passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Looks about on-brand, seems neat and will catch on streaming

On the integration of X-Men, I dunno if the idea here is they just chuck in a bunch of 'variants' into the existing universe or try and do it from the ground up. Tom from Cruises make it pretty clear this is some other Logan, I mean I guess that's inevitable  

The villain looks good, I wonder how far they will go with representing her powers onscreen?

Although the Marvels already said X-Men are in the MCU. It will be interesting to see how they explain that.

Yeah it looks ok. Maybe this is a trailer issue and not an issue with the actual film, but Deadpool is one of those characters/franchises that people think they know how to write jokes for ("huh huh it's be pretty fucking cool if Deadpool did <insert cringe 4th wall joke that includes fucking something and a different media>") but generally can't, and the other two films I think understood the character a bit better and still had those jokes but managed to keep it just about on the right side of funny. This one, I'm not so sure about yet.

Hm, I don't see a huge difference (yet), except maybe the trailers focusing a bit much on poking fun at Disney, but I think that's partly to reassure everyone that everything will stay as fucked up as they remember. Maybe.

Quick google search reveals it has the same team of writers on board than the previous ones, so I think one can approach this with cautious optimism.

It’s very sweary but looks like fun. I’m intrigued by the 20th Century Fox logo buried in the desert. 

Jackman looks amazing in the Wolverine costume as well. All those years and movies of making fun of the idea of him wearing it, and he’s never looked better than now 

X-Men '97 - Episode 7: Bright Eyes

Oook, we're back to episodes where a LOT happens very quickly. Lots of name drops, one notable cameo and big surprises unfold. Also good to know I was right with who I assumed the real big bad to be! 9/10

They don’t really do power levels. But there is the Omega Level Mutant rank which is reserved for Mutants who’s power is so great they could single handedly destroy civilisation/earth/more 

They've tried to classify Mutant powers over the years but there are too many distinctions and caveats. Forge, for example, was recently cited as an Omega Level Mutant. Because, in theory his powers to create anything could make a machine to end existence. But does that put him on par with Legion or Phoenix, who are also Omega Level? That's where it gets murky.

And we’re back to 10/10 show. X-Men 97 has the best writing in any Marvel studios thing maybe full stop. The eulogy at the beginning, the arguments about politics, the friendships between the characters. 

One of the things I love about this show is this team is a fucking team. They have complicated issues, but they are fucking in it together

Nightcrawler is amazing in this show

The fight scene in this episode is so good. Especially Jean getting all fucking Dragon Ball and shit. The makers of this show said they were looking for ways to use X-Men’s powers in new and exciting ways and they keep finding new, cool things.

Cyclops is so good. Cyclops has always been one of my favourite X-Men characters. I just like characters that are morally steadfast and straight good guys. Which Cyclops in the comics for the past 10 years has been done dirty or underplayed. So to see him be the actual centre and leader of this team is just so good. And I don’t care what anyone says. This is Cyclops best costume so he looks bad ass all the time. 

I just can’t fucking get enough. X-Men 97/10

Man I wish I could watch the same show you are because none of that has happens for me. In fact some of the script seems really childish if anything. But that only a small part of it. Barely any if that match’s my experience with it so far :( 

I'm somewhere in the middle on that in I get what nick is saying, what it is to me is they're packaging more heavy and adult themes in things which aren't and they lay it on pretty thick. There's an article I posted up above which kinda talks about how the arc of this series is trying to speak to a sense of post-9/11 alienation that the creators wanted to explore, particularly wrt race. I think though at times the mythologies of the characters and their powers can distract from the themes of the story they are telling.

You get the sense of it in this episode particularly, with characters talking about the need for a little less civility and maybe a little more radicalization even if it makes the oppressing classes unconformable. Which is where it gets more violent and dark. At the same time I can't get past the design of a character like 'Mr Sinister', an evil Dracula guy. Stuff like that pushes me out of it. Some of the characters are interesting (Magneto, Rogue, Cyclops, I like how Beast quotes random shit) but some others are like these bright primary colours saying what they're all about, like Captain America

I'd say it's a show punching above its weight class but sometimes it's still got those 90s kids cartoon characters delivering these subjects, and not always without it being jarring. I'd say it's mostly successful but a bit awkward at times

I think though it's a shame that the showrunner got fired and they couldn't put him in script writing duties for the X-Men movies they will be doing. That seems like such an own goal by Disney. Unless the guy got fired for a good reason, the internet rumour is that it was cause he had an onlyfans and the mouse didn't like that lol

Mr Sinister has always been like that. In my view, he is the most "80's" in aesthetic of any character presented regularly in the X-Men.

2d5e0a795a24d3f1e72a359cabed0d2d.jpg

^Victorian Era Scientist and pioneer of genetics. 

Nothing in his design speaks to that. Nor does his design match anyone else that was enhanced by Apocalypse either.

What's your actual history with TAS @mfnick?

The supervillains and the way they talk are childish, but the heroes are done really well. 

Like the show isn’t Shakespeare, but it is fun. Cyclops arguing over politics and the other person telling him about the optics. That kind of writing is pleasing to me.

Same for the whole card and gambler expressions for the eulogy 

There’s something about using a character’s motif as references in speech, particularly in superhero stuff because they’re so much about what they look like, that I find really fun. 

Also in terms of how it looks just generally, the framing they use for some of these character poses or action is so enjoyable. I can’t screen grab it because D+ is a dick but some of those frames showing Cyclops face and positioning when him and Jean are digging through the debris. Perfect  

EDIT: Also going back to what I was saying about the team. This show kills the X-Men movies for team dynamic. Which probably is easy because the films were really centred around 3 people. But when the team comes together in this show they look fucking cool

I hope the final episode has them all come together for some crazy action thing. Storm's comeback is going to be big, I just know it

EDIT2: I'm sure @OCH will appreciate this, but a big time Avenger popping up explaining why they can't get involved, help and are being useless is classic 90's Marvel lol