passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

the demo is live. I've played a bit, done the first mission. There was a point that was oddly hard, I was playing alone so it's likely the first point where you really need a team, but once I started flying to escape i stopped dying constantly. I also think those heated battles could probably do with incoming damage being clearer, there's red directional markers, but I feel like the FOV gets tighter when it should really get wider so you can see more of the enemies, but also more of the environment to potentially escape to

I'm not sure I like that you can't alter your gear mid-mission. I suspect that's more of an issue in the early stages when a new gun is going to make a huge difference. There's a decent amount of gear to equip, you can have 2 guns (eventually), different grenades, special, then a coupe of mods, with more opening up as you progress, which I think should help keep the game more interesting as you have a more tangible change every few levels

I'm playing on Ultra, or was, it seemed pointless so I knocked it down. This doesn't look anything like as good as the reveal, at least in the demo, and in the two areas I've seen. It may be that the ridiculously lush vegetation from the reveal exists, just not in this early zone. It's not a bad looking game though by any means, I saw some people criticising the character models, maybe it's a bit of irony based on Andromeda, but they look fine to me, not the best ever but easily good enough

I will say this, the control system initially doesn't really make any sense. Swapping weapons on a held reload button press is odd, made worse by the fact that the demo doesn't start you out with two weapons equipped.

I was in the same camp @Sambob is in. I wasn't all that bothered about it, but the more I played the more I liked it. I'm going to play some tonight depending on who is on to test those other mechs, if only to see which one I'll get first when the game eventually releases.

It's all about the combos apparently. You've got to prime an enemy then you or a team mate detonates it for lots of damage. There's a symbol on weapons which denotes whether they're of this type. Status types, particularly freeze are generally primes.

Sly I'll be on this evening. What time you starting?

Going to give it a rest until tomorrow. Its the equivalent of a popcorn movie, its enjoyable to play but im not in the least bit invested. I've just unlocked collosus which is fun to play and I'm sure it's different from the ranger but doesn't feel at all different so far. The buttons are different but I don't know what they are. Its not a great demo in terms of explaining what's going on. 

Its not a comparison but I much prefer Destiny so far. 

the PS4 version is awful. It seemed to run worse in a public match than in private. The landscape started warping around me as it loaded in about 10 metres in front of me, it looks rough as anything at points, but then the character models looks pretty good up close. It's very blurry in the town on the Pro at 4k, and I think I could see the checkerboarding on some of the textures

Played some more, I'm revising my "the PS4 version is awful" comment. When I first got in to a mission on PS4 it was a public one, joining one in progress, and the framerate was awful. I backed out of there, played private and it ran better, although that was where I saw the texture issues. I then played in a party with Spatular and it ran, not great, but more like the private match. We did notice that spinning the camera when you were around foliage caused loads of artifacting around your mech, which I think is the checkerboarding trying to rebuild but not being able to distinguish

We ran in to difficulty on a couple of missions, but the one I'd struggled on in single player we sailed through in 4 player. 2 player seemed like a decent balance, that was probably the most I enjoyed it

I'm in agreement with @DANGERMAN, sometimes this game runs like a dog. I'm not really bothered about artefacting on shadows or whatever, but there's instances with stuff popping in and out at a distance that looks bad. It also likes to stutter like fuck for no apparent reason sometimes. The loading times are bad, although I think sometimes this isn't a loading issue, it's more akin to Destiny's ships flying in orbit while it looks for you a server to hit up. Stuff like enemies just fucking off from the map is bad as well. It feels bad when you spend ages looking for a fight and they T pose out of there.

I think they need to populate the freeroam more, it's so barren. If someone hits a freeroam mission by the time you find your way there it's done and you miss the rewards. This is an easy fix, as soon as the mission kicks off just put the purple badge marker on the HUD and let people reinforce. This is one of the really bad points of this game, the game doesn't reward you for sticking together until a mission presents itself and then everyone has to congregate on it, but you can't do that because the map markers are dogshit.

I needs work. No doubt about it. The core stuff is still really fun, but persistent players are still going to get pissed off at those hurdles they've run through rather than jumped over.

I tried all the different mechs tonight. Thought I'd love the Storm and hate the Pro Genji. Turns out it was the other way around. The Storm is really the only one I don't like out of the ones in the game. I had another go in the Ranger after everyone went and like that as well. It looks like I'll be playing anything but the Storm when the game comes out. I think my crew will be OK with that.

Also the whole way you acquire coins has been cleared up with a Bioware post on Reddit.

Spoiler

TL;DR - Play with lots of friends and have lots of people playing on your friends list and each week the coins you will receive will be bigger. If you're the only person playing enjoy grinding the every loving fuck out of the game to unlock something on the top tier.