passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

Holy shit! Tam, Lucy and Grubb joining GB and Dan returning?! Fucking awesome! Love all of them.

The whole situation I’ve read around Jeff G is very strange though. He’s the main reason for GB existing and the longest serving and he isn’t getting a proper good bye or send off? That’s fucked up. Can’t be under good terms surely? But then I’d be surprised by Tam etc. joining if they were that bad to him. Weird. 

The recent GB content has been excellent! If Jeff going is what it took for the “new” staff and renewed energy then I hate to say it but it’s for the best. Hope it continues. 

Loved the Tekken endings video. Used to watch those loads with a mate back in the day, were always good for a laugh. 

Ye, it's a lot better. The past 2 years has been like watching a bunch of strangers talk to each other on a zoom call.

Apparently they will be doing in person stuff as well, I would guess though on a seasonal basis and not that often as very few of them live in SF anymore

• 2 months later...

Unusual material from GB here, with a clickbaity title. But it's actually a really well informed talk about how visually 'busy' some games are, their (subjective) detriment to some players and how games can look good without filling the screen with tons of highly contrasted pixels everywhere (or in some cases visually similar stuff that hides necessary detail)

(it is NOT a hatefest on horizon, that's just the clickbait thumbnail to get people angry on twitter. It's about colour theory, art and how we visually parse things and UI design)

I skimmed through it and most if not all the shots I saw that she’s using is from the first area of the game (which is what I was saying when the game came out and people were making fun of me, you can’t see anything). However when you leave that part there’s much fewer areas of the game that are that densely packed and it gets much better.

But it’s what I was saying the first part is too much. If it weren’t for flashing icons that light up as I walked past stuff I don’t know how I would tell apart resources from decoration in the game. 

34 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

waste of time Last of Us Quick Look

I thought that was brilliant. & the absolute opposite of a waste of time. Every other site out there is fawning over it and given plenty of time to the new accessible features so there’s no need for another to do the same. It was genuinely funny. Joe public isn’t on GB. It’s people like us and we’re already aware of all that stuff.

& Horizon, I completely understand where VB and Maf are coming from. When a game gets that visually busy it’s not longer a “good” looking game. I don’t like how clickbaity it is though. 

What VB is saying is something I've felt with other games not as visually intense as Horizon. I think a lot of devs overdo it now cause of HDR tvs.

It's gotten to a point of backlash for me personally where I think I just prefer rubbish looking brown games now or something. Until at least 202X games kind of relax a bit with the visual clutter

Death Stranding and RDRII are good examples of great looking games where this issue doesn't really exist

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

I thought that was brilliant. & the absolute opposite of a waste of time. Every other site out there is fawning over it and given plenty of time to the new accessible features so there’s no need for another to do the same. It was genuinely funny. Joe public isn’t on GB. It’s people like us and we’re already aware of all that stuff.

& Horizon, I completely understand where VB and Maf are coming from. When a game gets that visually busy it’s not longer a “good” looking game. I don’t like how clickbaity it is though. 

I actually wanted to see it be played though, see it running rather than just comparisons, side by sides, or pixel counting. Putting that out seemed a bit contemptible of the audience and people's valid concerns of whether the game is worth it to them or not.

I'm sure it wasn't meant like that obviously, just as I'm sure most of their audience thought it was funny, but I'm not their audience any more I suppose, which is fine, not everything has to be for you innit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man that’s fucked up. Being fired from the site you built up before having chance to leave properly. 

As for GB, I’ve been loving their recent content. It’s honestly been better since he left. However looking at video comment numbers & general discourse it does feel like Jeff going is the end of it in the not too distant future. I really hope not though. The current crew and features have been excellent IMO. 

I saw Giant Bomb streaming Arkham at the same time as Nextlander, and Nextlander had probably twice the audience, prior to Jeff going that wouldn't have been the case.

Hopefully they generate enough to keep going, I don't watch them much but there are some decent people there

He got into it here. He doesn't go into specifics on particular decisions or whatever but that he'll be angry about it for a very long time

The issue with these sites was expounded on by Dave Schneider recently (who was one of the lead engineers at GB and gamespot back in the day), there's this thread on hackernews where he goes on about the challenge of monetizing sites like these while maintaining their independence. The business of internet media companies is to sell adverts at the end of the day, the modern internet sucks basically

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33066626

The business of this kind of games media is in freefall I think, Jeff going independent was the best decision he made (even if imo I'm not really into the whole solo podcast thing). The Nextlander guys also saw the writing on the wall.