passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

Use this thread for general Final Fantasy chat (comparing and contrasting the games, how they've been shit/not shit since 13, the films etc). Of discussing a specific title that you are playing, please use the relevant game thread. From this point forward, off topic discussions in FF game threads will be deleted, please use this thread.

I'll kick it off, FFXII Zodiac Age has been patched on PC, xbox and PS4 to include the job switching mechanic from Switch. It's also on sale on steam as of writing.

FFXII is still maybe a top three contender for me. Maybe number 2 after XIV. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/595520/FINAL_FANTASY_XII_THE_ZODIAC_AGE/

Don't believe Nag's lies.

That's nonsense. FFXII is by far the best one. And one of the best videogames ever - mercifully steering clear of some of the teen angst/melodrama that plagues some of the others I've played recently, and going for political chicanery instead.

Of course my other favourite is X-2, so I'll now be quiet.

Isn’t FFXII the first one where they ditched the classic turn based system and started on this path to the shite action style we have now in XV? 

Ive looked up a couple of videos to try and see for myself but none explain it really. It looks kind of like VIIR in that you have movement but can stop and go into menus for proper attacks? If it’s turn based I may give it a go since the story sounds a bit more interesting and I know a few FF fans who cite it as their favourite. But I couldn’t deal with the XV style combat again. 

So people tell me it's more like Dragon Age Origins, a game I've never even seen a minute of. But you script your party members actions according to a system of precedence and conditions. Basically up to 12 if/else statements per party member.

So for instance you have simple commands like 'attack nearest enemy'. But above that you can have 'use Fira on enemies vulnerable to fire' and use fire AOE spells before engaging in melee. You can have one character just throw out buffs on everyone and not spend as much time attacking etc. It's like turn-based encounters but you make all your decisions ahead of battle and adjust if needed

It is very mechanical and if you're precious like I am about twiddling with different behaviours like this you might find a lot of enjoyment with it. It's nothing like XV, or VII Remake for that matter.

And yet u feel in control, never just a spectator. My favourite trick was having my black mage

Spoiler

throw a berserk and a haste on my melee boys and then start casting the big spells.

Ended up feeling sorry for most enemies with that setup?

To be honest I think that sounds like it may be even worse than FFXV for me. Any game that has a party system where you don’t control them and give your Party/team mates that kind of command style I’ve never enjoyed it or wanted to engage with it at all and usually leave it on auto if it gives me the option or the most basic style. Just not for me. 
Thanks, saved me some money. I’ll stick with VII and X as the others I play. 

As I've said before, I would think a lot higher of FF 12, if not for Vaan and Penelo. If they had stuck with Basch as the main protagonist, as was initially conceived, it would have fit the actual overall tone of the story a lot better. As far as main protagonists go, I think Vivi was the last one I found genuinely engaging. He arguably shares equal billing with Zidane.

Anyone played World of Final Fantasy? A video just popped up on YT saying it’s basically a classic style one and definitely worth playing. On offer for £10 in PS4 at minute too.

Anyone here actually recommend it? 

I've played it, and loved it. It's not classic FF, though, although it is turn based. You actually catch monsters and physically stack them on your head to create a load out of attack and magic powers. It's very relaxed and easy going, with a very dream type vibe that reminds me of the quiet moments in a kingdom hearts game, before the Disney characters come and ruin everything.

Is it just me or are the openings of FF13 and FF10 incredibly similar? My memory is just a haze of the former and fresh for the latter (having just started going through it) but I seem to remember 13 starting in almost exactly the same fashion as 10 with something cataclysmic happening to the city you’re in. 

Also, I was listening to EZA’s 2nd spoiler mode and Damiani was saying that FF13’s story was so bad they had to retroactively go and change things for the sequel, explaining the changes in inter titles for XIII-2. Is this true?

If I remember correct what he said was that the artwork for FFXIII had to be retroactively linked with an event in the story, I think? If I'm thinking of the thing you're referring to. 

The thing to remember there is that FFXIII was announced in 2006 and released in 2010, that's a long ass time. When the game was announced and conceptualised the artwork was just a pretty picture, so concepts probably got changed along the way. The same thing happened with FFXV, that artwork on the logo was supposed to be some sort of Goddess in the Crystal mythos or whatever it was called that linked the universes of FFXIII and Versus XIII, before they changed it to XV and made the art of Luna instead.

Basically it doesn't matter much. Or you're talking about something else, I didn't finish that spoiler mode

To me XIII's opening is actually way more like VII. Two people who don't get along really well, one a mysterious Ex-soldier who's a bit of a dick. You fight a scorpion or something. 

If you're a story guy it's really hard to recommend FFXIII. I'm not trying to gatekeep this game from you or anything when I say that but it's got a thing where it tells all the important backstory elements in codex entries like a Mass Effect game, but it doesn't let any of that stuff blend naturally into the actual story telling like a Mass Effect would. 

Storywise to me FFXIII is like walking in on an anime halfway through it, with how little I understood of what was happening.

(I did not read any of those codex entries).

That and the battle system. You can tell where the focus was with FF 13. Plot, world building and characterisation were nowhere near a priority. Weird considering how plot-heavy FF12 was at times.