passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Went and ordered a dualsense for my PC, I know it doesn't do the haptic stuff on non-PS5 hardware but I just had my DS4 left stick fail again (third broken controller in 18 months) and I'm sick of it.

I prefer the Sony stuff for all the DMC things I be doing, which is why I'm not getting an xbox controller.

I got my dualsense, it doesn't have the special features on PC but there's a program you can use to fiddle with that stuff if you want. I was messing around with the triggers and it occurs to me that if you're playing games which use them a lot (the 'stiff' locked triggers like in CoD) then the mechanics inside would get a lot of wear and tear.

I saw this thread today where apparently loads of people are already having this problem, so I dunno. Figured I'd put it here. Probably something to watch out for, maybe not worth turning on at all if they're breaking for people that fast.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dualsense-triggers-failing-for-some-users.349477/page-14

The controller feels nice, the back is very sexy. I just hope this doesn't have the rubbish stick drift problem that ds4 has.

Worrying but it’s so good I’ll take the chance it may break. Just hope they get the reliability down in short time.

Speaking of the Duel Sense. I tried posting in the game thread but having issues with the site for some reason so I’ll just quickly mention it here. If you like racing games and have a PS5, get WRC 9. It’s honestly a game changer. The pad integration is ridiculously good. Better than Astro and finally shows a 3rd party who can really utilise it. 

Early days yet, like Nag it hasn’t been implemented greatly in the 3rd parties I’ve played thus far (or even DS and Miles for that matter). Early days though, time will tell, Ubi patched support in for ACV after launch but that was - again - disappointing.

It was great in Sackboy, you can usually tell when a game is using it properly as the battery goes much quicker than normal ?

Haven’t noticed it much in H3, will try it with Yakuza next month too but not expecting a lot.

Well it is Ubisoft so I can imagine their implementation being a bit shit. 

What did Sackboy use it for?

Yea WRC kills battery in mine. Understandably. It’s constantly playing sound and vibrating. Times like that I wish it took batteries so I could just swap them out when it dies. Hate plugging it in. 

I'm told Demon's Souls does the same, with the bow and arrow sensitivity. I didn't notice a difference. But by the same token, I hadn't played the game any differently than when it was on PS3. So any alteration like that would have been lost on me. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Stickdrift also a thing now apparently.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/48944/heres-why-ps5-joysticks-drift-and-why-theyll-only-get-worse

Damn, literally the reason I got a dualsense was to escape DS4 stick drift ?

I never had that problem with DS1, 2 or 3. Just 4 and apparently 5 I can look forward to it

I wouldn’t worry, whole thing has been overblown, you’d be incredibly unlucky to get it. It’s not a widespread issue like Joy-Con drift. 

Hopefully the longer production goes on these issues will be 100% eliminated though. 

I had issues with one launch DS4’s thumb stick peeling (sent back to Sony for a replacement) and another where the trigger collapsed (again, sent back to Sony for a replacement) but haven’t had any issues since then.

My SoT Xbox controller started peeling around the end of 2019 and I had to get thumbsticks to cover it (as presumably out of warranty - I should check this actually).

I don’t get how this has become such a issue is recent times. Surely analogue sticks have been around for long enough where they should just work perfectly now? I don’t get it.

I’ve never had issue with any until the Switch - which I’ve barely played but started when my partner was playing Animal Crossing. Luckily I use the Hori split pad or Pro controller when I do play it so not had to deal with it.

Why has it been overblown? The guy seems to put forward a pretty convincing analysis. 

I assume now that the DS5 uses similar tech as DS4 cause DS4 was the worst and most unreliable controller I've ever used. Was speaking to some FFXIV people the other day who all have the same problem with DS4, the one that seems to be creeping up in DS5 reports. 

It's one of those things that shouldn't be dismissed IMO if you haven't had the issue cause there's a fairly non trival number of reports about this stuff with previous and current gen controllers. Something's the matter here.

Again I got a DS5 to get away from this specific issue cause I'd trusted after 7 years sony would have already fixed it by now

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

I’ve never had issue with any until the Switch - which I’ve barely played but started when my partner was playing Animal Crossing. Luckily I use the Hori split pad or Pro controller when I do play it so not had to deal with it.

Exact same with me, never had any drift issues with any controller until I got my Switch.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Why has it been overblown? The guy seems to put forward a pretty convincing analysis. 

I assume now that the DS5 uses similar tech as DS4 cause DS4 was the worst and most unreliable controller I've ever used. Was speaking to some FFXIV people the other day who all have the same problem with DS4, the one that seems to be creeping up in DS5 reports. 

It's one of those things that shouldn't be dismissed IMO if you haven't had the issue cause there's a fairly non trival number of reports about this stuff with previous and current gen controllers. Something's the matter here.

Again I got a DS5 to get away from this specific issue cause I'd trusted after 7 years sony would have already fixed it by now

I’m sure he has, I just think it’s a bit of scaremongering at the moment really, it’s a super rare thing among DualSenses, it’s not a common issue like it is on Switch. That’s where I feel it’s been overblown as people like to say x = y and blow things out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Because it's Sony.?

Nah, it’s cause people are trying to make it sound like it’s super common like it is on Switch, whereas in reality it’s super rare. That’s why. 

I'm not scare mongering, I'm pointing to my own experiences and the fact that the guy in that link points out that the same off the shelf components and mechanics are being used. They haven't changed this part of the controller from DS4 from DS5 so I don't really trust the issue is fixed or the reliability improved

The reason it might happen so regularly for me is cause I play so much DMC which involves a lot of strange movements on the left stick to pull off moves. That doesn't make it an acceptable flaw tho imo and for me it isn't super rare at all, I think it's unacceptable.

What the console manufacturers should look at doing imo is what MS did with RROD where when there's a clearly observable flaw and enough smoke in the form of user reports you extend the warranty for your customers rather than ask for blind trust in fixing the problem. This isn't platform war stuff, each of the three console manufacturers should be doing this if they already aren't. It's a waste of money

I think it's a wear and tear thing. You think about how a controller works.

The buttons are just on off switches, so they've less chance to fail unless you're really hammering on them. They're still going to wear, everything does. Press a button enough and eventually it'll not connect.

Analogue triggers are the next in complexity. Depending on the type of games you play they can be heavily utilised as well, meaning wear is increased. They probably get mistreated a bit when the games get a bit hectic as well.

Finally you have the sticks. They get used all the time and the complexity of the workings are much higher than the rest of the other moving parts of the controller. So it's seeing the most actions per minutes over the simpler parts, of course it's going to wear and fuck up.

I am pretty sure that since analogue controllers have been a thing I've had them wear and end up drifting. Right from the PS1 and N64 ones right through to the One controllers I have now will probably end up suffering from it or some other fault.

I think the last few generations Nintendo have had super form for it though, the 3DS analogue would break when performing certain movements repeatedly, and the Switch ones drift. I've not had either of these happen to me personally, but I know they exist so denying it's a problem seems a bit silly. I think a lot of Nintendo's faults come from trying to minimise the design and use mats that might not be able to stand up top the abuse that's thrown at them.

I am pretty sure we're going to see a lot of PS5 pad news as the machine ages. The pad is a jump in tech and the more complicated things get, the more prone to faults they are. I don't think it helps matters that the haptic feedback might make people man handle the controllers harder than they need to be, but this is Sony's problem. The controller needs to be rugged enough to take this amount of abuse. If it can't then they need to admit that there's a problem and start planning to rectify it.

Or they could not just give a fuck, see how long people put up with paying £60 a pop for a controller before calling it a day.