passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Spider-Man: No way to get a BAFTA as Marvel film blocked from nominations

Spider-Man: No Way Home has been blocked from getting any BAFTA nominations after producers refused to allow the film to be placed on a streaming site used by judges.

Despite the impact of COVID, the film has swung its way into the top 10 highest grossing films of all time after fans flocked to cinemas to see Tom Holland's latest outing as the Marvel hero.

No Way Home had the third-biggest opening weekend of any film ever when it hit cinemas globally last month, with only Avengers films Infinity War and Endgame beating it - both of which also star Tom Holland as Spider-Man.

The film was also liked by critics, but it may struggle when it comes to award season, with BAFTA blocking it from being nominated for any trophies.

The awards are influential in the industry, often acting as a pre-cursor to the Oscars just two weeks later in predicting the winning films.

BAFTA has told its thousands of voting members that the film has failed to meet the eligibility criteria - namely that it has to be uploaded to the academy's private streaming site before the first round of voting closes.

Sony's refusal to allow the film to be uploaded to BAFTA's platform was reportedly due to piracy issues.

BAFTA told Sky News in a statement: "Spider-Man: No Way Home did not meet the eligibility criteria for the EE British Academy Film Awards 2022 and therefore did not qualify for entry.

"As outlined in our rulebook, all films must be made available to voting members on BAFTA View prior to Round One voting closing to ensure fairness and parity for all titles and the film was not made available by the distributor."

Sky News has approached Sony, the film's production company, for comment.

Spoiler

Yeah. That didn't really do much for me. Also thought it was hugely convenient that her boyfriend ends up being someone. I hope they retcon that somehow and find a way to justify it more 

EDIT: Also what's funny about Eternals is they make a few different Superman and Batman references so in the MCU the DC characters are made up superheroes lol 

EDIT2: Fixed 

3 hours ago, Maf said:

Yeah. That didn't really do much for me. Also thought it was hugely convenient that her boyfriend ends up being someone. I hope they retcon that somehow and find a way to justify it more 

EDIT: Also what's funny about Eternals is they make a few different Superman and Batman references so in the MCU the DC characters are made up superheroes lol 

You might want to spoiler part of that, but 

Spoiler

did you hear the voice in the second post credits scene? 

Spoiler

Yeah, it's supposed to be Blade, right? What Blade and the Black Knight have to do with the Eternals I don't know. That's why I didn't think the last post was worth the spoiler it contributes to the film 0%. 

My guess is because Markarri was a thief and possesses a lot of historical and legendary artefacts, including Excalibur which Thena picks up and says she knows the sword and King Arthur. My guess is maybe Makarri stole something from the Black Knight family or something and maybe that's why he was drawn to the Eternals? So when he opens up the sword at the end, maybe they have something that relates to it. 

I dunno. Clutching at straws but I thought it was one of the most shoe horned cameos/introductions of a Marvel character yet. 

I hate to say it but I was surprised how entertaining Eros and Pip were with just their minute or two on camera. In the comics those characters suck but they were really fun in the film 

Worse than Antman @Jimbo Xiii !? Dude no way

It can be a bit slow at times, especially a section in the forest where it goes on a bit, but I thought it was great. Although admittedly some of that might be what it does for their universe as well. Big shit. I like it. 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Worse than Antman @Jimbo Xiii !? Dude no way

It can be a bit slow at times, especially a section in the forest where it goes on a bit, but I thought it was great. Although admittedly some of that might be what it does for their universe as well. Big shit. I like it. 

I guess so? I enjoyed Ant Man 1 & 2 each time I watched them, I didn't enjoy Eternals.

To me, the terrible "humour" brings GotG 2 right down. Age of Ultron was just dull, in comparison. 

The thing with Eternals is they aren't a superhero team. It's high concept Jack Kirby stuff. It is nothing like Avengers, Spider-Man or the X-Men. Whereas he basically did the same thing in DC with the New Gods. They are a bit more relatable IE Darkseid being the "God of Evil" is easier to grasp as 'antagonist'. As opposed to archetypes used as allegories to themes of evolution. The Celestials, Deviants and Eternals. None of them are "good" or "evil". Because that isn't what their story is about.

Truth be told, it is also why their source material typically doesn't sell well. Why they aren't involved in crossover stories etc, etc It is not a story for everyone. Which is what surprised me the most that they even bothered to give them a film in the first place.

Since the talk is on Eternals

Spoiler

Agreed. This movie has incredible visuals with both effects and art. Also the Earth in MCU is just stuck like that now lol. I wonder how they treat and deal with that. Maybe it’s what attracts Galactus..

Also good on Marvel for just being like, yeah you can’t fight Celestials. It’s not a thing Hulk can punch or Dr Strange can magic away. From what we’ve seen they didn’t nerf them like the Infinity Gauntlet or the Cosmic Cube. They are in essence the rulers of the universe and you just have to deal with that. 

Except I suppose for Kang. Maybe the Celestials don’t care and are just doing what they do. Maybe they’re alien logic is we could deal with Kang if we want too but we really not bothered we just focus on the drive to experiment. Maybe they start to get pissed off when more Kangs show up. I’m still convinced one Kang will have possessed control of all the Celestials in his universe and will invade. Or maybe the Celestials from another universe obliterated him, took his technology and will invade on their own? Something along these lines I reckon.

But then WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN CELESTIALS INVADE? Find a bed and hide under it. Doesn’t matter what country you’re captain of you’re fucked 

EDIT: Age of Ultron is better the further in to it you get. It has so much heavily lifting, reconciling and seed planting to do in the first half it struggles. But the more weight it sheds, the more simple it becomes, the more chance the Avengers get to run around and kick ass the more fun it gets

22 minutes ago, Maf said:

Also good on Marvel for just being like, yeah you can’t fight Celestials. It’s not a thing Hulk can punch or Dr Strange can magic away. From what we’ve seen they didn’t nerf them like the Infinity Gauntlet or the Cosmic Cube. They are in essence the rulers of the universe and you just have to deal with that. 

That is also one of the glaring continuity gaffs GotG 2 did wrong. In labelling Ego as a Celestial (when he isn't). I saw numerous comments online, of people viewing the Eternals trailer. Saying why would they[the Eternals] be scared of a Celestial, when Peter Quill beat one? Who knows what those people will think when Galactus turns up. Given he isn't one either...