passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC Cinematic Universe

DisturbedSwan

I still don't quite understand what the movie is supposed to be. From what I've gathered they added a completely different villain (Darkseid) into it which kind of makes a lot of the stuff that happens in the original redundant. But they also seem to keep all that, because the movie wouldn't be friggin' 4 hours long otherwise.

Is this what FFVII Remake was, but for movies?

So instead of a two hour-ish train wreck, it will be four hours? I don't know how increasing the length of this film will improve it. I really can't see it being that removed from the first cut, either. As it should still echo most of the same story beats.

Some of the reviews I saw were fairly rotten so it's surprising to see really positive ones.

I guess this will be another Watchmen type of thing. I am really curious about it just cause it retcons out an entire tentpole film from existence with its cancelled director. I can't think of anything similar to that ever happening.

There are probably a lot of outside forces influencing the reviews in either direction ("I sat through this but it's still shit" – "This is Snyder's vindication!" etc.).

I'm a bit intrigued to be honest but I have no idea how to watch this in Europe. Maybe it'll be on the Movies thing on Xbox? I'll check that one out on the weekend.

Really good idea to finetune your movie's look to the iMax aspect ratio in this day and age.

You might think they'd actually go the other way and try to go full-on 16:9 so that people have it all full-screen on their TVs at home, where they're going to watch a VOD-only movie...

Aspect ratio isn't a big deal for me personally, tbh is there even a significant difference in screen estate lost between 4:3 and the way most films are letter boxed (I don't actually know but it doesn't seem that significant)

Main thing keeping me from checking it is it's 4 hours long and I think it's only on Now TV which do horrible low bitrate 720 streams, now that triggers the fuck out of me lol.

2 hours ago, OCH said:

The four hours does it for me. I can't bring myself to watch it. Even if Darkseid is now a feature.

You can watch it over multiple sittings.

Regarding the 4:3 thing, I'm watching it now (about 10 mins in) and I've already stopped noticing it really. I've no idea what the fucks going on as I've not watched any of the films that lead into it apart from Man of Steel.

@mmmark
whilst I completely get what you're saying, it is very jarring for a Hollywood blockbuster to be in a different screen ratio. I ended up watching about 45 mins of JL in the end, I forgot about the screen ratio thing pretty quickly. It seems ok to me. It's broken down into slightly obnoxious sounding chapters so there are obvious point to stop and resume watching. I'll probably finish it off this evening.

It might be jarring for about 10 seconds but if you’re going to bin a film off regardless of budget because of its aspect ratio, that’s just dumb. It might be even worse than people that don’t watch films with subtitles because “they want to watch a film not read a book lol”.

Feedback for this really is all over the place. Or at least my internet bubble powered by facebook and google is making me perceive it this way. On one end it's blowing every Marvel movie out of the water, on the other hand it's just the same dull thing as it was originally, but two hours longer. I kind of expect the truth being closer to the latter though.

11 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Mark Kermode talked about it and said it was an improvement, but also it was now 'consistently dull' rather than a fragmented bore.

I'm normally pretty inline with Kermodes take on things but his ww84 review was pretty far off the mark I thought (he liked it).

I'm quite looking forward to getting back to JL if I'm honest, which I genuinely didn't expect.