Summer of Arcade 2012

Hendo

the summer of arcade line up has been revealed elsewhere at E3

Hybrid

Deadlight

Tony Hawk HD

Wreckateer

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Weird, less than the usual exciting, trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PAlL0MK0VM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As it says at the end, buy 3 of them, get 400 points back.

Which is lucky as I can't see me buying more than 3, as it stands only one is surefire, which is Tony Hawks. Most likely Deadlight, and will see how Dust gets on, looks lovely.

Wreckateer reminds me of Boom Blox so I'd be all over it but no Kinect. Hybrid I played the beta of and I have enough competitive shooters.

Wreckateer to me looks like a modern twist on angry birds?? and so far the only game to tempt me to kinect fifa 13 being the next one, being able to shout at the ref and give out team orders, looks like a kinect will be finding its way under my tele, ive resisted long enough i think. Its a pity i can't have kinect voice commands through the headset instead of shelling out for a piece of r2d2!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-07-microsofts-summer-of-arcade-2012-posts-uninspiring-sales

This year's Summer of Arcade promotion for Xbox Live Arcade has posted overall uninspiring sales, with Kinect Angry Birds-style game Wreckateer the worst-selling Summer of Arcade title in the promotion since at least 2009.

Wreckateer notched up just 6629 players during its first week on sale, Gamsutra reported, the worst total for a Summer of Arcade game since at least 2009.

(The promotion began in 2008, but there are no records to chart that year's sales.)

2012's selection comprised of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, Wreckateer, Deadlight, Hybrid and Dust: An Elysian Tale.

Hybrid, a third-person shooter from Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell, followed Wreckateer as the promotion's second worst-selling game since records began. It notched up 12,168 players during its first week. 8150 gamers joined in its second week, trailing off to just 2654 more during its third.

Numbers weren't all bad - more than 98,000 signed up to Tony Haw HD during its launch week, while more than 53,000 bought Deadlight and 32,000 got swept up in Dust: AET.

Overall, 2012 has not been a bad year for Xbox Live Arcade gaming. Trials Evolution and Minecraft both smashed sales records, while indie successes such as Fez and Spelunky have found critical acclaim.

Indeed, sandwiching this year's Summer of Arcade between such highlights and Valve's Counter-Strike: GO may have exacerbated the problem.

CS:GO recorded 145,709 players during its first week on sale - demonstrating that, while this year's Summer of Arcade may have been a damp squib, there's life on the platform yet.

I personally thought the stuff in this years Summer of Arcade was proper wank. Dust was probably the only one that deserved to be in the line up.

If I had Kinect I'd have got Wreckateer as it looks good fun. Deadlight will be a sale job, Dust I didn't like the art style so sale again.

Hybrid I played the beta of and just didn't like the style of game it was.

Tony Hawks was a little disappointing with some niggles but overall a good game.

I didn't buy any this time round. I have the wreckateer demo, but haven't gotten round to trying it yet.

I'll give Dust and Deadlight a try if they come up in a sale, I'm not really interested enough in them. As a multiplayer-only shooter that didn't work in the first couple of weeks, Hybrid has basically fucked itself. There's no chance for it now.

Deadlight certainly looked promising but when the reviews came in it seems like it had a lot of the same flaws of last year's War of the Worlds game, which isn't good.

What's odd is there was been a lot of good XBLA games this year but they didn't put them in the Summer of Arcade promotion. My guess is they were confident things like Spelunky, Fez, Trials 2 and Counterstrike would do okay on there own and they tried to push the more B-list stuff during the summer offer for more sales. /speculation