passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Middle Earth : Shadow of Mordor

Hendo

Well so far, I'm doing rubbish.

I've died maybe 10 times so the captains keep getting stronger. I am upgrading my abilities slowly but so far it's more frustrating than fun.

My one true criticism so far is that the text is really tiny and when moves have come up I've had to guess whether the button is R1 or R2.

Yeah it's more Batman than AC but with AC's wall-running.

The Nemesis system seems to work, there's certainly one cunt who needs a good dick-slap to the face. He keeps killing me and doesn't ever speak, just grunts.

It's clicking now, my character is stronger and I've taken down a load of captains.

Some of them it's just a case of a swift arrow to the head if that's what they're vulnerable to but others are super hard and might need bringing towards the beast things or fire or just a good old fashioned sword fight till they're weak enough for you to grab and cut their head off.

Sucks a bit as I want to be back playing it but work today and then off out tonight. Have to be Sunday night now.

Played 3 hours pissing about with my brother and his mate. Both of them plan on buying this. I genuinely wasn't expecting a lot from this, but there's a good reason it's scoring highly in reviews. The combat is brutal and satisfying. There's plenty to do in the open world, bit not tons thrown at you at once, something I'm tired if in the Assassin's Creed series.

• 2 weeks later...

I unlocked that last night, too. In the second area now and it's way more visually appealing than the first part. The game keeps getting better.

I had a bit of an ordeal defeating the fourth Warchief last night. Others just kept turning up, I think I had a total of six captains and the Warchief to deal with. Thankfully a couple of them reyreated, but it was close a few times there. I had to keep running around looking for health restores.

I love how things happen like this, you just can't predict the scenarios. Something always goes tits up. 'Have I picked a bad time, ranger?'. Yes, you bloody well have.

• 2 months later...

I think I'm about 8 hours in. I'm not loving it but it's simple fun. I could do with it being a bit more restrictive, I've killed a lot of captains but barely done any of the main story missions.

One thing I did like was after doing a story mission it opened up vengeance quests, where I got to avenge Cyberpunk, that's a pretty cool touch

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this over the weekend, apparently I spent 30 hours with it. I enjoyed it more as I got further in, but it does have a pacing problem and it is kind of the same 4 things ad nauseum.

Not that it's a bad thing really, what's there is fun and it's hard to criticise the game because I got caught up doing too much side stuff early on. There are too many systems in there though. You've got the runes, xp, power points, and a kind of currency system to spend increasing your health, magic and ammo totals. The only way to unlock the latter is through side quests I couldn't be fucked with by the end

Good game though

• 9 months later...

I picked this up for £9 with all the DLC a few weeks ago. I booted it up and it runs really well on my aging PC - getting around 60fps at 1080p with most settings on high.

It seems pretty good, going on about an hour and a half of messing about. I've done a couple of missions, killed a couple of captains (well one of them was stomped by a monster that was chasing me, but I'm still claiming it), and found out Gollum's in the game for some reason.

There's a lot of stuff to get my head around at the start, there's a bewildering number of things I can upgrade, and a hell of a lot of icons on the map. I keep getting messages about challenges with a message to press the back button, but that just brings me to the map.

The camera is a lot closer to the main character than I'd like, the field of view is really small. I'll be looking for a way to get rid of all the intro/logo videos before my next session.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Tolkien. I've never read any of his books and I haven't finished the LOTR trilogy of films (always get bored during the second one), but this game really got its hooks into me. Not for the source material, as you can probably guess, but for the gameplay. Between the Assassin's Creed style towers, the Batman combat and the random side missions, it's some of the most brainless fun I've had this gen.

I'd love a sequel!

• 3 months later...

I've gone back to this over the weekend, I bought (rebought?) the dlc and started the Hunt dlc. I fell in to the same trap as with the main game. It basically plays out the same as the main game without the same number of missions, and maybe this wouldn't have been a problem if I'd gone to it straight after finishing the game, but rather than do the quests I just killed orc generals for hours 

I made myself stay focused and finished it. I'm not entirely sure how I beat the last guy as I was off eating mushrooms for health, but I'll take it. I enjoyed it all in all too. I might stick with it and finish the other dlc tonight, but I do sort of feel like this has scratched the itch I had and I should get back to something I've just spent full price money on 

• 1 month later...

The 3rd game on my 'trial' list.

Played the first 2 hours or so.

Quite enjoyed it, I wouldn't say I was blown away by any means but yeah it's pretty fun. 

It really does feel like a mis-mash between Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham, it's uncanny how the combat is ripped straight out of that series, skulking in bushes/taking orcs down from above feels so like AC as well.

The environs look kind of bland, that's probably my only real criticism other than it not being very original and slightly generic, but yeah it's pretty fun, I've already found myself unlocking towers and picking up collectibles AC style, so I feel like I could be at home here, the Nemesis system has already impressed me a lot too.