passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us

DANGERMAN

If you are a particularly clever little button then you can find a few notes and that with some explanation of the condition, but you certainly arent spoon fed it, and like Ben says thats great because you wouldnt find a satisfactory explanation but also its not part of your life in the game. Following the story there would be tons of different theories and so on and, in all likelihood, unless civilisation got back to where it was before then you probably wouldnt know for certain.

Theres a bit I played yesterday that my wife watched and we had two totally different conclusions from the info. At one point theres an account of an outbreak in an area you are in, and as far as im concerned its just the story of that localised outbreak, but she thought it could perhaps be the original point of the outbreak worldwide. As far as I can see its actually not definitive either way but all things considered id say its 80% certain to be just a localised outbreak.

The bit im referring to is in the science lab where its been abandoned by the fireflies, and you find an audio account of a monkey biting a scientist, who im pretty sure turns out to be the scientist that has shot himself in the next room

Just finished Left Behind. Loved it. There's no more story DLC planned is there? :( Maybe I'll check out the comics.

Going to start a grounded run through I think. Anyone up for playing some factions together sometime? I'll maybe make a thread.

Just finished it and as I said the other day, loved the overall experience that they create. Still mulling over the ending will do what I normally do and read everything ever written about it to inform my decision. Didnt agree with the choices before me.

Kinda blows my mind that Kanji from Persona 4 and Joel are the same guy.

I don't think it was in the original version. But I noticed they put the hour and half making of doc the Area5 guys made in the cinematics section. Kinda cool.

This game, guys. This game.

It has some of the best, if not the best animation, modelling and voice over work I've seen in a game. The game part of it is actually one of the worst things about it and for me it pulls me out of the experience like I've never really experienced before.

Just some of the things that have brought me right out of the fact I'm playing a game are:

"Shh, be very quiet, this clicker will kill us all if we don't sneak past it"

*next room*

"Ah shit, I need to drag this box, oh well let's get to it!" *drags box making a literal fuck load of noise that can be heard for miles around*

When you fight guys that shoot at you, they don't drop any ammo or guns hardly. You're telling me that a guy can sit behind a box all day shooting at me, but as soon as I drop him he has zero bullets on him. That's bullshit, man. On the escape part of the game I killed all the enemies with headshots, between them they dropped something like 4 bullets? Absolute nonsense.

Anything that has enemies in the area just feels like packing, I mean it's all perfectly serviceable but it feels like an obstruction to the walking about and talking. There's such a gulf between the game parts and the cinematic parts it's unbelievable.

Despite all that I'm still enjoying it, even if the game part of it is relatively weak.

I think normal is a 'play for the story' kind of mode.

I hope you stick to the Survivor run, Nag. I think it probably is one of the most satisfying things I've done in games. The last quarter I nearly gave up but since I was so close I had to figure it out or it would have bugged me for the rest of my life.

Feck ammo, it's just a power up. Get down with the brick's and bottle's attributes and have yourself a heck of a good time being crafty and brutal.

There was one part I got stuck on where there was one Clicker surrounded by Runners. I tried for about 15 minutes trying to pick them off one by one and then I realised that you could go around the back way and pick them off that way. I fucked up though and had to beat them to death with my fists after one of them spotted me, luckily I had a pipe that I could wrap around the Clickers head. I can't say I'm smitten with the stealth in this, it seems very haphazard in that you get spotted randomly.

The brick think really annoys me as well, if I chuck a brick and it hits someone in the head, it's going to knock them the fuck out at the very least. I expect death in most of the cases unless they're wearing a helmet of some sort. Again this is gamification that brings me right out of being engrossed.

The brick think really annoys me as well, if I chuck a brick and it hits someone in the head, it's going to knock them the fuck out at the very least. I expect death in most of the cases unless they're wearing a helmet of some sort. Again this is gamification that brings me right out of being engrossed.

When I realised TLoU was video game as fuck I was delighted, personally. It totally didn't take me out of the cinematic stuff.

When I realised TLoU was video game as fuck I was delighted, personally. It totally didn't take me out of the cinematic stuff.

Actually, I was sitting on the bus today thinking about what you said and I did have a problem with the idea of gamifacation, as if it's a thing that can delegitimatise games.

While TLoU has realistic themes and all that drama I don't think clearly defined game mechanics, that aren't realistic, can necessarily mess it up. If they did no-one would give a shit about games. No-one would care about characters that spend a lot of their time in turn based combat, for example.

What TLoU does with its mechanics is present situations that require survival, uncertainty, brutalness, creativity and some good shooting. They're all things that fit the theme of the game and the characters that star in it.

Realism couldn't do that. A head shot with a brick to kill would make the game far too easy and it would lose what it accomplishes so well.

A lot of games don't simulate experiences for you you, but shepherd you through constructed ones, but giving you options to make you feel like you outsmarted it, and The Last of Us does a really good job at that. Those mechanics it has are so good at complimenting the story... I'd say they surpass it on the harder difficulties.

Man, I know IGN and everyone flaps their gums about this game in a lot of ways but I think this game is so damn together. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 2 and this are the games of their respective generations. All of them are so damn together. You gotta look past the hype and see how legit the game is. It's a weird one; that's my tuppence.

As much as I love this game (second playthrough, even shinier on PS4), Sly does make some valid criticisms. Gun-firing enemies not dropping bullets is a bit bollocks. Ok, they don't want you swimming in ammo. But when they fire the same guns as you, it's a bit stupid you can't even empty the clip from their cold dead hands.

And as for bricks? There's a challenge for killing so many enemies with them. Good luck with that, you're more likely to get yourself shot.

But still, a brilliant game.

I finished my second play through on Friday, and it's still up there as one of the best games I have ever played. I don't have a list of my favourite games ever or anything, but it's easy top 25 I reckon. I still have Left Behind to play, too.