passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

OlliOlli

Sly Reflex

Do you like those runner games? Would you like to add even more complexity to them? Then step right this way, OlliOlli is for you.

OK, I sort of lied about the runner part. In those games you don't have control over how fast you go, in this you sort of do to an extent that you can press X to give yourself a nudge forward if you're going too slow. Once you start gaining momentum, that's it, you're shit out of luck if you want to slow down. You must tackle what the level throws at you at whatever speed you happen to be going.

Navigating the levels uses the shoulder buttons, the left control stick and X. In a similar manner to them Skate games EA did, tricks are assigned to the stick. You press X to land them. Grinds are also done on the analogue stick. Simple so far? Yes. The whole story? No. The game scores you similar to how the Tony Hawk games did. Pulling the same trick over and over depreciates the score. However, the main thing you need to do it land the trick, which is where the games risk/reward mechanic comes in. You need to press X as close to the floor as is possible to take home the full bounty of your trick. If you play it safe and press miles above the ground it takes a hefty slice of score from you, whereas if you completely fuck it up you lose almost everything. Grinds work in a similar manner in that you get a better score by pulling the trick as close to the last possible second you can. Quick tricks tend to be directions and quarter circles, whilst the harder longer more elaborate tricks are half or more circles, often with added L and R button presses. If you fail to land a trick your skater comically slips down whatever slope your on and you have to restart again. Landing tricks becomes critical at the latter end of the game due to how quickly you recover, if you botch a landing your skater wobbles, which often means you end up skating into some hazard or skating off a ledge to your doom.

From what I can see from what I've played, there's 50+ levels spread over 5 zones. Each zone has 5 ameatuer and 5 pro levels, pro level must be opened up by completing all the goals on the ameatuer levels. The goals are normally 2 score related goals and 3 stage related goals, which can vary between asking you to grind certain areas, collect certain pick ups, not fail any landings or not use any pushes. A lot of the time some of them are contradictory so you have to play the level over and over, which is no bad thing really.

The only thing I don't really like is that the game makes you use the touchscreen for almost all of the menu stuff. Considering the game only uses 4 parts of the system, having to manipulate the screen to retry and stuff is jarring and feels unnecessary. Also, I might be being stupid here, but where the fuck are the leaderboards? Seems a bit odd to have such a score attack heavy game be scoreboard-less.

Apart from that, I can't really complain. It's a proper nice little time waster.

• 2 months later...

I heard a while back that this has a bug that makes it crash and it seems they still haven't fixed it. I've taken the advice of turning the wi-fi off but that doesn't stop it from crashing for me. Every time I switch level it crashes.

Gotta say, I'm pretty pissed off about it.

• 1 month later...

Oncoming Update Fixes Game! Plus free PS3 and PS4 Versions For Existing Customers

They say that the best things come in threes – (or is that buses?) Anyway….

Everyone at Roll7 is ecstatic to say that the latest patch for OlliOlli on the PS Vita has finally fixed the crash bug that has been causing inconvenience to a small number of players. It’s with Sony’s QA team and should be rolling out for users before June 20th.

It’s been a busy period at our New Cross HQ lately, so we want to give massive props to our friends and partners at BlitWorks for narrowing down and finally terminating this nasty little menace.

Secondly, we have another big patch in the pipeline for June. This second patch will add fully functional Leaderboards to the game. For a game about tricking the living hell out of your friends and the world, we think this will be one hell of an important update – one that the OlliOlli community has been asking for since launch!

Thirdly, we can now officially announce the news that you have been waiting for – OlliOlli will be a Cross-Buy title! So if you own it on PS Vita, you’ll get it on PS3 and PS4 for free so you can play it on the big screen – with Cross-Save support.

It's about flipping time.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm stupidly addicted to this at the moment but I'm super stuck. Base is the name of the fourh set of levels and I'm stuck on Base 5. The difficulty spike is ridiculous and this level is based on memory of the level layout and leaves very little room for error. I hear the difficulty massively eases off after this for the final 5 levels (Neon City) but Ive tried for an hour and a half over two sessions and i cant do it.

I get to the point where my thumb refuses to work, instead of ollying I just skate in to the next obstacle or patch or rough ground. It;s then I have to tear myself away for another 24 hours.

This video perfectly shows what I mean, you get so far then you fuck up really randomly, start again and you fuck up the beginning bit up. What a cunt:

I remember this one.

Persistence will get you there

When I was just trying to get through the levels, remembering when to grind, and when to land an re-launch was the hardest part for me.

Remember as well that it's important to hit perfect grinds to keep your speed up, it's tempting to hold down on the stick when you're near a ledge to make sure you grab it, but sloppy grinds slow you way down.

you can do it!