passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

It also mentions low fantasy settings like GoT, which is usually about more mundane worlds with elements of magic in them. GoT is just medieval era Britain/Ireland with dragons and zombies, sort of like how SMT is modern day Tokyo with demons.

I dunno, don't want to squabble about the definition too much. Fantasy is a broad genre with influences all over the place is my point I guess.

I think I was making that point when the question was whats your favourite sci-fi games.  They're very similar really, especially when they go into impossible technology that is like magic or beings that are very supernatural no matter how much logic they try to use.  Even Star Trek goes there at times.

SMT is post apocalypse but the apocalypse was the rapture so I think that pulls it away from a more real or even sci-fi version.

SMT has a lot of old folklore demons in it tbf

anyway, I'll go with the obvious answer and say Witcher. I'm not really a big fantasy fan really but I love the book and games

I'll also throw in Folklore on the PS3 just because a few of us have invoked the name. That was a cool game, probably too modern in setting I suppose, but it's definitely fantasy based

Oh god...

ME1-63d6.jpg

Readers discuss their favourite science fiction video games, from Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic to Deus Ex.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic follows on from last week’s about fantasy games and while it allowed for licensed games it also encouraged people to also discuss their favourite franchises that are unique to video games.

There were surprising omissions – nobody mentioned Halo – but also some games that came up again and again, especially Mass Effect and Star Wars titles.

You can have Metroid for this one @OCH😂

Maybe a modifier but what was the last great science fiction game? The first thing I go to is Transistor which was 2014…

Returnal is also great but the science fiction aspect is very secondary to the game play. Even then I think it’s space horror mystery is stronger than it’s actual sci-fi 

Control had a pretty intriguing setup where it's like there are edges of our reality we don't fully understand and here's our best effort at dealing with it all. I like that area of sci fi where it's all about the known unknowns.

Loses its appeal a bit when you do the DLC tho. I think when you get into the horror part of the science fiction spectrum there's such a thing as too much and it gets a bit old.

Tbh though I actually don't thinking gaming is my preferred medium for science fiction, cause the appeal of sci fi is the speculative aspect of it and all that comes to mind for that is Deus Ex, which is great moreso for its game design rather than its themes and setting (at least the one I played, I never touched the Adam Jensen ones for more than a couple hours). Deus Ex is like, what if all the conspiracies you heard were real, also we predicted 9-11 a year before it happened. But I find that in gaming science fiction is more aesthetical than cerebral, which is especially a thing in something like Cyberpunk 2077 where it doesn't really commentate as much on what cyberpunk is as some of its inspirations (imo).

Obviously Mass Effect is one of the ones that really does work but talked on it a lot already

gaming is a great genre for fantasy tho and is my preferred way to get that fix over novels and movies.