passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crysis Remastered

DisturbedSwan

The epic store launcher is missing features that the steam store has, which is the main thing. Because it's a launch exclusive you can miss out on family sharing/streaming of games, cloud saves (epic has some cloud saving but not as wide as steam), Linux compatibility, dualshock 4 compatibility etc.

So for a year this version of Crysis will probably have none of that. At the very least I'd have to pony up for an xbox controller or install some spurious software (last time I tried third party dualshock software it ended up being chinese spyware sending data to the CPP, I ain't shitting you https://www.neogaf.com/threads/using-sixaxis-on-your-pc-stay-away-from-motioninjoy.510044/)

Also steam has been doing this neat thing of Nintendo Switch cross saves, given that this got a Switch release we might have got that feature. A bit niche, but I've actually used it to load up an old Civ campaign from switch on PC

The issue isn't that it's releasing on Epic, it's that they moneyhat the game and remove choice from the marketplace. 

12 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The issue isn't that it's releasing on Epic, it's that they moneyhat the game and remove choice from the marketplace. 

That's true of course but I still think PC gamers are overreacting. Because at the end of the day they still get to play the game on their rig. I may have a different perspective on this as I'm a console person but if another company is buying exclusive distribution rights for a game on those platforms, you have to buy new hardware if you want to play it. Having to open up a different store client and forfeiting your right to play on Linux is a small price to pay. If I could download Horizon on my Xbox but had to give up my friend list and achievements to do so, I'd gladly take that deal.

Plus you could always look at the bright side and realise that more of your money will flow into the pockets of the developers instead of the guys who just uploaded the data onto their store.

I'm all for everything being on everything as well, as I have recently mentioned with the whole Avengers debacle. But out of all the disgusting capitalist choices the industry is making I feel like this is one is getting blown out of proportion. Particularly as it's not all bad for the industry and that it would actually be a good thing if stores didn't just straight up take a third of a game's revenue for themselves.

but you could just buy the other platform so what's your problem?

edit: that's probably needlessly dickish, I'm just a little tired of people who don't really know what they're talking about (don't mean that as offensively as it reads) making declarations on this. I can deal with Blakey having a different opinion or whatever, but when console exclusive gamers, who have complained about exclusives since at least the 8-bit generation start weighing in it drains my patience a bit. The issue isn't the cost of what it would take to play the exclusive.  Particularly with games like Crysis where the majority of the sales will have come on Steam, seems like it only hurts the consumer, they aren't getting any benefit that I can see

Epic have done some crappy stuff, taking exclusives that people have already preordered away from other stores, I think that’s where a lot of the hate comes from, and is justified. They do seem to have stopped doing this now fingers crossed. I do think they could be doing a good thing for the industry in the long run, giving more money to the developers could be great especially for the smaller devs, although it’s a big ask to change things like this so who knows if they’ll achieve anything useful in the end. And exclusives aren’t great but I can’t see how they can gain any traction against steam without buying exclusives.

Epic could have been a force for good, but they took the shithouse route. No amount of free games and fighting "the man" is going fix it.

I feel bad for the smaller studios that basically sign away their game for a purse and barely any cunt gets to play it because of their anti Epic stance until they eventually give it away because of exclusivity rights. At least the bigger studios can leverage a deal where they get timed exclusivity.

All the whole thing has done has made me consider piracy more. It sucks that I won't be able to play World War Z and Snowrunner without contributing to their shitty behaviour. They say one thing but they are in it for one thing and one thing only, to make cash. They could have just hosted the games at the same price and taken the high road, but they didn't. Or they could have hosted the games and sold at a lower price to tempt people over, but they didn't. It's not a pro consumer move, it's a pro cunt move. This is one reason there's such hostility towards Epic.

EDIT: This is another reason as well, You know how annoying it is with all the TV apps? Like we had Netflix and that was great, but then this happened?

d3423w2g5ur21.jpg

Same thing here. Same outcome as well, I'd think. I know when Borderlands 3 came out I know a few people that just pirated it. They bought it when it hit steam, but yeah, it could have gone the other way and Gearbox could have never seen cash from those users.

Every excuse to pirate a game is lazy and completely beside the point and this is no exception. The comparison between streaming services and the Epic Game Store don't make sense either. Streaming Services are blocked off by a monthly paywall so it makes sense that people just go for one or two of those because otherwise you're looking at 100+ bucks per month of streaming fees. You don't have to pay to use Epic's store, you only pay for the games.

And if you are that petty that you'd rather not pay the developer for their game instead of paying them via another storefront then I honestly don't know what to say.

I'm not sure I see how not paying someone for a game is any different to not paying them for a film/tv show tbh, the only different is how the payment would have gone to the producer

I agree with Sly's point about too many services having a detrimental effect. It's not going to lead me to pirate games I don't think, but it has meant games that I would have probably picked up I haven't. It's less on point of principle, more that by the time they come out of the exclusivity deal they've old games (relatively)

Which is where I do agree with Sly. I don't mind that the Epic store exists, I use the Bethesda launcher, Uplay, GoG, Twitch, I have Origin but realistically nothing new is getting bought on it, I've used Game Pass. If I played Fortnite I'd have Epic. Too many launchers is annoying but it's not the reason I have issues with Epic. It's purely that I don't want to support their buying up of exclusives. They do a lot of good stuff with their reduced fees, their sales (which I have heard some devs complain about), giving away games, I'd rather them compete with Steam by making me want to use their store than me feeling like I'm being made to

6 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm not sure I see how not paying someone for a game is any different to not paying them for a film/tv show tbh, the only different is how the payment would have gone to the producer

The thing is that you're not paying more if you buy a game from another store. But I want to watch some Amazon show despite already being subbed to Netflix, I have to get another subscription. It is different.

I can get behind the principle of not wanting to support a company that buys exclusive distribution rights (I'm avoiding the Avengers game for that reason).

But none of these things justify pirating a game which at the end of the day hurts the actual developers the most.

10 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

The thing is that you're not paying more if you buy a game from another store. But I want to watch some Amazon show despite already being subbed to Netflix, I have to get another subscription. It is different.

It's not, you're still not paying someone (let's say WB) because their show is on Prime, which you don't have.

for the record, I'm not justifying piracy. I think there are justifications, but for me this isn't one of them

People know my stance on Epic and probably piracy by now so I won’t be sounding like a broken record.

I will say though that with all the bluster it’s easy to forget that Epic do support Indie devs extremely well. If their game comes out and fails to catch fire on a massive store like Steam than that’s it, no return on their investment, whereas with EGS it doesn’t matter so much how the game sells, the devs have been supported and can make another game again. A failure won’t mean job losses and a studio closure like it would on Steam. I think that is always a good thing no matter how you justify your Epic aversions.

I’m obviously not defending them in this stupid crusade against Apple they’ve got themselves into though, I’m just not really arsed either way about it. I played Fortnite on my iPad a bit when it first got popular but have never played it since. 

• 4 weeks later...

lol

2020-09-161g6k9l.png

The classic nanosuit controls are in, I've no idea what the 'non classic' suit controls are but I know it's a gripe people have with the re-releases.

I've been playing old Crysis. It's cool but dated, has all the hallmarks of modern Far Cry stuff but wide linear levels rather than a big boring copy-pasted map of outposts.