passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Computer Questions Thread

DANGERMAN

More of a rant than a question. But my monitor suddenly stopped working with my PC. It works with the Switch, so it must be a PC issue. It’s just giving “no signal”. I’ve plugged it in and out 50 times and the input source is set to HDMI. I’m gonna call a PC repair company in the morning.

So I guess this could go in any of the computer or TV threads - but DF just had a topic on monitors and it looks like there’s a 4K ultra wide monitor coming out. Except it’s LCD. I really want OLED. So not for me, especially as being this year’s monitor it’ll probably be too expensive as well.

While talking though they turned around and said the LG C2 is the best monitor they’ve ever used lol. I already have a 65” one as my actual TV. Do I buy a 42”/48” one and have it on the other side of the room for the PC lol? Am I that stupid? 

don’t

But I do need an OLED for PC gaming. Every time I got an OLED it improved my gaming enjoyment dramatically. 

My first one was for the PS4 and played Horizon 1 on it and was blown away. I think we can all agree the start of the PS4 gen was very slow and underwhelming but the improvement in display alone was like a generational leap on its own and made me enjoy the games so much more

Then there was the Switch which, I’m a Nintendo fan boy, but even for me the Switch was a C- console. I really struggled to like it. Then they put out the OLED (and like, 2 years of consistently great games to go with it) and again my enjoyment of it went through the roof. Metroid Dread on the OLED Switch is a dream. Ever since getting the OLED, Switch went from C- to A+ console (again non-stop quality games helped) but a lot of it is on the display

So I already like PC gaming so if I get an OLED monitor I imagine I’ll go 3 for 3 and I‘ll end up loving it even more. 

Even though it seems obvious, I’ve really come to believe that you can’t under estimate what a quality display can do for games. Everything is important, but performance is only one thing but presentation is it’s equal. So now I got a super cool PC with shit hot performance it seems a waste that it goes on a - nice but kind of ordinary monitor.

So maybe I buy a second LG if I can find a sale. I understand it’s not suitable from WFH but I don’t really do that much and will still have the old monitor for that anyway

Like I said, Avatar is currently the top tier graphics showcase title now, above things like Cyberpunk imo. So you should just redeem that and get a long cable and test it out on that other tv first imo. Then it's a more informed decision either way

I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. I was thinking of plugging the PC in to the TV for a night to try stuff out on it. Now I really want to after DF said the LG is the best monitor they've had 

After spending 3 hours getting it to run right and the another four thinking about why it's only running at 119fps instead of 120 you might get to enjoy it for a bit.😃

😟

Been in touch with the company and they asked for the event log. Looks like a GPU driver is having issues? But don't understand it myself. Wait until they get back tomorrow. 

image.png

Dunno 

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

just ran '4090 problems' through google translate and it came back with 'I have too much money'

If you having frametime problems I feel bad for you son, I got 4090 problems but a framespike aint one

Except in Resident Evil 4...

Yeah my event viewer is full of stuff. Specifically this annoying HDMI handshake issue when you have two monitors plugged into it at the same time, setDisplayAPI() couldn't enumerate or something like that.

That said, when I googled those event viewer errors in maf's screenshot it was all stuff about crashing video drivers, and found an overclockers forum thread about people needing to RMA their 4090s. 

On 09/01/2024 at 04:02, Sly Reflex said:

Plug the monitor into the motherboard and see if it works? Might be a dead GPU?

All the large companies that came up insisted that I bring the computer in to their store - fuck that. I eventually found a small company who did call out repairs. Called them yesterday afternoon and they agreed to call out at 10am this morning.

10am on the dot up rocks a 70 year old Japanese man in a suit who spoke excellent English and seemed to know everything about computers. He took out the graphics card and replaced it with one he brought (which worked), so he was pretty sure the problem was with my card. I was resigning myself to the prospect of buying a new graphics card but amazingly, when he put mine back in, it worked. He said it was 80% likely a Contact Point problem (the card had come loose somehow or something) or 10-20% chance the card had “deset” itself when disconnected from the PC, or both.

Anyway, really nice guy, and the best outcome I could have hoped for!

A subcomment in this reddit thread is why i don't recommend QDOLED monitors right now. One nutter here replaces his Dell monitor every 6 months, that amount of e waste is incredible. Shocking that something that brittle has such good reviews, but they don't review for longevity I suppose

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/198co7z/anyone_use_oled_monitors_for_work_how_had_the/

• 2 weeks later...

Hooked my PC back up to my monitor last night and 😞

Games look wack again without OLED

Also the company I bought my PC from said I could RMA my PC so they could try solve the bad performance issue. So now I got to buy a box and some kind of packing to keep the inside stable

Least I won’t have to look at this IPS monitor and all it’s wackness 😞