passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

X-Men '97 - Episode 4: Motendo/Lifedeath Pt.1

Best episode so far. As the title would suggest, we have two stories here. One, featuring Jubilee on her 18th Birthday (I can't remember if that tracks with her age presented in the original series🤔) and Sunspot is there too ..Still not really doing anything. But it is a fun spotlight for her.

Lifedeath is a title that would only mean anything if you know the source material. If you don't, minus spoilers, it's a story of Storm and Forge. Adapted better than the Goblin Queen story in the last episode. The animation also seems improved here too. This is the first time that I've gotten the old TAS vibe from '97. Especially with the latter story. 8/10

Yeah, but no one wants to see Nova, and apparently they're working on an actual Nova Corp thing 

Apparently female Silver Surfer is based on Earth X Silver Surfer, but I've never read Earth X so dunno. 

This is also creating more theories this FF is from the multiverse which, I'd rather they not be. Make them the 'real' FF for the MCU 

Personally, I'd prefer Ultimate Silver Surfer(s)...

Spoiler

ultimate-silver-surfer-bites-mahr-vell.j

But I guess they don't want SS to look too alien (as creatures from space should, but hey ho). But these decisions are literally just made as clickbait, these days.

I recently re-watched the good X-Men movies (1, 2 and Logan) while having that criticism in the back of my mind and I still don't get it. A short, blocky, hairy, unlikeable dude would absolutely not have worked in a mainstream superhero movie. It's a different medium and they did the best possible adaptation they could at that point in time IMO.

But speaking of, while watching Logan for the second time, it kind of bothered me how often Prof X uses the f-bomb. But I never read the comic it's based on so maybe that's accurate.

4 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

But speaking of, while watching Logan for the second time, it kind of bothered me how often Prof X uses the f-bomb. 

Yes, I hated this. I don't really like Logan that much anyway, but this also annoyed me. Not just Prof X, but just seeing Patrick Stewart say 'fuck' a lot is weird and not good. 

Oh, I just saw there's a new FF thing, too

9PDw8goaTRi4hYgLhVaBtb-1200-80.jpg.webp

Dude, the fucking Human Torch might be on screen with Spider-Man at the same time. The MCU doesn't have a lot left to give me in terms of things I thought I'd never see but Human Torch and Spider-Man on screen at the same time. 

Marvel has been up and down ever since Covid but I'm really excited for this film. I so hope someone finally makes a great FF movie. 

I can’t believe how good X-Men ‘97 is. I’m struggling to find a way to speak about how good it is without sounding like I’m underselling the MCU (they made some of my favourite films ever) or speaking in hyperbole about the show (I’m not die hard X-Men tas fan by any means) But it’s the smartest, most creative, most clever thing Marvel Studios has done ever. Where did this show come from? For all the problems of their D+ content mandates Wandavision and now this has snuck through and actually been brilliant. This is definitely better than Wandavision as well. 

For all the critics of the MCU that it’s a factory, soulless and has no artistic voice or whatever. X-Men ‘97. This is all love and passion from every aspect of it. You can feel it in every frame.

The only negative I would give it is the pacing. Some of these plots feel like they’re on 2x speed. But you at least can’t knock it for being slow lol.

It’s only 4 episodes in but this show is 9/10. It’s so good. They even did a ‘people trapped inside a video game’ episode and it was actually good! I don’t think that’s ever been done before. 

Man, oh, man. I feel sorry for anything X-Men live action because it has to be the follow up to this. 

Damn, man, I just can’t believe it. I wasn’t anticipating this show at all. Not only am I not a big original X-Men tas fan, but also the state of Marvel’s animation so far has been so bad. Then bam. They even made Jubilee bad ass. There’s no way the comics don’t start stealing her uses of powers from the show. 

This isn't me taking the piss or anything, what you say sounds pretty convincing and I've heard similar things elsewhere, that it's a rejoinder to everyone saying that these movies and series are cynical objects without craft, that this is anything but that. Apparently one of the animators or writers or whatever is a huge MVC fan and puts references to it in the show, which I think sounds pretty cool anyway

But what I also think is there can be a hype backlash with stuff like this, cause I bought into the hype with Loki season 2 and gave it a shot and it was one of the worst things I watched. I'm not saying X-Men is probably like that, but when Disney overwhelm viewers with a lot of bad stuff and make them lose interest, it can actually really hurt exposure for things where they get it really right.

Stuff like this needs room to breathe, I wonder if WOM can help it have legs

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

But what I also think is there can be a hype backlash with stuff like this, cause I bought into the hype with Loki season 2 and gave it a shot and it was one of the worst things I watched. I'm not saying X-Men is probably like that, but when Disney overwhelm viewers with a lot of bad stuff and make them lose interest, it can actually really hurt exposure for things where they get it really right.

I wasn’t aware Loki S2 reviewed well or had hype. But I also think it was crap if that means anything. I only watched it because I wanted to see if Kang did something that would be relevant later. 

I also think D+ Marvel has hurt Marvel overall. I don’t think the films are much better or worse than they were before Endgame, but in terms of hype backlash, the constant wave of Marvel shit on D+ has ripped the blinkers of people and I think made people see what the majority of MCU films always were.

D+ glut and no overall sense of direction has killed the interest. 

But for what it’s worth I think X-Men ‘97 is amazing. It’s completely detached from the MCU which probably also helps. 

There is some crossover with MvC in the fanbase as well, which is kind of cool. I've seen a lot of old McV2 veterans praising the show, because that game (together with Children of the Atom) brought a lot of people into the X-Men-verse back in the day.

I'll definitely check it out whenever this Free TV schedule has pumped out all the episodes, for me it's probably the most interesting thing they've done since ... Infinity War?

Again I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to undersell the MCU to lift up X-Men ‘97. I think Marvel has made really good films post IW/EG. But X-Men is the best thing they’ve done, definitely. 

And a lot of it falls on the shoulders of Magneto. He’s so good in this series (despite the terrible costume)

I can’t believe this is real but RDJ says he would return to the MCU. 

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a60314472/robert-downey-jr-interview-2024/

How about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Would he ever return to it, as an Academy Award winner? “Happily. It’s too integral a part of my DNA. That role chose me. And look, I always say, Never, ever bet against Kevin Feige. It is a losing bet. He’s the house. He will always win.”

Who knows if he will or not. See how desperate Marvel gets. But after other interviews and things he’s said in the past few years, I would have said absolutely no way he comes back for anything other than a huge pay day. For RDJ to say “Happily”. Never would have believed it 

If that happens I’m fully out. Fuck that. I can’t explain how disappointed I’ll be if it happens. All the MCU can go in the bin at that point. 

It amazes me that comic book movies fell in to the exact same traps and solutions as the comics themselves. Never kill off your heroes! It doesn’t matter how big of a moment you think it will be, you lose so much story potential for one moment and some aftermath

If they’re not going to commit to anything permanent, it makes people feel like nothing matters 

Yes, for the exact same reasons. Retire characters here and there for breaks, and get the audience used to recasts like James Bond or something, but killing characters off is a waste. They’re the building blocks of comic book stories 

They aren't comic book stories when they are films though, sometimes you need the finality otherwise it doesn't have impact. The Iron Man death scene is great and a perfect sendoff to that whole thing. Sometimes the point shouldn't be that they need ways to continue indefinitely, stories should end. Heroes should die sometimes, in this medium specifically. They can't just hedge their bets