passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC Cinematic Universe

DisturbedSwan

Almost as if that is what a Batman film is... Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were failures, after all.

The Batman

Tonally consistent from start to finish, and yes, that tone is dark. The descriptive for Dune is accurate here too - This is a joyless film. There is no levity or comedic moments here. To me, that's a good thing. Your mileage may vary.

Forget all the shared universe Batman stuff of the last few years. This is early days Batman. A masked vigilante that is at odds with law enforcement as opposed to endorsed by them (save for Jim Gordon, naturally). They visibly show beat cops being on edge next to him. This also represents one of the strengths of the film. That of portraying the fear evoked by Batman. The opposite of Bale's Bat-Rasp. You have Pattinson's grim silence. Criminals jumping at shadows because they think the Batman is in all of them. That and his detective skills are welcome additions that should have been showcased to this level a lot sooner.

As for actors, it is all change. Pattinson is a solid, fledgling Batman. Andy Serkis is a good Alfred. Although he doesn't get much to do. Colin Farrell was virtually unrecognisable as Penguin. Clearly taking a bit of inspiration from Robert De Niro, Al Pachino etc Being a lot more faithful to the source material than Danny DeVito previously.

Paul Dano shines as The Riddler. Finally doing the character justice on the big screen. Zoë Kravitz is a strong Catwoman. Not my favourite. But better than the last few. Jeffrey Wright is also a good Jim Gordon. With a little too much Felix Leiter in the dialogue, to my ear.

It is a long film, just under 3 hours. While it is more stylised than I expected. Your tolerance for that level of a constant  grim tone, might put you off. But one minor niggle aside (spoiler based, so no) I enjoyed this Batman more than Affleck's iteration. 8/10

The Long Halloween. While also a bit of Batman Year One and Zero Year.

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

Do they pull some bullshit where he’s parents were also corrupt?

No. But they are given a more contemporary backstory.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to watch Batman yesterday, and enjoyed it quite a lot. It's not up there with Begins but it's better than the last couple.

It's slower, it is probably too long but if not for its length I think they'd have moved away from the more detective feel to the story. There's a few pointless things in there, I'm not sure Penguin needs to be in it, but maybe that's to set up the next film.

In terms of themes

Spoiler

It's an interesting commentary about the fandom. When you think about what's happened around Batman films since Dark Knight, it's a rare bit of social commentary on their own fandom

Or maybe I'm reading too much in to it but I suspect not, the use of forums and copycats is a little too pointed

Spoiler

So for Riddler, they went with a Zodiac Killer vibe. For Joker, it seems like Hannibal Lecter. It is interesting. To sever the more cartoony aspects of Batman's rogues gallery. By basing them on more realistic criminal interpretations.

Clearly heavily burned too. I like it. For what it is.

It wasn't in the film. So ultimately it becomes as relevant as the blooper reel or other such DVD extras.

Rumours have already started circulating about the villain of The Batman 2 and ain't him. Deleted scenes, wherein they went to the time and effort to film it, are normally removed for such reasons. There was a similarly elaborately filmed scene in X-Men 2, with Cyclops and Professor X. Plus the infamous "Rogue cut" of Days of Future Past.

10 hours ago, OCH said:

It wasn't in the film. So ultimately it becomes as relevant as the blooper reel or other such DVD extras.

You don’t think a films blooper reels or dvd extras have spoilers in them if you’ve not seen the film?

• 3 weeks later...