill-conceived era of Capcom in the early 2000's when they made games specifically to "tailor to the Western market". In becoming so big, they lost sight of how they got there. You hear about the recent wave of cancellations and massive projected loss. It paints a grim picture of their near future. 

I'd have to imagine XVI was the last (timed?) console exclusive AAA game they've made, unless they can't get out of whatever contract they spun with Sony for the FFVII Remake trilogy when that thing started ten years ago (a PS4 exclusivity deal with Sony funding probably sounded like a sweet deal back then). I mentioned it somewhere else, I think in the Helldivers context as well, that Sony has zero bargaining chips anymore when it comes to that stuff considering they're not even doing exclusive games themselves anymore. So I don't see why the next FF shouldn't be at least on PC on release day, and DQ12 on Switch 2 right away as well.

I was reading a FF related article and it was talking about the various recurring enemies and they asked which has the most iconic design? The winner was ultimately Marlboro (Cactuar was the runner up)

However, then they asked which is the most formidable/intimidating? The overwhelming consensus was....

Spoiler

3eoxyq78kn991.png