passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Absolutely loved Moon Knight Ep.1.

I know absolutely nothing about the character whatsoever so was going in pretty much blind (apart from what I'd seen in the trailers). Just really weird and the violence really surprised me, seeing dead bodies and Blood in a Marvel TV series is pretty bonkers. 

I pretty much loved everything about it. The mystery around the character and trying to work out what the hell is going on, as well as trying to get a grip on what is reality and what is a warped version of it from his mind. Cinematography is excellent too, I saw a tweet afterwards that the fountain scene is actually inverted if you look closely and stuff like that is super clever to me.

I thought Isaac's London accent was pretty decent, it did go a little Dick Van Dyke at times but overall I was quite impressed with it considering how bad I thought it would be. 

CGI was horrendous when he's driving the van though but it was brief enough that it didn't affect the episode overall. Looking forward to Ep. 2.

I heard someone say about the accent that it could be the way it is because that's not really him. Steven is the made up persona so the accent he's putting on is very stereotypical.

But that could just be an excuse for a not great English accent. And none of the other characters in the show pull him up for talking like that.

It didn't really distract me from the show but when other people pointed it out I was like yeah, I guess it's a bit OTT. 

Moon Knight - Episode 2

While I still enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as episode one. This being the more action-oriented episode. Nice bit of world building though. Also a nice nod that fans of Moon Knight's comic iterations will appreciate. Although used without the same context. 8/10

Moon Knight Ep2 is pretty decent until the last 20 minutes then it gets really awesome. Basically when the suit comes in to it, the show becomes a lot of fun. 

I like that the suit gives him powers. It’s a superhero trope that I don’t feel like I’ve seen for a while, especially not in the MCU, and it makes Moon Knight different and fun

The bad guy is a bit boring, but aren’t they always 

It’s funny that this show is the most disconnected from any MCU thing yet. I don’t think I’ve caught even a reference to anything in the wider universe. Except this time the thing I am interested in the most is how it connects to the MCU. Does Thor know of Konshu for example. I bet they would hate each other. And how does Moon Knight fit in to the power rankings of these other characters. The show has given him a huge buff compared to the comics

A friend of mine hoped that..

Spoiler

Steven stays in the "mirror"

As he is (and I quote) "such a loser".

The lack of connective tissue is a plus point for me. Not every character needs it anymore.

Moon Knight - Episode 3

Continuing on with the world building, in a big way, and flipping the script on Marc this time around. This has the vibe of being close to the end now. So it is good to see they haven't filled in every mystery and plot point yet. 8/10

Also of note: This episode marks the appearance of Gaspard Ulliel. The actor who died in January.

Really enjoyed Moon Knight Ep.3.

The second episode bored me a little bit overall, I still enjoyed it but something about it didn't quite resonate for some reason or another so Ep. 3 is a resounding return to form.

Really enjoyed all the Egyptian iconography and Mark, Leila & Co. exploring Cairo. 

I think I really like Moon Knight when it’s about Moon Knight and Konshu and like it less when it’s about Steven, Mark and Layla. I really like the supernatural, mystical and huge elements of this show but am not that interested in the people or their drama. I think that’s why I still want Konshu to interact with Thor or even Celestials. The stuff that was done in episode 3 is huge and must have been noticed by lots of elements of the MCU, not just the Egyptian gods. To me that is the more interesting part.

I think this show looks excellent as well. Everything looks super high quality and all their Egyptian scenery and exotic, treasure hunting atmosphere is really cool. 

It’s a shame this is apparently a one and done season and it’s so self contained. I wouldn’t mind Marvel doing more limited shows like that, but in this instance I’m really liking Moon Knight and would like to see how this fits in with other MCU elements. Instead knowing it’s a one and done and seeing no references to anything else comes across as no one is really committed to this show. It exists to fill D+ content quota.

I dunno. Maybe I’m reading too much in to it, but this show seems like it exists by luck. That D+ needs Marvel to make shit and Oscar Isaac said yes to one season. 

It's the equivalent of a limited series, Maf. Just like with Wandavision. They had a story for Moon Knight they wanted to tell and that was it. Every single bloodbath the Punisher enters into would end very quickly if every other Superhero in New York got involved.

As for the other elements of the MCU. The Celestials especially, wouldn't notice these events or care. They are above such things. They are 100% faithful to the source material in that sense. Thor is currently in deep space and Dr. Strange has his own problems. So events like Khonshu's little light show basically can happen within a bubble.

Wandavision makes absolute sense why they couldn't do another one. But it still comes from and leads in to other MCU movies. So even though it's its own story, clearly Wanda wasn't done. I mean the show technically ends on a cliff hanger. So it's this really smart thing where it's completely unique to itself but can be used for something different after. 

On the other hand Moon Knight feels absolute stand alone to the point it's almost like a spare part lying around. They can do more with it, or add it in later if they want too, but it also has no part in the wider universe, to the point they won't even reference it. Despite the things happening in the show are so cosmic it absolutely should, which is why it's weird there are no connections. 

100% Moon Knight will pop up somewhere later, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel has no idea when or where right now. My pure speculation is Oscar Issac agreed to one, short season so he has a foothold in the MCU and can get free cheques later when they want him to do this cameo or that cameo. And for Marvel it helps get shit on D+ while setting up another franchise they can use later, if needed. My conspiracy theory to why it's so stand alone. 

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

And for Marvel it helps get shit on D+ while setting up another franchise they can use later, if needed. My conspiracy theory to why it's so stand alone. 

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all. I think the big push for variety on D+ is Marvel covering their bases. Should the film crowds start to sour from oversaturation.

The thing with Oscar Isaac as well, he's a Movie Actor. So I imagine not cheap to headline a TV series long term.

My take is that unless they feature Movie Characters, the shows won't be relevant to the films. Moon Knight will likely next appear in the way Matt Murdock has, since the end of the Netflix shows. Perhaps a "New Avengers" movie role, further down the line.

However, there is currently a lot of expectations/hype being geared up towards the appearances of the Fantastic Four and X-Men though. If done properly, they might overshadow everyone from the prior MCU, barring Spider-Man.

Saw this on Twitter

FQo8QqYXEAQvDVm?format=jpg&name=large

Taika Waititi said he got really in to the Jason Aaron Thor run. 

Even the rock formations look the same. Crazy.

EDIT: Thought The Batman was out today but no, so I watched Venom 2 instead. It's kind of a worse movie than the first one, but a lot more fun because Venom is in it more. There were a few jokes where Venom really made me laugh. He was so funny and the best part of the movie for sure. 

Carnage I thought looked the part but wasn't quite there. He didn't sound right, he didn't act right. There's a bit where Carnage causes a tornado by spinning around like the Tasmanian Devil which was funny, but like what. Woody Harrelson does Cletus Kassady well enough (Not that Cletus really has much character, he's just a vehicle for Carnage, really). They don't even try to explain why Carnage is stronger, and Carnage isn't in the movie very much. 

I think Venom movies have a fundamental problem where as long as it's Venom fighting another Venom then it's a sludgy mess in the fight scenes and hard to tell what's going on. Kind of like the Transformers movies. When the Transformers start fighting it's hard to tell where one ends and one begins. I found the same thing here. 

It's kind of a bad movie. Barely any story, barely any logic. The humour is like it fell out of a mid 2000's film. Anytime when Venom wasn't around I found myself checking the iPad.

Overall I actually liked it and though it was fun. Sounds like I'm complaining more than praising, but Venom was funny and carried the whole movie.

@Maf just remember this thread is for MCU stuff. Personally I think what you've posted relevant enough, but (the comic bit in particular) seemingly is a bit much for some in terms of comic book nerdery. 

Basically, I don't think this post was a problem, but just a general pointer that MCU is very much Marvel-lite 

Not that I've really any skin in this (as blakey said lol) but seems pretty germane imo, and a cool attention to detail.

I keep falling for these trailers tho, the newer films have such interesting trailers but I end up having the same reaction to the films themselves as the older ones. Christain Bale is apparently playing the villain so hopefully that works on some level cause he rarely disappoints imo, except as John Connor