passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XV

Sambob

11 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

It would be nice if someone changed the 15 in the title to Roman numerals. If Final Fantasy is famous for anything it’s having Roman numerals on the box.

Agreed.

Ive watched the Brotherhood web series after being recommended that too. It was ok actually. Helped fill in some backstory on how the 4 actually got together and why they’re friends. Like that as it does just chuck you in the middle of them in the game with no idea who any of them actually are or why they’re there. Pretty basic stories but it definitely helped. 

Haven’t decided what I’ll do about the film as yet. Does look like I won’t enjoy it and have to pay for the privilege. 

I’m 13 hours in now. It’s weird, I dont like  anything about it but I continue to play. It helps I am getting slightly invested in the characters as shallow, generic and camp they are as usual. That web series definitely helped in this respect, although having you watch stuff out of the game is still BS. 

The combat is still poor and a absolute mess but I have got to the point where I’m ok with dealing with it. Camera is shit. Especially against the huge stuff. Dungeons are boring caves 90% of the time but the last one I played where you’re under water but not was a bit more interesting. The character controls feel more suited to the open world though so when you’re in tight corridors the inertia and animations really get in the way of getting around.

The open World still feels absolutely pointless. It is the most empty and boring one I’ve ever been in and just filled with the worst MMO type quests ever. Go to the circle and fight 5 enemies, or go to this circle and disable 5 traps. Go to the other end of the map to deliver this package then return from the other side of the map. It’s fucking shit. I wish I could have ignored it but i was severely underlevelled for the main story if I did. It does seem to have got better about that from chapter 4 onwards though. The story missions since then to chapter 7/8 where I am now have been the same level I’ve been at so I’ve not had to do any for a while which is good (& I’m usually the type of player who wants to do them all). But then the main story missions have involved needless travelling around with no car only a Chocobo which takes forever. Never thought I’d be happy to have that stupid car back. 

Speaking of which, getting around is so boring because of the open world but also because it’s 95% automatic. I’ve even taken to having GB or Youtube open on my iPad and when I’ve got to travel somewhere just selecting the route and putting a video on to watch while it gets there. The fuck?! Really, it’s come to this, I’m watching a video while the game wastes my time. Ridiculous!

But I can’t stop playing now. There’s something about it where it’s got it hooks in me now but I can’t really explain it.

I will say I’ve had a summon and it looked absolutely incredible. It’s a shame they’re slightly random and condition based. It would be nice to have access to them some other way and be able to choose them. I’ve got 2 so far but seen the same one twice now which is a shame. 

I also absolutely love Ignis and how he says “That’s it! I’ve come up with a new recipe”. It’s so good. He says it sometimes at the most inappropriate times and the delivery is fantastic. I do like the characters as stupid as they are. It’s even made me chuckle a couple of times too so there is that. 

On 23/04/2020 at 18:06, bellow said:

It's terribly boring, tho. I'd just read a synopsis somewhere.

Indeed. It is worse than Advent Children (which at least had some pretty choreographed set pieces) or Spirits Within. They all look very nice though, but I don't know why Square struggle so much to translate FF to the screen?

I thought the first half was fine but the first half was basically a movie of the Versus XIII trailers. That's one of many disappointments of this, that Versus XIII (which they told us became FFXV) actually became a movie instead.

But we might still get that game as Kingdom Hearts spin off or something? Who even knows.

Fun fact, Jessie Pinkman is in Kingsglaive and Badger is in Remake. You probably knew that but I find it fun anyway. 

From this point forward, can we please use the following thread for all general FF chat, so each game thread doesn't descend in to wider chat about the Final Fantasy games. 

From this point forward, off game discussion about wider Final Fantasy games will be deleted.

Reached this and slightly further. I’ve got to say the pacing and general quality has improved massively. It’s been a hell of a lot more interesting and enjoyable to play after reaching Altissia. Not had any shit open world guff since, it’s just been exciting set pieces, great scenery and slightly more interesting story points. That boss was a bit daft and I didn’t actually have to do much but it was still fun and as a visual set piece very impressive which carried it for me to be honest. Seeing all my swords flying about and causing big explosions all over was really satisfying. 

I also played the Galadiolus DLC when I reached that part. It was only a hour and just combat rooms but it looked good, far more impressive than it he main game dungeons and I liked the enemy design. But what impressed me most here was the combat surprisingly! I liked the rage system but mainly it was how it only has you fight 1 - 3 enemies at a time (unless it’s fodder) and it moved at a much better pace. It was slower and emphasised actual button timing parries to increase your damage and get better hits in. I found this a lot better. I wish it carried to the main game, I understand I can select him in the Royal Edition but the problem is in the main story the fights are far more chaotic and have too many enemies about to make it a viable option. 

Yeah that boss felt like a QTE. Set to the Morrowind soundtrack for some strange reason.

Well anyway, for all its faults I thought the game had a good ending and a mostly good final boss. Although I hear the Royal Edition added a load of shite to it to make it more 'epic'? Like lots of new filler and things.

I don't know, I just heard a mixed reception to new stuff. It might have been regemond actually who said it

I really loved the totally over-the-top epic Altissia boss. Mechanically it was pretty shit but the spectacle was a sight to behold. After thirty hours of basically just running around it was like turning it up to 11 in the blink of an eye.

30 hours? I think I got there in about 13 ?. I hated the open world bit that much, soon as I was the right level I moved into the next mission. May have bit me in the arse a bit now though, some of these later bosses are taking ages to kill and beating me in like 1 hit. I’m managing though, would rather have struggle a bit now than waste hours in the open world.

Ive just reached chapter 14. My God that Zegnautus Keep bit was terrible. Literal corridors that all look the exact same for about a hour or so. I prefer linearity but this was bad even for me. Glad when it was over. 

Spoiler

The ruined world is interesting to see. Funny just driving through slowly with all the daemons about, made no sense when there’s a big flaming sword guy in middle of the road and you’re going at a snails pace just having a conversation ?. I like the concept of it all though and the idea 10 years has passed is pretty cool. Just stick up some more lights!!