passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Order 1886

DisturbedSwan

Anyone else played this?

I finished it about a week ago, here's my review:

Another game that has seemingly been panned by the critics, and another I was apprehensive about picking up and playing as a result, but if you like cinematic story-driven games such as those found in the Uncharted series or The Last of Us I think you'll like The Order 1886 and enjoy it immensely.

Let's start off with the games strongest part, the Graphics, they are absolutely sublime in every respect. Everything reflects off surfaces beautifully, there's shadows, light beams through windows of all shapes and sizes, puddles react realistically when trodden in, everything glistens in the rain, fog billows out of chimneys and in the air with a natural fluidity to it that hasn't been experienced before, The Order 1886 is the best looking console game of all time, full stop, it is just absolutely incredible and blows every game that had gone before out of the water, there are hardly any bugs in the game, the frame-rate is a solid 30fps throughout and the only technical blemish is the fact that mirrors don't reflect your characters reflection in game, that is it throughout the entire 9 and a half hours I spent with the game. Ready At Dawn have successfully melded cinematics into game-play, cut-scenes end and you're put right into the action, not realising at first that you're actually in control, the graphical fidelity is that strong that it borders on photo-realism at times it really is a sight to behold.

The way Ready at Dawn have constructed the game means that cut-scenes, cut-scenes with QTEs, cover-shooting sections, boss sections, Lycan sections and exploration sections are all melded together into one all encompassing cinematic vision or experience, nothing feels out of place from the simple menu to the toned down HUD, everything in the game compliments one another and keeps this cinematic experience fluid and interlaced together for the player to enjoy, always immersing the player and never pulling their concentration out of the game.

The story is integral to RAD's alternative version of Britain in the 19th Century and it doesn't disappoint, the start of the game is very clever in starting you off 3/4 of way through the game and then going back in time for you to piece together how Galahad got himself in that particular situation in the first place, it is very cleverly done and when it all comes together and you see what happens to Galahad after the Prologue the story really delights and includes a few twists and turns I wasn't expecting at all, I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout and cannot wait to see where RAD take the franchise in the future. The characters themselves are all very well realised, although a little more back-story to each wouldn't of gone amiss, the character development of Galahad over the course of the game is fantastically well realised by RAD, the other Knights of The Order have their own distinct personalities, backgrounds and motivations that you discover throughout.

Another mention has to go to the game's soundtrack which compliments the game perfectly, ramping up the excitement when needed and giving a beautiful melancholic score that blends perfectly with TO1886's story and London location, as well as its graphical style, it is nothing less than sublime as well.

The only negative points I had with the game were the Cover shooting sections and the Lycan shooting sections. I didn't mind the cover-shooting sections that much but it just felt very serviceable to me, like they'd just taken the cover shooting mechanic out of Uncharted and put it into TO1886 without any really modifications or differences, the only thing that brightens up the cover-shooting sections at times is some of the weapons available. A lot of them are your standard fair of Shotguns, Machine guns and Rifles but the Thermite Gun, Arc Cannon and Grenade Launcher all stand out from the rest and are an absolute ton of fun. The next negative point is the Lycan shooting sections, these appear periodically throughout the game and are essentially the same thing every time, something will happen in the story and you'll be left in a warehouse environment having to fend off some Lycans, there's no cover in these areas and you're left just with a X button prompt to avoid the Lycans attacks, before firing off your gun into them and eventually having to go and put them down, all the Lycan sections are exactly the same and don't innovate or do anything different from one to the other, they feel very crammed in, like RAD wanted to give you some enemy variety so decided to keep these sections in the game.

You'll notice I didn't put the game's length as a negative in the paragraph above, that's because it took me 9 and a half hours to finish the game, not the 5 and a half as widely reported in the media, 9 and a half hours is probably slightly longer than the average length than the average CoD Single Player Campaign so I think no one should be put off by the length of the game.

Overrall, The Order 1886, is a tremendously exciting, visually stunning portrayal of an alternative-history 19th Century London with a decent story, characters and impeccable visuals, for a fan of cinematic story-driven experiences I very much enjoyed my time with The Order 1886 and feel it has been harshly treated by the industry at large.

8/10

Also, picked up the Platinum Trophy in my time with the game :D:

VvkbDuE.jpg

I really do think it's a game everyone should try, even if you don't enjoy the game I think everyone who plays it will find the world RaD have created to be utterly infatuating, and difficult to resist and want to delve deeper into the world at large in a sequel.

I enjoyed it, although the ending wasn't great and it seemed to end just as things were really getting interesting. Looks gorgeous and the soundtrack and voice acting is very high end. It took me approx 8.5hrs to complete. Bought it for £35 and sold it for the same, so win win for me.

7/10.

• 4 weeks later...

so if whole chapters consist of cutscenes and slowly walking around listening to partner characters witter on things aren't going to be too rosy.

They do, some whole chapters just consist of a cutscene as well, if you don't like this I'm just going to say "I told you so" ;) at least its a game you should be able to finish, unlike Bloodborne though, eh? :P

Well, sounds like you liked it more than I thought you would, Nag, the Platinum is ridiculously easy to get I agree :lol: the only thing that could mess it up for people is if they miss some of the collectibles throughout the game as there's no way of knowing you've collected them or not (apart from the Phonographs) I got a bit lucky when I went back to get a few of the trophies after I'd finished the game as the last Document I needed was in the same room as the last Phonograph.

it did incredibly well for its first week or so, how it's done after that I'm not sure. That it's not £15 everywhere suggests it's probably still doing ok

I can't see Ready at Dawn getting closed, Sony need a new multi-title ip, The Order fits the bill. They've also spent a lot of money on it, using the engine, assets etc has got to be better than starting again. And I think if RaD were getting closed we'd have heard something about it by now, it might still happen, but I think it was set up for more than one game, so they'll just carry on

The cynic in me doubts it.Its only been out for,what a month or so? So there's plenty of time yet for the axe to fall on RAD's neck. We're in an age now where if a game fails to live up to the hype,more often than not that spells the end. And after all the time,money and effort put into this, a reaction of "well,its ok.Ish" is hardly going to get Sony frothing at the mouth for a sequel.

I could be totally wrong.We will see...

I didn't think RaD were owned by Sony, so they couldn't shut them down even if they tried, could they? Thought they had a 2nd-party agreement with SCEA on all the games they've made thus far, I may be wrong though.

According to VGChartz (I know :lol:) TO1886 has sold 500,000 units worldwide so far....wouldn't of thought that would be enough for a sequel but it's still just under 2 months since it released.

I agree with Nag, it didn't really deserve the grilling it got from the press in my opinion either.

• 6 months later...

Been inching away at this this week. I think I might have got more from it if I'd just lost a Saturday to it

Take last night for example, started playing it sometime after 9, played for an hour, and did the bit in the hospital Nag mentioned, which amounted to 1 enemy in a couple of fights and looking at some papers. If it's going to be this quiet it needs to be a longer game, you can't be short and empty

Just finished this, it's a much better game in the 2nd half and I ended up quite enjoying it. I never did quite nail down a technique for taking down the armoured guys though.

There's a decent number of locations, the story has its moments, and there's a few gameplay changes. I do still think it needs to be denser but it doesn't deserve its reputation even if it isn't a special game

• 2 years later...

Trying to find a single player that grabs me at the minute, and really struggling. I can't put myself through anymore dodgy Vita booby escapades right now, so I've given this a go to see if it holds my attention or not.

First impression - wow, this is gorgeous. Even now, the graphics hold up to some of the more impressive games of this gen. You can tell a lot of work has gone into how the cutscenes look, as well as the in game details.

The sound is great too. I've finally dipped my toe into multiplayer gaming so I've had my Wireless 2.0 headset downstairs, and there's a specific profile for this so I've loaded it on. The surround is really well done. I'm liking it a lot.

The gameplay isn't as bad as I expected yet either (but in fairness I've only played the first chapter) - if the sly dig, ahem, comparisons, Nag made to Gears of War ring true it makes me want to try that out at least.

Anyway, first level done and it's not the worst thing I've ever played, so I'm going to carry on at least.