passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dying Light

Sambob

Currently downloading the 8gb update on Steam, no idea when I'll get round to playing it though.

For anyone interested in the game and expansion, it may be cheaper to buy the base game + season pass than The Following Enhanced Edition package.

For PC this is true, you can get the base game for dirt cheap, and CDKeys are offering the seasons pass for less too.

Console however, not so much, base game and the season pass is weighing in at about £40...

current cheapest PS4 deal is linked in one of my posts above, it was cheaper on XBONE at gameseek, but I don't own an xbone, so I'm not so hot on the deals

Fair play, thought it'd be cheaper than that (especially 2nd hand) as its been out a year but I guess not, I keep forgetting The Following Expansion alone is £25 or something now isn't it?! That definitely whacks up the price, guess The Following EE is quite a good deal then, I've seen it for £33 New on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Played about 6 hours of The Following over the last week or so and am having fun with it, but not as much as the main game yet really.

The value for money is absolutely phenomenal, the map is absolutely bonkers, it's just ridiculously big, there's an insane amount of stuff to do and the story missions are plentiful but it's just lacking that uber fun element that the main game had in my opinion, it just lacks that certain je nais ce quoi really, it just feels like DL 1.5 rather than anything meaningful, special or different, but I guess that's to be expected considering it's technically DLC.

Huge props to Techland, the map is ridiculous and the whole game exceeds the value proposition of many 'full games' on the market by quite some margin, but it is just lacking that character and originality than the original DL had in my opinion. The side-missions are cool, the main-missions are cool, the new buggy-stuff is cool but it doesn't really add anything to the formula apart from an extra-large map, it makes it feel more like Far Cry than Dying Light really and that's good in a way but bad in others.

I guess what I mean is that the parkouring element that was so prevalent in the original is made a tad redundant here, I mean it's still there but considering you have to drive everywhere to get there in a decent amount of time it just seems pointless now, there's hardly any towns or city's to practice parkour in even if you wanted to, just miles and miles of countryside (for better or worse).

Despite all these problems, it's still a ton of fun, but perhaps not quite as much fun as the original and more generic too. I almost feel guilty paying only £12.80 for it too as the scope and size of this 'DLC' is absolutely ridiculous, and probably one of the best ever.

• 1 year later...

@Nag

Have 4 players play for so many missions together. I've tried so many times and not even got close to it. I think I have another trophy for rescuing people from Rais' men as well, but that will just happen.

I think there's a chance I could get all the ones involved in The Following as well. Might be a thing to do while I wait for MHW to drop.

Did you play past level cap and get into the legendary skills? Some of them are pretty mad. They turn stuff that's not particularly feasible into killer styles of play. For instance the bow was pretty terrible in the base game, but once you get up there and put some points into the bow perk you can fuck some people and zombies up no problems.

Much love for this game, the story might have been as filling as that crappy cereal dust you get in the last serving of cornflakes, but the gameplay itself is great. It's like making your own little games and rules in GTA, going out at night and leading a marathon of screaming maniacs across the whole map, running through the electrical traps and whatnot to weed out the ones not good enough to keep pace.

Played this morning with headphones on. Never again, it did me a demoralize.

The sound design is really well thought out, I took a breather in an alleyway while I tried to orientate myself and I could hear rubber soles scuffing against the floor just around the corner. I noticed that my breath was totally calm until I went out into the street to take a vault over the tall building and try and make a safer beeline to the safehouse. Of course it wasn't as easy as that, I was spotted and it was pitch black. I can hear the screams and gurgles behind me as I'm running across the tin roofs, the heads of zombies in front of me popping and making that noise that means that they're going to make your life a misery unless you can break line of site. I managed to dodge them but my character is still a nervous wreck, you can hear it in his breathing that he's distracted. I'm making a last dash for the UV protected safehouse, I can almost feel my clothes snag on the brickwork as I claw my way up away from the zombies chasing me. I can hear splats of goop as they try to snipe me from my ascension. I hit the ground and do a roll, the breath knocks out of me as I break my fall. Over the fence into safety I go, my breathing gets calm and I hear the searing and writhing of the monsters that were chasing me as they back away from the UV lamps.

It's pretty rad, you could probably play this game HUD-less. I remember a time when it was only DICE that could immerse through sound like this, now everyone seems capable. We've come so far with game audio over the last decade.

• 3 years later...

I know I'm quite often sniffy about the Switch, but I do find stuff like this fascinating. It's not how I'd want to play Dying Light, the mushy colours aren't going to help when you're out in the world, particularly handheld, but it's amazing what they've managed to do