passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mass Effect 3

Sly Reflex

I had a quick go of the multiplayer. I was expecting it to be shitter that ITV2. SURPRISE! It's actually pretty damn good. Tacked on multi that I actually wouldn't mind playing. How about that.

I'm not going to go into the single part of the game, mainly because spoilers and stuff. This is based on my impressions of the MP only.

Multiplayer starts with you picking a class. From memory there are 6 classes. From what I can tell each class has 3 Biotic powers (could be more) which are mapped to Y, LB and RB. As you play you level up and are able to put points into the usual perks, similar to how it worked levelling up companions in ME1 & 2. Levelling up also allows you to start other characters, initially it looks like you are locked down to either human males and females in each class available. I'm not sure if biotic powers vary between sexes, but from what it looks like other races have to be unlocked by levelling up your character.

The actual games that I played where the usual horde mode fare, except this time each class plays a designated part in the 4 man squad. Obviously at the start everyone has bare bones weapons and Biotics, so it basically turns into a case of fight for a few waves before the enemies get the better of you, and then level up some. When you do get some Biotic powers under your belt, you'll get further into the waves. However, it's not as simple as eliminating enemies, there are waves where you are times to eliminate certain VIP's, and it looks like there are set ups where you have to protect certain objectives and the usual fare of gametypes that happen in vs type games. You'll go from holding up against all odds in one wave to chasing down VIP's another. It mixes things up a bit similar to how the bonus objectives do in Gears 3 Horde, but in this case they are the key to passing the round, not just the objective. It sort of feels a bit like Section 8's mid-match missions that can really effect who wins, although this time instead of playing against other people you are playing against AI with some buddies in tow.

I went engineer class, and Mika went soldier. If anyone wants to join in with us on this tomorrow night when we are on get the bloody thing downloaded, create a class and join us. I could imagine it being really good with a full lobby.

I started the Multiplayer today after reading that wee post. I am pretty amazed by it. Initially me and my wee level 0 hero was dying almost immediately but after getting the hang of it and levelling up it has clicked very well indeed. Shooting advancing enemies while setting up the combat drone, finding cover, reviving allies, blasting grenades at big fucking robots, head shotting with the pistol....it's so dreamy!

I'll play wit chu Sly.

Won't be able to do it until this evening if you are still on around then. I'm thinking about killing people in the future as I type.

Hadn't gave two fucks about the multi before playing it today now ME3 can consider itself pre-ordered the fuck out. This and SF X Tekken in March?? COLLEGE FAIL LOL.

Spent the night playing this with Craig and Mika. It's solid. Really really solid. The more you play, the better it gets. The better it gets, the more you experiment. The more you experiment, the more you play. I expected nothing but shit from this section of the game, but it's fried gold. Download the demo and give it a try, just don't dismiss it until you've levelled up some, you'll only be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• 3 weeks later...

I've moved all the non-impressions posts into the news thread, I suspect this thread is going to be enormous without them. And when I finally get round to playing it I'll probably be the last person and will have to read through all of it :fist:

My god this is brilliant so far.

Have one minor quibble: If you import a character it bumps you straight up to the level of the character, rather than starting you off at level 1. Unfortunately this means i've started the game at level 30 with 59 points to spend on powers which effectively means I can unlock everything right off the bat.

I don't really feel overpowered as such as the game seems to scale the enemies to your level, it just kinda kills any sense of progression is all. Not sure whether to ration the points out every so often or just screw it and unlock everything.

Im curious... i finished ME 2, then started again on a higher difficulty. Im only half way through that save and i wondered if ME3 would recognise that ive finished the game once and nobody died at the end. If not that means im gonna have to burn through my second ME2 playthough cos i want to play ME3 with those consequences. Its not like its a new save file from scratch either, im pretty sure it says ive been playing for 30 hours plus which includes the time and level from the original play through.

I lost my ME2 save so would start this from a fresh character each time. Any drawbacks to doing that that anyone has seen so far?

Well, you'll have the wrong Shepard for a start..

Oh what are you even talking about Jim?!

Anybody who isnt a total fucking MORON? :finger:

I lost my ME2 save so would start this from a fresh character each time. Any drawbacks to doing that that anyone has seen so far?

Well, you'll have the wrong Shepard for a start..

Oh what are you even talking about Jim?!

Anybody who isnt a total fucking MORON? :finger:

:weep:

I don't see why there would be. I guess you'd miss all those awesome bits of tiny decisions you made in the previous games, but apart from that I guess that's it. I've got to say though, I'd totally miss all those, even though I've forgotten many of them ME2 had a nice way of reminding you of those tiny decisions you made. I remember in ME1 doing all these things where I had to get a guy to stop pretending to be an N7 spectre unit, eventually I lost my cool with him and told him to fucking give up or I'd hurt/kill him. He showed up in ME2 and basically gave me a bollocking or something and said he was no longer my biggest fan. I'd totally forgotten about him, it was a really nice touch for the game to do that.

Im curious... i finished ME 2, then started again on a higher difficulty. Im only half way through that save and i wondered if ME3 would recognise that ive finished the game once and nobody died at the end. If not that means im gonna have to burn through my second ME2 playthough cos i want to play ME3 with those consequences. Its not like its a new save file from scratch either, im pretty sure it says ive been playing for 30 hours plus which includes the time and level from the original play through.

in the import process it shows what you've done in the save game before you have to commit to it so you could load it up and see what it says, for example mine said i had

11 survivors

, which happens at the end of ME2.