passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

Ending chat:

Spoiler

So I've said it before, but it absolutely did not stick the landing for me. I didn't 'hate' it, but I really didn't like it. 

Overall the game is a 9/10 for me, but the ending was just bad in my opinion. But that's fine. It's the first part in a possible trilogy, they have more story to tell, and as much as I thought Kingdom Hearts 3 was a mediocre game, I really enjoyed the end (apart from the forced sequel set up) so Nomura can end things quite well.

I also absolutely think the Kingdom Hearts comparisons are fair, the final none Sephiroth boss even looks like a Kingdom Hearts boss. The whispers in general look like they're out of that series.

I didn't like anything to do with the whispers to be honest, I don't think they fit this world. And even when they get explained and you go "Ooooh ok, this is a sequel/reboot like JJ's Star Trek or Mortal Kombat 9 maybe" I still thought they were the weakest part of the story. It felt a little Final Destination to me.

I am finding the backlash hilarious though. Seeing people on both sides of the fence getting genuinely angry and upset with each other. I've seen people on Twitter with tears in their eyes screaming "It isn't like Kingdom Hearts, it isn't!", it's hilarious to me.

What this feels like to me is people have waited so long for it that they're refusing to let themselves be critical of it, "I've waited 23 years for this, I WILL love it with all heart!", and those people are just as bad as the "This isn't a 1:1 remake I'll never play this!" people.

I get what that's like, I really do, I'm a hardcore Star Wars fan so this isn't the first time I've had ride the bad ending horse this year.

So in short. Great game, terrible ending, excited for the sequel, 9/10.

9 minutes ago, Nag said:

How are yo getting on with Hard mode @Rikzilla?

Really well actually. 

I'm part way through Chapter 8 at the moment. Haven't had any difficulty with the bosses yet, but I'm really practicing MP management, and I think I've found a materia combo for pretty much constant ATB gauge and no MP heals. 

It's tougher than normal mode for sure, but I'm really enjoying having to think outside the box for things.

Basically hard mode turns MP into being like estus flasks, you have to really spend time deciding whether to use that Thundaga to stun a robot or put a shield on Barret who has lifesaver on or whatever. Makes the systems very engaging.

Although I think it's stupid you can't use items outside of battle.

On the ending

Spoiler

I think for me the reason it doesn't register higher as a disappointment is I was more annoyed by how padded out this take on Midgar felt. I was never on board with the idea of remaking bits of VII as individual games and the way they did Midgar definitely did not sell me on the idea, particularly as the logistics of remaking further parts are even more difficult.

So in one sense I have a sense of relief that they don't appear to be doing that anymore, although I can't really say I think the ending is good. I enjoy though the metaness of characters literally talking like the original events are this tyrannical spirit preventing them from being free or whatever, you couldn't pick a more heavy handed metaphor.

I don't know what way things will go, I think it's sad to see people so upset by it though.

(The worst part of the padding was that Hojo dungeon, ruined the best part of Midgar for me and felt like a Dirge of Cerberus level)

(A second thought I have is that Square are wrong to market this as a good entry point to people who haven't played the original, the ending will make absolutely no sense and the game is full of scenes which expect you to remember the original game)

BTW I just unlocked nail bat last night, it's pretty bad. All the stats are about increasing crit at low HP levels so it seems like it's for the crazy challenge runners out there.

The ability you get from it is pretty cool tho. A move which changes your stance with an attack. Cloud is so fucking ninja now that it's not really fair, between disorder stance changing and counterstance. 

Hell House on hard mode has made me want to quit the game ?‍♂️

It was a pain in the arse on normal mode, but no it's just unfair.

I've tried 4 times and it's just ruined me each time and I'm not having fun any more. 

I need to level up materia now, so I need to select a chapter with a good AP grinding spot and do that for a couple of hours, then I need to do chapter 9 all over again ?‍♂️

Same.

I can get it to the 3rd phase when it's flying around, but by that time my MP is hugely depleted and I just get wiped out.

One useful tip for Aerith that might help, when it's staggered spam Soul Drain on it and you'll get back 24 MP each time.

This would be more useful to me if I could stagger it more than once ?‍♂️

[EDIT]

My girlfriend is now playing original FFVII on Switch in the living room. She's grinding Gil near Wall Market. I've had to leave the room because of all the Hell Houses.

Installed the first disc on my PRO yesterday so I was ready to record footage for my review video. 

Put in the second disc and went to load my chapter select save and got a big old "lol no we still got 50% of this beast to install" before that could happen. 

Put just over 8 hours into this so far and I think I’m near the end of Chapter 4. 

It’s safe to say I like it so far but my thoughts any further than that are still a bit up in the air. I’m enjoying my time with it but I haven’t quite connected with the characters or story yet if that makes sense. Everything so far feels like it’s still at the very beginning of a much grander, larger story and so it doesn’t really feel like much is going on in the grand scheme of things. 

I like the combat but it still feels like I only slightly understand it. The basic premise of it to stagger enemies and then deal massive amounts of damage whilst they’re down I understand but I often can’t get enemies to stagger quickly or effectively enough in fights so end up kind of giving up and whittling down their health bar with spells and abilities. I had issues with the Chapter 1 boss during the demo and still had issues here (despite knowing you had to use thunder to stagger the Scorpion quickly). Everything just feels a little inelegant, chaotic and fiddly some of the time. Fuck knows how you block or guard effectively either, I always try but the enemy has already attacked by the time I’ve got my sword up to block. This makes it sound like I hate it, which I definitely don’t, it is a ton of fun and I do enjoy it - it’s very similar to Kingdom Hearts 3 for me but I prefer that system and FFXV’s so far - but it just feels like I’m not quite understanding something about it, like all the pieces of the puzzle haven’t quite come together. I’m still early in so I’m sure that’ll come.

The characters I haven’t fully warmed too yet. Cloud comes across as cocky, morose and aloof a lot of the time, like he doesn’t want to allow himself to actually like and engage with the folks he’s hanging around with, but the last couple of hours his bristly exterior has been cracked a little. I’m hoping by the end he becomes a much more likeable dude. Biggs and Wedge are probably my faves so far as they seem the most likeable and down to earth for me, Jessie and Tifa are a little twee so far but I think Tifa will be best girl by the end of the game. 

I feel like this probably doesn’t need to be said at this point but the environments and graphics are truly astonishing. The opening Mako reactor mission isn’t too visually stunning and more on the industrial side but once you’re on the streets of Midgar marvelling at all the neon signs and plush lit streets it really is such a sight to behold. When you venture into the Slums at the start of Chapter 3 (I think) it is genuinely mind blowing seeing all the neon signs lighting up these cramped little streets, people milling about enjoying themselves and talking about the recent events in the city, everything is just teeming with life and people going about their daily lives. I think towns in RPGs are what I love the most and as soon as I arrived in that area and saw this vivid, vibrant area in front of me I just couldn’t wait to get out there and explore. 

I love the quiet moments in these kinds of games and the first half of chapter 4 going up to the

Spoiler

Plate with Jessie & co. Was absolutely superb. Sneaking in to Jessies’ parents house, hearing everyone enjoying Jessie’s Mums’ Pizza in the next room and conversely seeing the effects of years of Mako inhalation has on her Father is heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

I loved this area too, exploring the residential streets, seeing the basketball court and some kids toys that had been left on a park bench was really cool and a really nice change of pace from the other areas I’ve seen in the game thus far. 

From the presentation to the stylish combat everything about it is mightily impressive but it still feels like some special sauce is missing for me at the moment. Still early days though, I am very much enjoying it but I’m still waiting for it to fully get its hooks in me.

Lots of pics:

Spoiler

E2D463F2-1B3C-4350-8323-CC8F9E46243C.jpeg70F3A94D-3D99-4D2A-BF15-02EFC0D64E24.jpeg9F8C93E7-E469-484C-9C5A-E609CBBB7EB6.jpegE1B07385-096C-4E8B-ACFF-11837EF08C35.jpeg7C70378D-58D3-45B6-BEF4-B5603826F697.jpegDCCF59BC-CC3A-472A-93BD-5FA7496BC5DF.jpeg
AA403F68-2F44-44FD-9960-7579EEA77D23.jpegF6EAEAD8-AF0F-424E-9570-467BB033B9A6.jpegAE14C75C-0B44-4E26-82EF-DF2B0117E33F.jpeg4A4DF57A-335B-4CF1-8CEF-324ABD8AEB6B.jpegE2EB99F0-AEEC-463F-AAE0-DE4B5D31BC3F.jpeg0FA75EA1-32D5-4942-8A5A-8264F875A711.jpegE2BB39F3-B575-42FC-8243-C6DFBCBC6856.jpeg62BAEAD7-5898-474F-B6C2-D0BBF18A53E4.jpeg
D12BCD49-C24E-4FC3-BA98-18B56DF76443.jpeg91175E23-0C01-4C4D-A520-432996FA6762.jpeg

FF8D6E1B-86C1-4CF6-992E-303875E87064.jpeg

C15C843E-FCCE-421D-9512-50DAF3056ED2.jpeg

DD2DE1E0-B3EE-4F35-90D2-2EE690A9666E.jpeg

The best thing I can say is that even when it looks like an action game its basically turn based beneath it all. Dont think of block as being like Sekiro or dodge being like Bayonetta, imagine you're picking dodge and block from a menu. Its not a reactive combat system but proactive, you look at the enemy wind up attacks and dodge beforehand rather than a split second reflex like in an action game.

It's why I say these boss fights are like MMO raid bosses, it's less about skillful executions but just about following mechanics, if that makes sense. If you know a fight off by heart you can look stylish sure but I honestly spend half my time using the menus because it's still basically that kind of game.

Here's a way to think of it. When the guard scorpion finishes an attack you have maybe time enough for only one combo string, after which if the enemy isnt staggered or pressured you have to decide to block or dodge (look and see if there is a top tip on the boss telling you what attack is coming).

Speaking of pressure, enemy magic weaknesses are a good way to do that.

Its basically the opposite of something like DMC, maybe closer to Dark Souls tbh.