passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy X / X-2

Sambob

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

@Nag he beat Red Dead Redemption 2, the most boring game ever made. He'll be fine.

FFX is really slow for about 6 hours or so. I don't think it holds up tbh, at the time it was all about the fact that the graphics were fully 3D and it had voice acting.

FF X was the start of the series decline that persists to this day. Style over substance, seems to be the modern ethos. While Dragon Quest seems to be going from strength to strength, I don't think Square can make FF as good as it used to be.

You haven't even played some of the recent entries Och.

XIV got this series back on track for me, and VIIr isn't bad either (a little disappointing in parts but not style over substance).#

XIV is my favourite game of the past 5 or so years, doesn't matter that it's online or not it counts.

Er, ok @Nag ?‍♀️ it’s true I don’t have the best track record with FF but I must’ve imagined all those hours put into other JRPGs ?

FFX was actually my fave before XV as I put the most hours into it when I was younger (before struggling on a boss and giving up). 

I’ve bought FFXIII and FFXIII-2 on 360 this week too. Undecided on my order but I think I’ll go:

1. X
  2. X-2
  3. XIII
  4. XIII-2
  5. Lightning Returns
  6. VIII
  7. IX

2 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

You haven't even played some of the recent entries Och.

XIV got this series back on track for me, and VIIr isn't bad either (a little disappointing in parts but not style over substance).#

XIV is my favourite game of the past 5 or so years, doesn't matter that it's online or not it counts.

11 & 14 are a bit nebulous. No doubt from your last line, you are aware that a lot of people don't consider them part of the mainline series. I've never touched either so wouldn't include them in any discussion. Also therein excludes Remake, as I was talking about the numbered titles, not offshoots or adaptations. There are 15 mainline titles and I've played 13 of them. XV was probably the worst modern JRPG I've played in 10 years?

10 minutes ago, OCH said:

I've never touched either so wouldn't include them in any discussion

That's my point though, just because it falls outside your purview doesn't mean the game doesn't mean something to others. 

This really is turning into FF general now, but the last expac for XIV had the best story and antagonist in a FF game for me since the PS1 days. It still delivers on all those high notes you hope from a FF title, which is the main thing I wanted to address against your 'style over subtance' point. The barrier to entry is much higher admittedly but it shows that there are people working on these games who know what makes Final Fantasy great. In fact the next single player Final Fantasy is rumoured to be made up of FFXIV creative leads and staff.

7 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

That's my point though, just because it falls outside your purview doesn't mean the game doesn't mean something to others. 

You misunderstood the context of that line. So let's make this clearer:

Based on the 15 out of 13 FF games I've played - excluding 11 & 14 - The mainline FF series has been in a state of decline since 10. Style over substance IE They were so busy making a shining new battle system for 13 they forgot to give it a decent plot or any level of characterisation and charm.

46 minutes ago, mfnick said:

@DisturbedSwan Sorry I may have missed somewhere but that list, does it mean you’re starting FFX soon? If so when? I’m getting it in PS4 sale so would be good to have someone else playing it around the same time if you are planning on playing it soon? 

Yeah, it’s my intended order of playing the past games in the series. As soon as I get paid on Thursday I’m buying X/X-2, VIII Remastered and IX in the PS4 sale and I’ll be playing X first. I have to get VIIR finished before starting it though. 

26 minutes ago, bellow said:

@DisturbedSwan can u time it so you get to play 9 around the July mark. I'm trying to get a forum playthru together for that one

Yeah will definitely give it a go ?