passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Control

Nag

This game has reminded me of why I havent played a single fps or more than 1 tps this gen. It's this bloody screen shit they do. Or how in Uncharted everything goes monochrome when you're low on health so you cant see anything

Here it's really bad cause it gets so dark and red that you cant see the dark red weirdos and oddities causing you grief in your dark surroundings. It makes even less sense when there is a perfectly fine health bar in the corner (which doesnt regen btw so you have permanent shit screen until you get health back)

Why shooting games use this terrible way of telling you your health I'll never understand. Its fucking awful.

I think most of the time it’s done well enough but only suits cinematic games where they want as less UI as possible. It doesn’t make sense to do it if you don’t regen health (because the player needs to know how much they have) or they have a health bar on screen (defeats the purpose).

See also: Resident Evil Code Veronica. Characters bend over and drag their feet behind them when health is critical. 

Only time I will ever say something nice about Code Veronica.

Even if that specific example is hard to implement in a game about doing Matrix shit, there are lots of ways around this problem that don't pollute the viewing space with garbage. Games are trying to be more accessible these days I thought.

Admittedly I havent put nearly enough time in to say one way or the other but from what I saw I was super into the style of it. But I hate TPS, so it's a difficult thing for me. I really need an easy mode or something

I wonder how many of the reviews played the Ray tracing version on PC cause that looks beautiful.

We live in a world where Dragon Age Inquisition became Game Award's GOTY 2014 so everything's possible basically.

Also I don't think Control doesn't deserve it. It's just their opinion at the end of the day and no publication should be forced to go with the safe choice (probably RE 2 this year) just to rub as little people the wrong way as possible.

It's all style over substance to me, when you can get by with a story that's weird and nonsensical because you're in a weird and nonsensical place and that's all the reason you need, well... I'll just lose interest there.

The fact that there was also the massive performance issues at launch and the gameplay being actually not that great should've detracted from it too.

Anyway, anyone with half a brain knows who was this years MVP... it rhymes with Lapbomb.

There's nothing really nonsensical about it, just some stuff that doesn't get a conclusion. It is weird, yes, but why is this often used a negative in this context? Why can't a game be weird anymore? Didn't people like Alan Wake for being weird? A game which, by the way, made a lot less sense than Control when you start thinking about it.

The gameplay was fine too. I've never played a game that nailed the telekinesis-style approach to combat as well as Control. Fallen Order's Force Pull and Push for example feel really outdated compared to how smooth and efficient Jessie throws stuff around.

Performance on console is miserable though, there's no denying that. Game balance can also be pretty awful with some optional bosses. And the map is garbage. It's not perfect certainly, but a solid game IMO.

Solid sounds one step above serviceable tbh, surely a game of the year should be exceptional?

Anyway, I know this is all opinions and that and IGN are certainly entitled to theirs, even though its plainly wrong.:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really liking this. I can see the frustration with the checkpoints but I've not died all that much so it's not been too bad. The map is terrible though, particularly when you're trying to do a side mission. I'm not even sure the game does that thing where it literally points you in the right direction after a cut scene. 

I found Control quite creepy at the start. I guess this just resonates with some people more than others. I've got a few powers, the telekinesis, dodge, shield and a mind control thing I'll never remember I have. Enjoying it a lot, I'm surprised more people here didn't