passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

spatular

Destiny!?!?!?! :D

So After the first single player mission, which was alright, some very nice views, then it takes you to the mass effect citadel thing where you can buy stuff. Such a bewildering array of stuff, like playing dota, or borderlands, it's hard to tell what the hell is going on and what all the stuff is for, what do all the stats and numbers mean? I don't really like stuff like that, but if I play this as much as previous halo games I'll probably at least eventually understand some of it.

Then did some multiplayer for probably a few hours, had to sign up to psn+ first as I'd let my subscription run out. The hover bike things are really cool.

There's 2 maps, one quite small and another bigger one with vehicles. You can't use your hover bike on the smaller one :( don't seem to be able to board vehicles :( the aiming is like cod, hold left trigger to look down the sights, which is strange for halo, although I guess it's not halo so... There's lots of differences really. It still takes some time to kill someone, so that's good.

Grenades are weird, it's like an ability that recharges over time, which is fine until you respawn and still have to wait for your grenade to charge, which seems odd.

You can permanently have a good weapon like a sniper or shotgun, supposedly limited ammo, but if you know what your looking for it's pretty abundant - green ammo boxes. I don't think I've unlocked power weapons yet- these are similar as you have them but with no ammo, then there's an ammo drop occasionally or something.

The starting gun is a assault rifle type thing but I bought something that worked more like a dmr or battle rifle ASAP. It's wired using the scope in close range gun fights in this, but probably just because I'm not used to it.

The only game mode is 3 plots territories style thing.

There's different class people, mine had a sort of odd double jump where the first jump is normal and the second is a sort of jet pack/ hover which seems like it would leave you open to be easily sniped while hanging around in mid air. They also have special power things that recharge I don't know how, mine was a ground pound, just like playing Mario.

The player levels affecting multiplayer is a big area of concern for me, as is everything having different stats, I have faith bungie will sort it somehow I guess, but anyway I was level 5 for most of my time playing multiplayer and killed lots of level 8 people but it did seem like the odds were stacked in their favour, for example shot gunning then punching someone of the same level seemed to be enough for a kill, but players level 7/8 you seemed to have to get at least one more shotgun hit in. And in halo, all the weapons are the same so if someone kills you with a shotgun you know why you died, because they waited for the right time to shoot or whatever, but in this people fighting with shotguns may have completely different stats so you haven't a clue if it was because of a more powerful gun, or one with a better range or whatever, so it loses some of the tactics maybe, although too early to say for sure.

Anyway most importantly I guess it plays really well and I had a lot of fun, after some initial confusion, can't wait to get back on it tomorrow.

Sorry for all the rambling/random points, I'm really excited to play this. Thanks again to mr lakitu for the code!

Oh and I was just finishing for the night and joined Ed for a quick dance. There's a dance button, amazing! All games should have a dance button.

Also there's some impressions from Ed and Sly in the other thread so I'll try to bring thoes over below...

Thoughts.

+ It feels really nice to control.

+ The lighting looks stunning.

+ The light on front of the PS4 pad changes to reflect what's happening in game, for instance when you go into a dark area and the in game torch comes on, the light goes really bright on the pad. When your power comes online it glows orange and when you're close to death it goes red.

+ It's the typical Bungie AI we know and love. By that I mean it reacts to how you react. It can be smart and it can be dumb

+ It has learnt a lesson from Borderlands that having to cover wide areas on foot is shit and allows you to spawn a vehicle when and where you stand.

+ Loot.

- The sound is appalling. The mix is totally off.

- Enemies respawn so quick that as you're clearing your path from one end of the map to the other that you will get shot in the back.

- The gun play is a bit easy, there's no challenge at all.

- You can't pause it. I stopped to take a picture to upload to twitter and came back to a respawn screen. I saw folks in my game as well, but they never attacked me or got in my way.

- The quest giving is lazy as fuck. It's basically a microphone stuck out the floor, trying to activate it often means killing monsters you just killed seconds ago.

It sort of feels like a design they've striped right back from an MMO and put shooter leanings back where the usual gameplay would have gone.

This Alpha ends on Sunday, and the Beta begins on July 17th.

I played a bunch last night and really like it. It's Halo. I played a bit of Control (Domination) this morning, and liked that also. The hub world where you change your spec etc is very Mass Effect in style. I'm playing as a female, obv. No negatives from me so far. I'll be on it again tonight.

I've just changed my pre-order from Zavvi to Amazon (£45), because I want this game on release. Can't wait.

Played about 3/4hrs of this. Wasn't really digging it at first, but when they just let you loose to explore its decent.

Not really digging the amount of fetch quests in the alpha too. Hopefully that's sorted on release.

Had a cool moment in the Devil's instance. Had a full fireteam all the way up the to tank boss but the game then loses connection or something and I lose my 2 teammates. Thought I would have to fight on on my own but 45 seconds or so later 2 new guys appear when I'm at and I continue on the instance with them. Pretty neat.

wow live dance off! i didn't know Ed was broadcasting.

yeah loading is quite slow i guess. in the loading screen with all the ships some people have different/fancy looking ships, you must be able to buy them.

played a few more hours multiplayer today and reached the level cap ( 8 ), but still not got a heavy weapon because i think you need to find them in single player/coop. there's no friendly fire, still getting used to the aiming down the sights, there is some multiplayer balancing because on the menu it says level advantages are disabled, but im not sure what that means exactly with everyone running around with different weapons and stuff. tried the sniper as the secondary weapon for a bit but because of the game mode it wasnt very useful.

and played a bit of the single player/coop, like Duck i was just finding green beacon things with fetch quests, assume there are some more proper missions but i've not seen them?

Played the other proper mission with the spider tank thing, it was alright, not sure what difficulty we played on but it was quite hard. I bought a new ship that appears on the loading screens, it's super cool, looks a little bit like a red version of the player 1 ikaruga ship. Got a rocket launcher. Tried a machine gun and couldn't get on with it at all. Should have tried some of the different classes but didn't get round to it.

I play, or used to play a lot of halo online and was thinking this might be the game to play online in the future, but I'm not totally convinced after the alpha, it's a lot of fun but not sure I'll be playing it for years like the halo games. Still looking forward to the beta :)

well, i say I've been trying to avoid any talk of destiny, but Iv'e been reading through this thread with interest, and it reminds me of how bungie are pretty good for beta testing.

I remember with Halo:reach, where they did beta testing and said how the build was several months old, they just want to see about balancing some things and also see where the levels are broken.

Bungie actively encouraged people to record weird stuff that happened in game and they published a weekly round up of the best in-game glitches. It makes me pleased that Bungie are doing alpha *and* beta testing for destiny.

hopefully this means that the game is going to work out of the gates, and not spend the first 6 months being unplayable *cough* battlefield *cough*

• 1 month later...

Thought we could use this thread for the beta and maybe change the name.

Beta is released today but at 5pm our time, which is a fucking stupid time for it as I wanted to have it downloading through the day on my lovely work connection, but im going to now spend all thursday night downloading it and probably most of Friday as its reported to be around 14GB....particularly with everybody trying to download it, they should have just done an early release of it as then the staggering of it would have made more sense. Never mind.

I've pre-ordered from ShopTo and I've looked all over my account and there are no notifications or messages regarding a beta. And like I said, if they gave out the email with the code on a while back then it probably has been deleted or moved to spam (which I emptied after just giving it a quick scan a few days ago).

Oh, and I don't think your beta code will be much use to me since I think I'm the only one buying it on PS3.

There's a "beta codes/DLC" section in your account bit. If it's not there look at the destiny pre order in the pre-order section should be there too.

PSN is still fixing itself at the moment anyways.

Seems it's "update" download if you played the alpha. Was only about 300/400MB I think.

Still can't play because PSN is still buckled. :(

Edit: got in to be greeted by this. /face palm

post-1727-0-82963600-1405627738_thumb.jp