passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

I’ve only just got around to watching the new gameplay video, I actually think it looks pretty damn good. Sure it’s a bit generic looking but for me the Marvel licence will help elevate it above other by the numbers action games. 

Looks fun to me. The voice actors sound bored tho and it looks easy. But I guess that’s because they’re just wanting to show gameplay without a struggling super hero. 

Just looks like a fun place to be a hero and smash stuff up :unsure: Not sure what disappointed people were expecting?

I only scrubbed through the video yesterday and caught a bit of gameplay from each character, so maybe I missed something but the problem was the literal straight forward, corridor likeness of it. Each level or part of the level looks like a straight line with 2 walls on either side and enemies in front and you just go forward. 

Hulk wall jumps, which was kind of the coolest part, but even then it looked very automatic and in a straight line.

Granted, they’re fighting on a bridge. I’m no bridge expert but every bridge I’ve ever seen goes in a straight line so what can you do. 

And it’s also the tutorial like someone said so maybe those things go hand in hand

But as promotion material it, maybe don’t show the tamest part, I guess.

Yeah, what they showed wasn't really a game. It was a very 2011-esque linear hallway rollercoaster

I actually think the different play styles of Thor and Iron Man look pretty alright.  Just sorely lacking in polish, complete lack of animation and hit feedback right now.

I still dont really know what this game is though and I wasnt entirely joking with my "who is the healer" post because they haven't explained online stuff very well yet. I'd be up for raiding with Tony Stark if I knew what that would look like.

• 1 month later...

I think it was announced that Ms Marvel is a playable character in the game now. But then I also saw a headline that said this game is like Destiny? So I don’t know if this is good news because ultimately I don’t know what this means 

It means it'll be persistent like an MMO.  It'll have RPG mechanics to build characters abilities and be able to customise properties of their attacks and defense in a gradual manner. 

Since it'll have scenarios that will have to be repeated it is gonna have to have robust RPG mechanics so not to feel stale as well as some interesting combat and level design that can be repurposed with perhaps different kinds of enemies that require a different approach to mix things up. 

Ultimately its going to come down to that kind of stuff and I'd like to see it outside of the tutorial.  I think showing that with a game like this was a waste of time. 

But they have to have a good and robust game out of the gate or we'll have another Anthem. 

Yeah, I honestly just can’t envision what this game is supposed to be like. I’ve still only seen the gameplay that takes place on the bridge and just can’t fathom how this would be repeatable. Likewise I can’t imagine those mechanics or styles of play used in the bridge sequence being repeatable in anyway outside of “Let’s just play that level again”. Contextually how do you justify repeating the exact same scenarios? 

It makes me think that bridge gameplay is not actually core gameplay gameplay and not what you will be doing most of the time. And if it isn’t that why bother? 

Why is an Avengers game a persistent MMO like to begin with? Who had that idea? Why isn’t it just a massive single player game where some parts are like God of War (Thor) and some parts are like Lylat Wars (Iron Man), etc. 

I just don’t understand what this game is supposed to be, and even with people explaining it I’m not convinced that could ever work

It's hard to explain what the pace is like to someone who hasn't gone long term into a game like this.  It'll also come down to content.  I have played these kinds of games that are happy to grind the same thing until they get the reward they want but I prefer to spend my session spreading around and doing different things.  Warframe is good for this but it's 7 years old at this point without them making older content worthless so there is plenty to do.  A new game and asking for an upfront payment has to have enough at the start and is competing with a lot of games like this; Destiny 2, FFXIV, Division 2 and even Monster Hunter and Warframe (at least that what it's competing with for me) as well as others. 

I also think it's like this because of money.  I think Disney/Marvel want bang for thier buck and if a game like this takes off then it's money in the bank.  If it doesn't we're back to mobile games.  I don't think the traditional AAA market is financially interesting enough to them now.