passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo 3DS XL

Manicm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they get the price down to £149, could be tempted to pick one up, the 3d screen alone should be worth it. What were original ds games like on the dsi xl?? did they get too spaced out as it were or was the resolution up to it??

If they get the price down to £149, could be tempted to pick one up, the 3d screen alone should be worth it. What were original ds games like on the dsi xl?? did they get too spaced out as it were or was the resolution up to it??

My partner swears by her DSi XL. She's held off getting a 3DS as she didn't want to move back to a smaller screen. I think she's very tempted by this larger version - 90% bigger screen! Yay!

I'm tempted to be honest, but I don't understand how i would retain my current friend code, how to transfer it over without loss of other friend codes etc.

cool, from what i found the bottom screen is the same size (4.2) as the dsi xl and the top screen is bigger (4.8) due to it being widescreen and stuff.

edit - yeah games could look a bit blocky on the dsi xl, but it never really bothered me, really like it actually.

Quote fron Nintendo Gamer:

It’s fine, you can transfer them all over, as well as your Nintendo eShop account and even your Play Coins, StreetPass Data, unlocked hats, Activity Log – essentially, if you at least keep hold of your 3DS until you get the XL and do the system transfer, it’ll be as if the XL was your original 3DS.

Good to know.

I thought I'd move this to News, even though it started off as a thread for prices. Hope that's OK with you, manicm.

Has anyone mentioned that it doesn't come with an AC adapter yet? :huh:

This is shamelessly stolen from NeoGAF.

I can sum it up.

- The screens are HUUUGE!

- DS games will get a "third life" on the bigger screen.

- The 3D effect is easier on the eye and nicer to the look.

- The technology behind the 3D might have been improved on the XL model. (To confirm)

- They think there's some kind of "filter" at works here because the pixels appear "rounded."

- "The XL is so much more comfortable to hold than the original 3DS that we have to ask what the hell has Nintendo been doing in R&D with the original model." (Paraphrased)

- The difference might be small, but the buttons felt well placed and of better quality.

- The circle pad appears bigger. (To confirm)

- Surprisingly light for its size.

- 3DS games will gain new life from the XL.

- Speakers and sounds doesn't appear to have improve. (Was in a noisy room, to confirm.)

- The XL is an upgrade on the 3DS from almost every single point.

From Google translate:

Huge screen

Better viewing angle

3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural

2D mode looks better than regular 3DS

Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)

The grip (round corners) fit nicely

Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)

Unit is lighter than they expected

There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look

Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

From that site:

http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121

4fe9e7c5a75bc2.jpg

New french preview here:

http://www.bamarenlive.com/2012/06/t...do-3ds-xl.html

- the screen looks good, very good

- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.

- the screen seems very luminous

- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate

- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore

xl1-1.jpg

xl2-1.jpg

xl3.jpg

xl4.jpg

Hands-on video:

Anyone think nintendo has missed a trick with no right analoigue stick on this model?? or will we see another console unit next year??

Saying that i did buy the add-on for the 3ds but i think ive used it once maybe twice.

But back on track, i am tempted by this console more so than before, i tend to play late in the day on the 3ds but often get nintendo thumb, hoping the bigger console will fix this, as i don't get this issue with the ps vita.

I think adding a second circle pad would have split the market. Devs would have to make their games work on the regular 3DS, so the second stick would never be a primary concern. Kudos to Nintendo for sticking to their guns and keeping it to just one.

I am tempted by the 3DS XL, but would want to transfer everything over. My Ambassador games, all Virtual Console and DSiWare etc along with all the saves. This'll be hard to do in a shop as it takes quite a while and requires both systems to be connected to the internet, so kind of rules out the possibility of a trade-in.

I think adding a second circle pad would have split the market. Devs would have to make their games work on the regular 3DS, so the second stick would never be a primary concern. Kudos to Nintendo for sticking to their guns and keeping it to just one.

I am tempted by the 3DS XL, but would want to transfer everything over. My Ambassador games, all Virtual Console and DSiWare etc along with all the saves. This'll be hard to do in a shop as it takes quite a while and requires both systems to be connected to the internet, so kind of rules out the possibility of a trade-in.

Didn't GAME do something when the 360s came out where you traded your old console in after you transferred data? I'll be looking to do something like that maybe.

Im glad your able to transfer the data over, that would entice me more to get it.

Still dunno whats up with having no adapter, why would you even decide something like this? America gets it with one and bundled with the new Mario game.

Still.. lugging that around in your pocket to get streetpasses doesnt seem appealing.