passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Re-playing Games

Sambob

I was just thinking about fallout 3 and how much I enjoyed it, but actually wouldnt play it again. Im the kind of gamer that usually finds it quite hard to play through a game again, I just cant get the enthusiasm up for it.

Games like COD 4 and 5 ive gone through several times, i actually enjoyed the challenge on certain parts of COD 4 with it being maxed out toughness, but other than that I cant name very many games that ive replayed.

Im not a huge achievement whore so dont see that appeal of going through a game for that reason. What do other people think about replayability in games, is it just something that you either like or dont like as a gamer?

Yeah I'm the same. I've started a couple of big games for a second time but not got too far before I thought, "why bother?".

Something like Gears or CoD is fine but a Zelda or something is too big for a second run.

I tried Bioshock for a second time but stopped for the same reasons.

Other games like Castle Crashers, Eternal Darkness, Dead Space....I've gone through a few times. I lost count how many times I blitzed through Castle Crashers. I've got a hankering to go through again now.

I think that some games are just too big and daunting for me to go through a second time. I can't see me going through Paper Mario or GTA IV again.

I agree, the prospect of going through a long game all over again a second time is enough to put me off replaying it. Unless it's a significant length of time later, or there's enough of an alternate route through it make it fresh, or there's been a decent amount of new content.

I do re-play smaller games quite often, not necessarily all the way to completion, but just enough to get my fill of whatever it was I liked about them. Of course, then there are lots of older games that are all about the gameplay mechanic that can be played ad infinitum.

I'm still going through Wind Waker again and since it was like five years ago I last played it still seems new, there are bits I forgot about or missed. I think I'm seeing it with new eyes too since quite a bit of growing up has been done since.

But no, its not a game I could go through right away, I think you just really want to play it again, like I did.

I replay my games fairly often but I find it hard to go back and replay certain types of game. I think Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever made and first time round I was hooked from start to finish but playing it again it's just not the same. You know all the tricks to make the game easy, even on the hardest setting and you end up missing a lot because you aren't spending enough time exploring and messing around. Oblivion was similar but because the big missions were all at the guilds you didn't miss as much.

I can still replay long games though, it's the ones that are open I don't enjoy. I have played the Final Fantasy games several times each but because they are fairly linear you don't miss anything by being familiar with them.

Actually, I just thought of an exception - the first time through I padded Mass Effect out and did everything I possibly could and made it last for a long time. But I did do a second run through pretty much as soon as I finished it, though I ignored all the side quests and took me about 4 hours in a single sitting.

Though that was with carrying stats over, if it was a pure run through then I probably wouldn't have bothered.

i dont usually play many games again soon after the first time usually, with the exception of cod4 and a few others, but in the last year the quest for achievements has had me beating games 2 or 3 times in a row, sometimes more. I like that really, i feell motivated by achievements to truly annihilate a game and afterwards i feel more like i got my moneys worth and saw everything the game had to offer

I dont think i've replayed anything from this gen, I started Ratchet & Clank again but it wasn't anything like as interesting 2nd time around because I was purely trying to max out weapons. There's a few I can see myself going back to at some point though like No More Heroes, that's probably about it so far actually (I think I played RE4 twice on the wii, i certainly started it again).

Obviously I replay retro games a bit, Sonic, Metal Slug, that kind of thing. But in the past year i've also finished a play through of Shenmue and restarted Panzer Dragoon Saga, and would do more if not for the death of old faithful. I reckon they'll be a few on the ps2 I go back to at some point, although I thinl part of that is down to if the ps3 ever gets BC put back in

I'm also kind of replaying Disgaea at the minute, I got about halfway through on the ps2, and have started again on the DS. Not sure that counts, but whatever.

I think the only games of any relatively large scale that ive gone through several times are the pokèmon games, and im not really sure why, because they are the kind of games that you dont need to restart to get a fresh sense of enjoyment from.

This brings up another good point i guess, of how have games adapted to get us to continue putting the hours in. Games like Animal Crossing and the Pokemon games can just be continuosly be played without the need to do a restart to experience again the fun of the game. I guess the latest instalment of getting more out of games comes in the form of DLC and add ons, which to me are a great way of doing this apart from when you get expensive DLC that perhaps should have just been released with the disc.

hardly ever play lenghty games more than once, resi 4 (gc/wii), zelda links awakening, halo 1 and 3, mario 64(n64/ds) and gow 1/2 just for coop and that's about it. but there's lots of games i'd like to go back and play through again but having so many unplayed games and a lack of time pretty much puts a stop to it. shorter games i can play through loads if i like them, like rez.