passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Since I absolutely adore Binding of Isaac, when Spelunky came along, given the same positive reception from similar sources, I thought I'd try it. Didn't like it at all. The controls, art design, any of it really. I've played a few Rogue-likes since and I'd put at the bottom of the pile. Certainly nowhere near the league of BoI.

Meanwhile,

As I've now got a three month Switch online subscription (Yes, purely to play Super Mario All-Stars) I've had a little morning of gaming, on my first day off of this week. I jumped straight in to SMB 3. The controls aren't as tight as I remember? Maybe it is a controller thing. The last time I played these ports was with a SNES controller. The Pro-controller is quite cumbersome in contrast. Going for a 100% run and got upto World 4 before I accidently used one of the whistles, instead of the Fire Flower next to it. Scratch that attempt.

Then I decided to have a look at the rest of the SNES library. Although "library" is being generous. The fact I had to buy a poxy online subscription to play this, I expected next to all of the SNES back catalogue. Not just the edited highlights of the SNES Mini.?

Anyway, while browsing through the limited range, it reminded me that I've never completed Super Metroid. Which I got totally lost in, as it is so non-linear. Before being trapped in a corridor I think I wasn't supposed to be in at my level? No soft reset option, so that was my cue to leave that one too.

Lastly returned to Super Mario World. The greatest 2D Mario and it has aged very well indeed. Considering I have the memory of a sieve, it is amazing how much of this game came back to me. I'm on the fourth world and I've already found all the secret courses of the prior three and completed the Star Road all the way upto the entrance to the Special Stages (not attempting them just yet). 

For whatever reason Amazon decided to populate its recommended stuff with a bunch of weird, anime, Switch games I’ve never heard of

91sWQPz9ReL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Think this game is too horny for me

816fDI8H3rL._AC_SY879_.jpg

I feel it. I remember being a teenager.

710Pe9eIBjL._AC_SY879_.jpg

This is a level of moral philosophy I’m just not high enough for right now

11 hours ago, Maf said:

Which one? Because when I clicked on these it kept showing me a game called Cold Steel Tales 3 or something. Google says the game is good but only fools trust Google. 

Trails of Cold Steel is supposedly a phenomenal JRPG series but you have to play all six (?) games or so to understand it so that's kind of a hurdle. 

12 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Trails of Cold Steel is supposedly a phenomenal JRPG series but you have to play all six (?) games or so to understand it so that's kind of a hurdle. 

That reminds me of a random GAME purchase many years back. I've always been drawn to special edition boxsets and there was this one for... I wanna say Xenosaga? It was a fancy card box with an extra disc. The extra disc was a 'story so far' kind of thing. Except it was so long I fell asleep during it?

Yeah, they did that because the first one (?) never got released in Europe. It's a bit of a bumpy alternative, watching a game's cutscenes just to get the story. It's nice they added it but it just doesn't work as well as simply having played it.

The problem with old school...

When you've only played later iterations in a series, going back the "classics" can be rough. Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one such example. Having played Smash and later generation games, Kirby moves like a tank in this one. He has no speed or agility without power-ups. Although I did also encounter the thing the series is known for: a near complete lack of difficulty. The game does throw 1up's at you like they are sweets (five on level 1, alone). I gave up after world 1, as I wasn't really getting anything out of it.

Super Metroid is another case. I started playing the series with Metroid Fusion. Followed by Prime 1 & 3, then Other M. The seminal classic, SM, in comparison is frustrating. I just got the Shine Spark. Except it is clunky and doesn't work in the same way as it is later refined. Oh and the bit I mentioned I was stuck on earlier, seemed to stump a lot of people. Because there is a Dash Button. Which you wouldn't know until that corridor demanded it. I might not finish this one either. I even vaguely recall enjoying Other M more than this, so far.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying Other M, it's a fun game with surprisingly enjoyable combat. It just fails miserably as a Metroid title, which is a bit of a problem since it has that word written on the cover.

Super Metroid hasn't aged perfectly but lets be honest here, for a game that came out over 25 years ago it holds up really well. Imagine playing the first Uncharted in 2032...

37 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Super Metroid hasn't aged perfectly but lets be honest here, for a game that came out over 25 years ago it holds up really well.

I just got the Grapple Beam...?

Has anyone ever done a swinging mechanic well?