passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

The main deterrent to FOMO games for me is that I have too many on the shelf at the moment. Games like Callisto Protocol and Tactics Ogre: Reborn, for example. Are still in the plastic they arrived in on day one. When I first got the PS5, I thought I would play it smart and only get a new game when I finished an older one. Like when I was a kid and had to wait for new games. But, having a quick count of physical games (not including the digital only on Switch and PS5) I have twenty games at the moment. I've only completed two (InFamous Second Son & TMNT: Shredders Revenge)...😭

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

@Nag what’s the biggest time this site has hyped you up for a game and then when playing it you were like “those muthafuckas” 

Tbf I'm struggling to think of one... I mean I'll probably blame @one-armed dwarf 100% if I hate Baldur’s Gate...😂

gta is the game that usually gets me on the hype. i usually finish games as i usually play stuff i know i'll like, although sometimes keep playing even if i'm not enjoying them too much, think if i'm really hating something i'll quit though.

59 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

If I get one games grace to recommend something to nag then I'm going to spend it on Pathologic 2 instead of Baldurs Gate

Fucking hell are you actively trying to give me depression.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Maybe I’m old but I don’t typically get FOMO from social media and stuff like that, I get FOMO from review scores. A game called Shiren the Wanderer got a 9/10 the other day (and I guess backed up by game devs I follow on Twitter who were excited by it so maybe some social media) but I know that game is a procedurally generated dungeon crawler but ooh 9/10 maybe I should play it 

Seems like that IP just had its own Armored Core VI moment with the recent entry, but I doubt that'll be enough to convince someone who previously didn't like it. It's just a fundamentally better version of what came before, not a different take on it.

I do see the point of the whole FOMO discussion but for whatever reason I think I'm completely over it.* I went through the entirety of 2023 without having played Zelda, RE4 and Baldur's Gate and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I might play some or all of these at some point, or I might not. I think it's more important playing what aligns with what you're currently looking for instead of what the release calendar and hype cycle tells you to. And 'important' is kind of a stretch here, it's all just videogames in the end anyway.

*Edit: not entirely true on second thought. I think if there ever was another multiplayer game that seemed interesting to me I would probably get that Day 1 because some of those become borderline  impenetrable if you try hopping in months down the line.

I’ve never played a Shiren game. But I played the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and it was terrible so I’m basing my probably dislike for it on that!

But these 9/10’s make me be like what up, Shiren, how’s it go 👀

3 hours ago, Nag said:

Fucking hell are you actively trying to give me depression.

No, I'm sorry I said that, don't take that suggestion seriously. What about Helldivers 2? It's like that one film by the robocop guy, you should buy it quickly though (sometime between Monday and Wednesday)

3 hours ago, Maf said:

But these 9/10’s make me be like what up, Shiren, how’s it go 👀

Kind of irrelevant if you don't like that subgenre though. You could shove a 11/10 Madden in my face and I'd still hate it.

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

No, I'm sorry I said that, don't take that suggestion seriously. What about Helldivers 2? It's like that one film by the robocop guy, you should buy it quickly though (sometime between Monday and Wednesday)

I need @Maf to lend me some money... he's rich you know.

It's my birthday in a few weeks so you never know I might get some unexpected credit/money... or @Maf could just give me some for being nice to him on here.