passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

• 4 months later...

Nextlander have a new podcast where they say they are going to rotate in Dan, Austin, Abby and Jeff B as they become available. Kinda a new beastcast I guess. Costs 9 euro tho

I've really failed to connect with any of the NXL stuff so this is a cool thing. Mostly tho NXL seems to just play whatever their discord tells them to which doesn't always result in great stuff.

Yea I’ve been really disappointed in NXL. They supposedly left to do something different but they’ve just been doing the same thing (& playing the same old games time and again) since while GB has diversified quite a bit. 

Vinny was always my favourite too but he really needs someone energetic and a bit “out there” to bounce off to be his best. Like Jan, Dan or Abbie. I find Brad way to straight laced for him & Alex I’m just not personally that keen on. Don’t know how to put it without sounding a bit cunty but it feels like they hold him back a bit. 

Like the sound of that new podcast but not willing to pay that much for it. 

Well they announced another podcast now where they are going to talk about TV shows, starting with Star Trek: The Original Series. Which is right in my wheelhouse right now after finishing the first 2 (awful) seasons of TNG. Maybe I'll watch it alongside them, TOS is a bit rough to get into. Feels like watching Scooby Doo or something.

I actually like Alex, I guess I just feel a connection with the dude's outlook or something lol. But he needs a polar opposite personality type to bounce off of to really make discussions work. Brad is kind of a non entity though

wasn't the reason they left the opposite of doing something different. They didn't like the direction GB was going in, they wanted to be on camera playing more, GB (as we've seen) was moving away from that and essentially replacing them with guests

fwiw I mostly like Nextlander, but I don't think they've got the balance of what they play right. We've had weeks of Mass Effect, they played that vehicle building game over and over. If you aren't feeling those then you've not got a reason to watch much of their stuff (although the VHS clip show they did last week was hilarious).

I also think they need to be streaming every day in some form, maybe they need a 4th person before that's viable, although Vinny has streamed every day this week and it's just been FFXIV on his own, not that interesting imo 

I think an issue is they mostly use their discord a lot to field requests for content, which leads to some pretty bad ideas like Vinny attempting to get into a game which has a mandatory investment of 100 hours before it even threatens to become mildly interesting

Given the year that's in it for game releases I think it would be good to see them go back and fish for some old classics that someone on the team hasn't played. Something that doesn't take 60-600 hours to complete.

Damn. GB is really over. I mean it’s been over for a long time, but to me GB was the podcast. 4 dudes talking video games and a lot of stupid shit in to a mic. Low brow but insightful. 

It hasn’t been what I liked for a long time and the videos and stuff they do now is unrecognisable. So GB has been done for a long time I suppose, but this the nail in the coffin for real

The statement on Giant Bomb is so corporate, doesn't say who wrote it. No final words by Jeff, the site's co creator. Nextlander have just had their one year anniversary, which makes me wonder if Jeff had to stay at Giant Bomb for 12 months after they left. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

There's a countdown on Giant Bomb's twitch channel, 16 hours to go. Maybe that's when the bomb goes off.

Genuinely gutted about this, just as I was when Vinny left. Going to kiss Jeff talking shit on the Bombcast. Has some great stories to tell along with Jan and I like his more cynical and jaded views. Plus he’s the only one who calls out the BS which are Majoras Mask and Yoshis World. 

there was over 16k people watching him at one point on his stream, he's going to do really well I think, although that number has dropped pretty quick now there's no gossip and it's just a 1-man podcast.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother much, but he was talking about how he'd like to eventually make this more than just him, it did sound more like a traditional site (even if it's through Twitch and Patreon) than Nextlander, which I do think could be a plus. Nextlander can feel a bit vague at times