passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Mafia is bloody awesome. Shame they didn’t put as much effort into the Mafia 2 Remaster, which was a bloody mess.

Evil Dead is alright, but its lack of variety, and ridiculously hard solo missions soon took the shine off. I’ve played Dead By Daylight for well over 2,000 hours, and this was no replacement for that. 

Not arsed about skateboarding so I won’t even bother with Oli. 

Pretty great line-up that, albeit none are particularly new, and I won't actually have any time to play any.

I'm hoping once I get my PSVR2 that'll enable me a lot more hours to play games again. Absolutely loved Mafia back on PS2 but never got the chance to play the Remake when it came around on PS+ Premium and likely will not have the chance again this time around.

That's the big USP for PSVR2 for me, in that it'll finally enable to have as much screen time with the PS5 as I want. Considering a 4K monitor would be £200+ and I'll be using this for that purpose and obviously VR stuff, then it's kind of a good deal. That's how I've justified the cost anyway lol.

I guess I just have a really different perspective on that, VR is such an attention devourer and requires you to sort of lock yourself away and make both time and space free. Even if you play it seated or whatever (dont want to be tossing grenades or swinging a sword around if you dont know who's nearby). Also it's generally an unpleasant way to play things that aren't specifically built for VR, if it's used as a monitor

I don't doubt that though PSVR will probably be close to the best hardware implementation you can buy out there, short of crazy ass shit like the PIMAX with its crazy fov and resolution or the Index with its cool controllers (which has shittier lens than PSVR so PS still kinda wins there imo)

I only plan on using it for VR stuff when the missus is asleep really, the dog will be more of an issue I guess but it has got cameras to see the outside world so I'm hoping I'll be ok, I still need to measure my living room to make sure it's big enough as well. 

I never tried the second screen on my OG PSVR when I had it, so we'll see how I get on with that really, I also need to make sure the cable will reach the couch ok and isn't too taught for the dog & wife to trip over but I'm not sure of the exact length yet.

While I get the sentiment, and I understand it. The pricepoint considering the tech on board is actually low if anything, I know that sounds a bit mad but compared to almost all over VR headsets it's still 'cheap' and cutting edge considering said 'cheapness' but I know it's not for everyone.

Truth be told, I don't even know it's for me really. I played my OG PSVR for about a month and then it sat gathering dust until I sold it about 2 years later. But then PSVR1 always felt a bit like it cut corners to get to such a 'low' price at the time that it lessened the experience.

Thumper in VR is still something I remember vividly though, what an amazing experience that was.

Room scale VR, which is any modern VR headset, is the antidote for the 'lack of innovation' people have been complaining about in modern gaming (justified complaining, imo). It's genuinely a completely different paradigm with unique possibilities for player expression and gameplay that can cater to the high fidelity input of actually moving your head around and having each of your hands be independent of your viewport.

But it's just the type of thing where you have to accept it's never going to really cement itself like the way a PS5 will, or even PC gaming. It's a high asking price for something which is genuinely different, but is highly unlikely to give you the same mileage as the 'un-innovative' main systems. As long as you're ok with that and can accept that kind of outlay then that's probably fine.

For now, I'm going to sit out at least the first month or so of PSVR. I think I'll still buy one, but with such an uninteresting lineup and nothing interesting on the horizon (even Horizon) and the apparent underwhelming pre-order performance I don't see the need to rush, even tho I literally bought the system because of VR (before it even got announced, I think)

14 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Pre-orders not so good, however 

I don't actually think the price point of the PSVR2 is unjustified, the hardware is clearly good enough for the price they are asking for. But software lineup, lack of BC* and critically, imo, the lack of PC support is what kills the value here. Because high end VR has mostly been a PC space, so it's valid to consider this as well when considering the different options in the market

There's a huge market out there for something with this 'mid tier' pricing for PCVR as well (yea, 600 euro is 'mid tier' in VR land). It could have worked out well. Also, OLED. HL Alyx with inky blacks so you're not watching headcrabs sit around in a grey ocean of murky noise.

*tbf, this is at least somewhat understandable based on how different the tracking is. Every game would need to be rebuilt. Still, it's a thing that sticks out. 

It’s not hard to imagine a device £130 more than quest two with mostly quest 2 games and that isn’t backwards compatible isn’t going to sell well to begin with. Psvr didn’t do well until a price cut and even then it was tiny by comparison to ps4 base. It might be great, I don’t doubt it, but that price doesn’t reflect the times for many. 

17 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

For now, I'm going to sit out at least the first month or so of PSVR. I think I'll still buy one, but with such an uninteresting lineup and nothing interesting on the horizon (even Horizon) and the apparent underwhelming pre-order performance I don't see the need to rush, even tho I literally bought the system because of VR (before it even got announced, I think)

it's a shame you won't be there day 1, especially as you bought the system pretty much for this, but they did mess you about with the pre-orders and if you're not new (or new-ish in my case) to VR then I get there isn't too much exciting stuff on the horizon in terms of games. I think once the Horizon: CotM reviews drop it'll hopefully change a few minds, the issue is there doesn't appear to be anything else like that due this year really.

9 hours ago, mmmark said:

It’s not hard to imagine a device £130 more than quest two with mostly quest 2 games and that isn’t backwards compatible isn’t going to sell well to begin with. Psvr didn’t do well until a price cut and even then it was tiny by comparison to ps4 base. It might be great, I don’t doubt it, but that price doesn’t reflect the times for many. 

It's significantly better than a Quest 2 in terms of specs though, but then you don't need a PS5 for Quest 2 either. I agree insofar as joe public will just see a like for like price comparison and baulk at the perceived difference in value proposition and cost. It's a luxury product at the end of the day, it's priced as such and as such it'll never be something that sells gangbusters or gets accepted by the mainstream.

I do think in general too much stock is being put in that guys article in general though, but it's difficult to discern having not been able to read it all, the basis for his info seems to be from one analyst and his own 'insights' into Sony's predictions, they've not released to the public. This guy does seem to have an axe to grind against Sony, multiple negative articles in the past with little substance and famously got the Switch 2 wrong. 

Not saying there's no basis in it but there is little fact and lots of interpretation, opinion and thoughts masquerading as facts in the article from what I can gather reading Era notes of it etc. At the end of the day, folks with no interest in VR and those already negative of the tech will jump on articles like this to shore up their own negative thoughts on the matter. 

Once the device comes out we'll find out how well it sells (likely better than this guy is suggesting but far from even 'good') but likely won't ever know Sony's internal predictions. As always the negativity, doom mongering and hyperbole surrounding releases such as this I find a bit waring, but that's the internet for you. 

I've never been 100% sure about it myself, still not sat here typing this, but I like trying new tech and giving it a go. There was a lot of promise in PSVR1 but the tech just let it down for, whereas with this the tech and software should work more in harmony with one another.

tbh, if the word of mouth impressions are strong enough I might just order one on this month's payday. But I just feel at this point I'd like to wait a bit and hear what VR vets make of it, because as much as I like VR I think I haven't used my quest much at all since going crazy on RE4 VR.

Again, if they announce full VR for RE4 then I'm back to day 1.

Game Informer: Sony says it has not cut PSVR2 Production Numbers

Following a recent Bloomberg report that stated Sony had told supply partners to prepare for a reduction in display panel orders, alongside word that the company had halved its shipment forecast as a result of disappointing pre-order numbers, Sony has refuted the claim in a new statement to GamesIndustry.biz. 

The publication reports that "PlayStation says it has not cut production numbers for its upcoming VR headset," touching on Bloomberg's report. Playstation told GamesIndustry.biz that it is "seeing enthusiasm from PlayStation fans for the upcoming launch, which includes more than 30 titles such as Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Call of the Mountain, and Resident Evil Village." 

Surprise, surprise (not), it was bollocks.

yeah, I just got the email. Bit shit

The PlayStation Plus Collection is closing
From 9 May the PlayStation®Plus Collection will no longer be available as a PlayStation Plus benefit. You can add any of the titles from the PlayStation Plus Collection to your Game Library before 9 May and play at any time in the future with an active PlayStation Plus membership. PlayStation Plus Game Catalogue, Monthly Games and other existing benefits will not be affected by this change. Thank you for your continued support of PlayStation Plus.

It’s more proof than a random no name analyst @mmmark lol, taking away any biases I think it’s clear to see the source in that case was spurious at best, I think that’s a fair assessment. Sony should know the numbers they’re manufacturing rather than no name analyst guy/girl you would’ve thought 🤷‍♀️ it’s good not to take every article you read at face value.

Anyhoo, disappointing the PS+ collection is going away, I too got the email last night but I guess most have been added to PS+ anyway so it’s not a huge loss? But I’m not 100%, I’m sure a few titles will slip through the net which isn’t great.

Also