passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Centy

Going prone in veteran pretty much means insta death....especially in that bit, its a cross section with two guys either side of you, I really cant see how lyinng down their would help. Maybe smoke grenades but i dont think you can get them at that point.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For that section there is a sweet spot where you can just throw a grenade or flashbang down either or both corridors and run like fuck and kill whichever guy you come across. Be warned, just after that there are plenty more times you will die before seeing a checkpoint, though.

The checkpoints in No Fighting are a bit harsh. The first few hours i spent doing it i thought you had to do from the kitchens onwards to the end of the level as one chunk - turns out i spent too long fannying around in the first bit of the level and the game wasnt giving me a checkpoint because it assumed i wouldnt do the rest of the level in time. the first time I died after blowing up the wall before the War Room and had to do almost the whole level again i nearly cried.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before MW2 gets in my mitts I'm gonna play through this again, just on regular though, I'm doing it on a purely story telling reason. I was thinking that MW2 is probably the the first one that directly follows from a previous game (maybe WaW did from CoD3, I dunno, I never played that one). Its just I don't remember a whole lot form CoD4, I remember the nuke bit, the end and that television station bit from trying to do it on veteran and giving up (I think I did get past it though, but it was still a major slog). Its just when I play any game like this whether it be GoW or Halo I don't pay that much attention to the story as it doesn't seem that important, I'm gonna pay attention this time and find out the craic and I will on MW2 aswell, to see if it can push boundries as much as some of its scenes point too.

I was intending to get through it in a few days but I'm having trouble climatising to CoD gameplay since its been about two years since I played any of its single player campaigns, I keep running ahead like its Halo or summet. Story wise everything seems set up so far.. just need to get passed this bit I'm on..

Done. Better than I remember it being to be honest, well the game itself is. I didn't need to bother following the story, just getting the gist of it works. Its hard to get more than the gist by the way its told through those maps and profiles with a voice over during the loading screens. The big dramatic stuff in-game is fantastic but the rest could be done much better and MW2 looks like it does the same thing. Oh well, still a great action game, though.

• 3 months later...

After missing the maps from this I went back to it tonight.

I have to say the original maps are the only things left worth going back for - the customisation is much better in the sequel and the grenade spam is terrible.

There's still thousands of people playing it though, more so than most multiplayer games even a month after they come out, let alone one that's been out for 2 and a half years.

• 1 year later...

Just been reading back through the last five or so pages of this thread, as I've just fired up CoD4's multiplayer for a few games. Oh the good times we had back then! :weep::D

The maps are still fantastic, they hold up as you'd expect and they just feel so tight and well laid out. As Hendo mentioned last March, there is a fair bit of grenade spamming, which is CoD4's biggest downfall on returning to it from the newer games. What really surprised me is the presentation in the menus, the text is massive and it looks really tacky now. The whole perk and weapons system seems really basic too, but it's all I needed back then. It was good to return for a few games, I only had four matches of normal TDM but enjoyed what I played. It certainly brought back a lot of good memories.

Oh, in the Xbox Live section before you enter the lobby it says: COD4's Message of the Day... '4 days till Modern Warfare 2 World Premiere. NBA Conference Finals on TNT this Sunday, May 24th.' You'd think they could have got rid of the message of the day. I had an update when I fired it up.

• 5 years later...

I've played Modern Warfare Remastered up to the beginning of All Ghillied Up. It looks fantastic, Raven have done a superb job. Gameplay and sound are the same, except now you have gun effects through the controller speaker, and it plays as wonderfully as it did nine years ago. It's so good to be playing the campaign again, I thought it might feel a bit dated but it's a refreshing change from the futuristic double-jump shooters I've been played of late. 

27 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Sounds fantastic Ed, I'm very jealous, can't wait to give it a go in a months time *sobs*

At least this way I'll get to play it rather than just jumping straight into the multiplayer. Really looking forward to that. :D

Yep @Hendo, a minimum effort reskin this is not.

• 5 weeks later...

Started playing MWR earlier today.

Thought I'd try the multiplayer first, I was never that enamoured with CoD4's MP, it was MW2 that I properly got hooked on (and I believe) perfected the formula.

But yeah, tried the MP and didn't really have a good time with it at all, it was so incredibly slow compared to recent CoDs and I just got my arse handed to me time after time, so many snipers about you carefully make your way round a corner and *blup* you're dead, wasn't much fun at all and I really doubt I'll go back to it, just felt dated to me and not in a good way.

The campaign though was much better, only played the Prologue and the first two missions but yeah it's possibly even more impressive than I remember it being. I remembered the training section but Raven seem to have expanded on it slightly, but the tanker I barely remembered at all, such a great mission and just writhing in atmosphere. 

Its such an impressive remaster, built from the ground up and it shows, everything looks like you remember it but it has that current-gen sheen to it and the fog/particle effects are mighty impressive, can't wait to play through more of it, sure there's a lot more missions I've forgotten.

A couple of pics:

IMG_20161104_201345.jpg

IMG_20161104_201338.jpg

Yeah, that's fair enough, it just felt a bit old hat to me really, but yeah, if you prefer that slower, more grounded style of play than you may still get a kick out of it I just think I've been spoilt in the last few years with AW, Blops 3 and now IW really as they're so suited to the way I play and seem to make me semi-decent rather than horrendous (as I am at MWR's MP).

Played a bit more of the SP campaign today and loved every minute, it's so much better than I remember it being (didn't remember hardly any of the middle-eastern levels) with the story, level design and effects, love everything about it, it's such a fantastic remaster, still manages to wow and amaze even all these years later, a real triumph.

Up to the end of Act 1 now, still getting by quite comfortably on Veteran, there's been a couple of hairy moments with an enemy Helicopter in 'Blackout' but overall its been pretty easy really, 'Death from Above' made me really uncomfortable as well, you're killing all these people in an AC-130 in black & white and the commentator is going 'good kill', 'hoorah', 'that's them wiped out woo' etc., I remember this level from the original and just thought wtf? at the time, but now I'm older and wiser I can appreciate how controversial this level could of seemed.

After playing this, my first 'Remaster' ever really, I'm coming to terms with how people can love them and want to pay money for them, CoD4 is a 9 year old game though, and I still think late late-last-gen era games getting remasters are nothing more than quick cash grabs, you can see that MWR has had the attention and money that it deserves thrown at it though, and I really hope MW2 gets the same treatment in 2/3 years time as I prefer that game to CoD4 overall in my memories.

Just the phrase 'remember, no russian' sends goosebumps down my spine.

Played a bit more of the campaign today, made it all through the USMC bit on Veteran unscathed, 'War Pig' was a bit annoying at times, but just stayed patient and got through it in the end, saw the big ol' Nuke moment where Jackson dies in the Helicopter and everything, pretty damn impressive and looked so much better than I remember it being, it sounds silly but I just remember it being really red and hardly able to see where as the H-Bomb's look (and the devastation with it) was much more water-painting this time around and dare I say it a bit more beautiful, maybe that sounds silly, but the whole destroyed beauty stuff, it had that in spades.

I have to say I didn't remember a lot of the USMC missions, I remembered the bit where you siege the building with night-vision goggles, and rescuing the tank but that was about it really, didn't really think they were all that brilliant at the SAS missions in Azerbaijan/Kazakhstan and the like aren't too memorable either, very dull environs too.

But yeah, eventually got to the crem dela crem of the MWR missions All Ghillied Up and it was just as brilliant as I remember it being, much shorter than I remember though, and it was over in a flash, quite moving at times, was the music always this good or did they get someone in to re-do the score for MWR? No idea. Really not looking forward to doing the Helicopter ex-filtration in the Helicopter at the Chernobyl ferris wheel on Veteran, going to be incredibly difficult, I'll try to stick with it though.

Some pics below:

Cwra_qvXEAAYXnJ.jpg

CwrbS1UWQAAftTD.jpg

Cwrn4v7W8AAg9hl.jpg

CwroqEvWgAAme0i.jpg

Finished this on Veteran earlier.

Didn't have too much trouble but had to stay patient at times. A bit at the end of 'one shot one kill' wasn't too bad in the end, watched a guide yesterday which said to plant all your claymores and C4 in a certain place and stand behind the corner of this building where enemies can't get you, then throw all your grenades out when the chopper gets there and good you don't get shot picking up McMillan and taking him to the chopper, managed it on the second try :)

No fighting in the war room was a bit more tricky but I just used plenty of flash bangs, kept moving and didn't find it too bad, had to keep my patience though.

Tried Mile High Club, but fuck that, seemed impossible.

Really enjoyed it though, was probably the last CoD that wasn't overly bombastic with less spectacle and more focus on the story, characters and missions than bombast. With that being said though I still prefer MW2 as I believe the spectacle and bombast in that just put the game on another level, combined with the fantastic missions. Playing MW again now though is a breath of fresh air.

The remaster is fantastic as well and it looks amazing, runs incredibly well and is really beautiful at times, sometimes things like animations show the games true age, but it's a very minor thing.