passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Galaxy 2

retroed

The lack of goings on in this thread make me sad. :(

Sorry to make you sad but it's just that I have nothing else to say about it, I think it's brill and that's it.

I've got 41 stars, it's just starting to become troublesome for me, and I've tried some of the comet stars and they are bastards. Well, it's the speed runs mostly, they're not hard but under pressure I always make stupid mistakes.

Also, what is the deal with the life system? If you save, turn off the console and come back to it you start with 5 lives, no matter how many you have when you save, but it works the other way, too. if I turn it off with 2 lives I'll have 5, so what's the point?

But it doesn't matter, even though lives don't mean anything I still go out of my way to collect extra ones, to get one I even wasted 5 lives to get it! I just had to get that pick up!

been playing some more today, just done some of the commet ones, my god the 3rd one nearly drove me insane, i was getting better at it, all was good, thought i'd do it after a few more tries but then for some reason my normal shake technique stopped working so i kept falling to my doom (it was one where you spin to flip the platforms), really odd as i don't usually have any problems wih the shake controlls, especially in a nintendo game, had to change technique, about 20 lives later i did it but i'm not sure i'll be attempting too many more of thoes commet ones, my platforming skillz are quite poor. still the feeling of achievement after doing it was good and still really enjoying the game :)

I expect I’ll struggle like feck from now on.

And world 6 is an absolute cunt. Ive used like 30 lives in about 4 levels. Still, 81 stars, 31 Comet coins and a whole lot of pain.

then for some reason my normal shake technique stopped working

This has happened to me, but only in certain levels. Odd.

Ive just finished it and over all it was brilliant. A few niggles, like Yoshi not always grabbing on to things even tho they were highlighted and Mario has to run through a block of butter before he moves a foot forwards but they fade under the shadow of the games awesomeness. The game tells me it took 15:58.43 untill Bowser was buried face down.

The last world wasnt so bad actually, the first couple of planets were absolute cunts but it seemed to ease off after that. Even the last level and the inevitable Bwser fight wasn't too bad. I died a few times on the way to Bowser but the persistant one didnt kill me once (in any meetings come to think of it).

97 stars. Onwards...

• 6 months later...

I've put a fair amount of time into this now, and I'm not quite feeling it the way I thought I would. illdog's right the control isn't quite there. It's fine when you're just trundling through a level, but when you need to react quickly, turn and swing the controls, all against a swinging camera, it just doesn't work as well as it should do.

I dont mind the challenge though, and there's some great ideas. Possibly part of the problem is that this doesn't start as breezy as the first one, you need to be on your game from the off, even if it does hand you extra lives

I dont know how many people will have played it, but there's a level in the 6th galaxy that involves the rock mushroom. You have to act like a bowling ball and head off some ramps, first there's some spikes blocking the way, but then it's all about steering around corners. Eventually you hit a rubber band that fires you backwards, ideally towards another rubber band that fires you forward, then into a ring of rubber bands where the star is housed. Annoyingly though it drops in, and it turns out it's possible to bounce out of the ring

I did it though. Fucking prick plumber

I dont know how many people will have played it, but there's a level in the 6th galaxy that involves the rock mushroom. You have to act like a bowling ball and head off some ramps, first there's some spikes blocking the way, but then it's all about steering around corners. Eventually you hit a rubber band that fires you backwards, ideally towards another rubber band that fires you forward, then into a ring of rubber bands where the star is housed. Annoyingly though it drops in, and it turns out it's possible to bounce out of the ring

I did it though. Fucking prick plumber

Yea, that level sucked a stadium full of balls.

• 2 years later...

I went back to this today - just shows to me that Nintendo have been ahead of the curve for ages - this is still an incredible game. Good thing is, I only have 50 stars so have lots more to explore! Not sure why I moved on from it in the past but I'm right back into it now, who needs next-gen when you have level design like this eh?! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got past galaxy 5, I forgot how cool it is when a whole load of new and imaginative levels open up. Grinning from ear to ear playing this. Although I did just manage to get down to only one life remaining!

I love how tricky some of it is, there's a level where you have to get 1000 points in a time limit - fail and you lose a life. Not free restart, just dead :)

• 10 years later...

Just bumping this as I started it properly last night for the first time. I've completed Galaxy twice in the past but never the sequel, but it always seems to rank highly both in 3d Mario games (my favourite type of Mario game) and general games lists as well, but I think this may have set my expectations a little too high.

It is a very well-designed game, incredibly innovative, but also it takes no prisoners in terms of challenge. Normally that's fine but so far with this the levels are challenging, but I'm fighting the controls as well, which has tipped it over from fun to frustration for me. I'll still be sticking it back on again this evening mind

1 hour ago, Jimboxy said:

I just had to turn it off before I launched the wiimote at the TV screen in frustration. It's going well

I do you a deal you fix my PC without kicking it and I'll complete the level for you. I'm shit with PC's but you should see me with a Wiimote Ka-pow!