passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Diablo III

retroed

No thread for this, so may as well start one. It's looking highly likely that Diablo III will be heading to console as well as PC.

CEO Mike Morhaime said the firm has been conducting ongoing exploration into the viability of Diablo on console.

Morhaime told MCV: “We are looking for a couple of console developers, yes. At this stage though, it’s basically an investigation to see if it makes sense for Diablo to be a console game as well as a PC game.

"We haven’t made any decisions yet, but a lot us feel that if ever there was a Blizzard franchise that could play well as a console game, then that’s probably it.”

MCV

Torchlight works fine on a console, so I don't see why this wouldn't. It's easy money, and Actibliz love a bit of that.

• 4 months later...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/diablo-iii-no-mods-online-only-cash-trades/

I don't intend to get all ranty or anything, but my first gut reaction to this news was to step back and genuinely consider if I really want to get the game anymore. The possibility that I might not buy it hadn't even crossed my mind before.

I was seriously looking forward to Diablo 3, after playing Diablo 2 to death back in the day. But I'm seriously considering missing this one.

The constant online won't stop pirate copies floating around the Tinternet. There were pirate copies of Star Craft 2 within a couple of days of it's release. Of course, there is no online play with these copies, but there are people who just want the single player campaign, and nothing more.

And my views of payment to unlock are these. I'll buy games. I'll even buy DLC and Expansions. But paying money just to get a hoofing great sword a bit earlier? Puuuleeeease!! Why not just sell me 100% completetion, and 1000XP, and be done with it.

• 5 months later...

"heading to consoles?" - yes.

Blizzard community manager Micah Whiple broke the news via his Twitter feed. No specific consoles were mentioned.

When asked if he could confirm or deny rumours the anticipated hack and slash was on the way for consoles, Whiple responded with the affirmative:

"Yup. Josh Mosqueira is lead designer for the Diablo console project."

• 2 weeks later...

http://spong.com/article/26159/Sanity-Time-No-One-Will-Care-if-Diablo-III-is-Late-says-Director

Sanity break! Diablo III director Jay Wilson has recently spoken up about the work that the team has been doing and has said a very, very sensible thing that may make early-adopting types red around the ring.

"While working on Diablo III we've been called out for messing around with systems too much, that the game is good as-is and we should just release it. I think that's a fair argument to make, but I also think it's incorrect."

The sanity starts to simmer, "Our job isn't just to put out a game, it's to release the next Diablo game."

And then, pow! A full outbreak of sense, "No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great."

Okay, that's weighted sense as people will also remember it if it's shit too, but you take his point.

He continues, "We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we're not quite there yet. In addition to finishing and polishing the content of the game we're continuing to iterate on some of the core game systems. So all that said, I'd like to provide everyone an update on some of the systems we're currently working on."

He does this over here at the source, which is the DiabloBlog

lizzard's Diablo III director Jay Wilson has shared his thoughts on Diablo III's release date in a blog post on the game's official site.

"No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great," he argued in response to suggestions Blizzard should speed up the game's release.

"While working on Diablo III we've been called out for messing around with systems too much, that the game is good as-is and we should just release it. I think that's a fair argument to make, but I also think it's incorrect. Our job isn't just to put out a game, it's to release the next Diablo game."

He went on to explain some of the game lay changes that are currently being implemented, including changes to character attributes, removing scrolls of identification and changing the way items work.

"We want Diablo III to be the best game it can be when it launches. To get there, we're going to be iterating on designs we've had in place for a long time," he added.

I like the thinking behind this. I think Nintendo said something similar on games being late but good, over them being on time and shit.

• 1 month later...

Finally seems to have a concrete release date, 15th May

The Collector's Edition, sold exclusively in retail stores, goes for £69.99. It includes the full game on DVD-ROM, a behind-the-scenes Blu-ray/DVD two-disc set, the Diablo 3 soundtrack CD, a 208-page Art of Diablo 3 book, and a 4 GB USB soulstone (including full versions of Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction) and corresponding Diablo skull base, as well as exclusive in-game content for Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, and StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty.

You can get Diablo 3 free buy signing up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass. This is a one year commitment to WOW that nabs you a free digital copy of Diablo 3, which you can play on 15th May. You'll also get an exclusive WOW in-game mount and access to the WOW: Mists of Pandaria beta test. This offer expires at 8.01am UK time on 1st May.

I know it's not really a reason for buying it, but 4gb for a memory stick is a bit shit these days

• 1 year later...
Blizzard has announced a Diablo 3 release date of September 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game was revealed for PS3 and PS4 in February, but wasn't confirmed for Microsoft's console until today. According to the official blurb:

The console versions of Diablo III have been custom-tailored for gamepad-driven action, with a dynamic camera perspective that puts your hero front and center, as well as an all-new user interface and an intuitive control system that make vanquishing evil feel like second nature.

Players can take on the vile denizens of the Burning Hells alone or in a party of up to four via same-screen local cooperative play or online over PlayStation Network or the Xbox Live online entertainment network from Microsoft. In addition, the game supports parties composed of both local and online players.

Select retailers are now taking pre-orders for the console versions of the game, which will be available at a suggested retail price of $59.99.

Customers who pre-order will receive an exclusive in-game item, the Infernal Helm, which grants an experience point boost to any character who wears it.

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said: "Playing Diablo III on a big screen with your friends brings a whole new level of intensity to the game, and with all of the control and interface adaptations we've made, it's extremely fun to play on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"In addition to the fine-tuning we've done for the console versions, we're also including major content and design updates we've made to the PC version over the past year."

Both console versions will be fully localised in English, German, French, Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, Russian, Italian, Polish, and Brazilian Portuguese.

Having launched on PC in May 2012, Diablo 3 sales topped 12 million copies worldwide as of December 31, 2012.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/411273/diablo-3-release-date-september-3-on-ps3-and-xbox-360/

Blizzard has announced a Diablo 3 release date of September 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game was revealed for PS3 and PS4 in February, but wasn't confirmed for Microsoft's console until today. According to the official blurb:

The console versions of Diablo III have been custom-tailored for gamepad-driven action, with a dynamic camera perspective that puts your hero front and center, as well as an all-new user interface and an intuitive control system that make vanquishing evil feel like second nature.

Players can take on the vile denizens of the Burning Hells alone or in a party of up to four via same-screen local cooperative play or online over PlayStation Network or the Xbox Live online entertainment network from Microsoft. In addition, the game supports parties composed of both local and online players.

Select retailers are now taking pre-orders for the console versions of the game, which will be available at a suggested retail price of $59.99.

Customers who pre-order will receive an exclusive in-game item, the Infernal Helm, which grants an experience point boost to any character who wears it.

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said: "Playing Diablo III on a big screen with your friends brings a whole new level of intensity to the game, and with all of the control and interface adaptations we've made, it's extremely fun to play on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"In addition to the fine-tuning we've done for the console versions, we're also including major content and design updates we've made to the PC version over the past year."

Both console versions will be fully localised in English, German, French, Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, Russian, Italian, Polish, and Brazilian Portuguese.

Having launched on PC in May 2012, Diablo 3 sales topped 12 million copies worldwide as of December 31, 2012.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/411273/diablo-3-release-date-september-3-on-ps3-and-xbox-360/

If it's getting a Xbox 360 release then here's hoping E3 reveals a Xbox One release too.

• 2 months later...
Blizzard has announced Reaper of Souls, the first expansion for Diablo 3, at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany.

Reaper of Souls introduces a new hero class, the Crusader melee fighter, as well as a new campaign act that pits you against the Angel of Death in the new setting of Westmarch.

The level cap is raised to 70, the game's loot drops have been rebalanced, and the endgame has been extensively revised, with the addition of randomised "Loot Run" dungeons.

There's no release date yet, and no official word on whether we can expect this expansion for the soon-to-be-released console game as well as the PC and Mac version of Diablo 3.

Blizzard did not discuss the PC game's controversial auction house and always-online requirement

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-21-diablo-3s-first-expansion-is-reaper-of-souls

More details in link.