passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Gaming Week thread

Hendo

I've been playing mostly Rock Band 3. It's really good, the pinical of these music games. That's sort of the problem though, where do they go from here aside for making the bands 5 piece instead of the current 4 piece (which I suspect has something to do with the 360 only having a 4 player cap). For what is essentially Simon set to a rhythm, it's quite compelling.

Tried playing BC2 for the new maps and my connection was having none of it. Fuck this snow and its internet crippling tendencies.

I've also been dabbling with Portal on PC. You know how smug PC gamers are with the 'We have the superior version of the game' shit? They are not wrong. The wankers. The resolutions are higher, the game runs smoother, it's easier to play because of the mouse accuracy, it even manages to sound better too. Some kind soul bought me the rest of The Orange Box on steam so I'm looking forward to these other games played the way they were intended to over the next few weeks.

I'm probably late but here's mine anyhow.

Same shit as last time, because of new maps I've been playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2, shooting dudes and blowing crates up in a different area. Deadly Premonition has also been started properly and is proving to be pretty much everything anyone has ever said about it, whether it be on the positive or negative side, they're all right.

I've also played a little Epic Mickey, I've not played enough to have any real thoughts on it but I see a little interesting potential but it's mostly PS2 era platforming.

Mostly it's been Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit which is excellent cos it's more fun than running around the playground playing cops and robbers, except with less arguments over who shot who first.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing an inordinate amount of Xbox Indie game The Tempura of the Dead this week, it has got it's hooks in me in a totally unexpected way.

From the Zero Wing-esque Engrish opening scene, to the wonderful 8 bit graphics and music, it's got so much style and appeal. I'm about 6 stages away from completing it now, and it's getting quite challenging, but not frustrating. I think I need to go back and repeat some of the levels to get enough cash to buy the last few upgrades to make things a bit easier. The levels are fairly short, so that shouldn't be a chore.

According to Raptr it's my most played game this week, not bad for 240 Microsoft space dollars.

I've also spent a few hours playing the HD remake of the first game in the Sly Racoon Collection (PS3). This high res upgrade looks great, helped partly by the cartoony art style of the original game. It plays really well too, although there are a few reminders here and there that it's an update of an 8 year old game - such has having a limited number of lives which aren't really necessary as when you lose them all you just restart the levels with those lives intact again.

The original game is one of those "games that got away" - an early PS2 title that was critically well received, but I never managed to get hold of. I'm glad to say that going on what I've played so far (the prologue and the first of 5 acts), that the praise it's had is well deserved.

I bought and completed the Costume Quest DLC 'Grubbins on Ice' on the 360. As another charming little slice of Costume Quest, I enjoyed it a lot. The ending left it open to come back for more sometime in the future, which isn't a totally unwelcome idea - I'd certainly play more Costume Quest - but if they were to do more than another couple DLC packs, then I might want them to consider adding a little more depth to the way you use costumes for quests or combat.

Finally, I had a couple of multiplayer sessions on Battlefield : Bad Company 2 (360). Including one of the more satisfying nights online playing this with Sly & Co, where we were up against a good set of opponents, who played the game properly and did it well. Many nemeses were made, multiple dogtags were earned, and many avenger kills were scored.

The final Rush match was particularly satisfying, where the opposition had pushed us all the way back to the final M-com station on defence, and we eventually won the match by taking their final life just before our last crate exploded. Exhilarating stuff.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to put any more time into Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (360) this week. Mostly because of my sudden addiction to The Tempura of the Dead. I hope to get back to it soon though.

I've also spent a few hours playing the HD remake of the first game in the Sly Racoon Collection (PS3). This high res upgrade looks great, helped partly by the cartoony art style of the original game. It plays really well too, although there are a few reminders here and there that it's an update of an 8 year old game - such has having a limited number of lives which aren't really necessary as when you lose them all you just restart the levels with those lives intact again.

The original game is one of those "games that got away" - an early PS2 title that was critically well received, but I never managed to get hold of. I'm glad to say that going on what I've played so far (the prologue and the first of 5 acts), that the praise it's had is well deserved.

I wouldn't mind getting this collection at some point, I've not played them before. It's good to hear you're enjoying it. :)

This week, I've only had two games on the go.

First off, I bought Game Dev Story for my Android phone. 400 Yen bought me the most addictive phone game I've ever played. You play the part of a video game developer in an increasingly competitive market. As you progress, you can level up your staff to make them better at making games, but this has the knock on effect of you having to pay them more. You develop games for various consoles, and the pc, and can take side jobs to earn more cash. As you play, various game consoles get released, and you have to buy licenses to make games for them. The consoles are loosely based on real world consoles, like the Intendro Entertainment System, or IES. For a phone game, it's really bloody good.

And also I've been playing Call of Duty - Black Ops. My first console Call of Duty, and it's really bloody good. At the time of writing this, I've only been playing the single player campaign, and have yet to take it online, but I'm having loads of fun. My only problem is the good old Mouse and Keyboard versus Gamepad debate. I'm getting used to the gamepad for a shooter, but it might take some time. I'll probably get my ass handed to me when I go online.

Mostly the same as I was playing last week.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS3)

The first game in the HD-ified Sly Racoon collection. I'm about half way through this now, and still enjoying it a lot. It looks great, and hardly feels dated at all, except maybe in some of the sections where it tries to vary the gameplay away from the standard platforming where the controls aren't quite as good (but never feels broken). There's also a boss fight that is a rhythm action battle. A great idea, and well pulled off, but it has 8 year old checkpointing.

I'm off sick today, so I'll probably be wrapping up warm and firing this up during the day into this to keep myself amused.

Need for Speed : Most Wanted (360)

I should be much further through this by now, but I can't seem to stop going back and repeatedly challenging times from my friends on courses I've already done.

I also had a great multiplayer session, and although I'm usually put off by driving and powerup style gaming (Blur, Mario Kart, etc.) I really enjoyed this. I think it might be the difference that spitting the players into racers and police makes.

The TEMPURA of the DEAD (XBLIG)

The president and the samurai teamed up for a little more Zombie head juggling this week, this game is great fun. The quality of some of the stuff on the 360 indie marketplace still amazes me.

Bad Company 2. You already know that though.

Pinball FX2 has been taken back out the box. The old tables are sort of broken in some instances, but the new stuff is great. Looking forward to getting the Marvel stuff and kicking Rob off the top spot.

Team Fortress 2. OMFG the difference between PC and console versions is canyon sized.

Also been playing a lot of games on the MSN messenger. Some are really good, while others are really poor. I like how you have the similar leaderboard style of other platforms from your contacts list, I think that's the main draw to these games.

Had a bit of an indie explosion with the Winter Uprising games still coming out.

Epic Dungeon is still a great game that shows a real love for old dungeon crawlers but without being stuffy or impenetrable for people like me - it's far more action based.

I tried getting back into Breath of Death VII : The Beginning to try and finish it before the next game by the same dev comes out but the random battles are driving me insane. I just can't make it to the next save without being attacked and killed.

RadianGames Crossfire 2 came out and it's a much better game than the original. It takes Space Invaders as a starting point and then just runs with it. The main mechanic is the ability to jump from the bottom of the screen to the top. It's a brilliantly made and polished game, I hope the guy can continue to make more of them.

Cave Story finally made it to Europe and I made my way through that. It's a bizarre little Metroidvania kind of game and it's mostly brilliant. I would've preferred the save points to be positioned after you have a load of dialogue or pushing loads of switches but that's the only real sour point.

Not exactly indie, but I got Infinity Blade on the iPhone and it's not only the most technically impressive game on the App Store but it is actually a great game that is really well-suited to the actual platform. "Punch-Out meets Demon Souls" is the usual description and it pretty much fits. Go from fight to fight, level up yourself and your equipment.....and that's pretty much it. The actual game is pretty short, you'll see the boss within 30 minutes probably, but it's built for replaying and I have done - I've done absolutely everything there is to do now until they put an update out.

Well recommended if you can run the battery destroyer.

Oh, also trudging through Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic but it's hard to muster the enthusiasm to play it.

Earlier in the week I played, thoroughly enjoyed and finished Cave Story. It's one of my favourites this year, it has pretty much everything I want from a game. Other than that just bits of Rock Band 3 and other miscellaneous games.

I now have a smart phone so I've been seeing what the fuss about Game Dev Story is today, before I knew it I'd pumped in about three hours without turning it off. I just wanted to see what happened next and where you can go from my breakthrough hit, an animal based puzzle game called Puzzle Puzzle. But I might be in trouble, it's the SNES era and I can't afford to develop for it. :( Will we ever see Last Robot 4?

• 3 weeks later...

Sly 2 : Band of Thieves (PS3)

I enjoyed the HD remake of the first one before Christmas, and this sequel is every bit as good. In fact it feels improved in many areas.

The levels feel like there's more going on in them. Each one is set up as Sly and the gang preparing a heist, with each member of the gang required to perform tasks before the big event. It works great.

The TEMPURA of the DEAD (XBLIG)

Still having a great time with this. This week, I got past the 3rd boss that had been giving me trouble, and a couple of levels towards the final one. I need a couple of thousand more "Lefts" to buy the final upgrade, so I guess I'm going to have to do a little grinding".

VVVVVV (PC)

I bought this for £1.99 on Steam on the off chance. It's really enjoyable so far, challenging but so far not frustrating. My death count is edging towards 700 in an hour and a half of play.

I love the 8 bit style graphics and the music is just amazing.

Game Dev Story (Android)

I saw it was discounted to £1.64 on the marketplace the other day, so decided to give it a go. Fuck me it's addictive, and so much fun. I only stopped last night because I was falling asleep with the phone in my hand.

It's very reminiscent of the old Bullfrog "Theme" games on the PC, and full of charm.

Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)

My semi regular L4D2 Saturday night versus session with the Gamerdork form peoples. We got a couple of games of scavenge in tonight, which I really enjoy and don't get to play as often as I'd like.

A light week from me.

Trails 2nd Edition on steam has seriously been breaking my balls. I like it, but I don't like it. Physics have taken a great leap this generation, but I still don't think putting games based on those physics as a factor to been good at them really works. For instance, there was one level where you had to use a ramp to get onto a box that was high up. Without altering the posture of the rider, I just floored the accelerator. Sometimes I would hit the box. Sometimes I would get the front wheel on the box. Sometimes the front wheel would hit and the bike would scramble up. On the odd occasion the bike would completely clear the box. All from putting the gas to the max. I'm not a fan of this unpredictability, it never happened in the platforming games of old. However, the unpredictability can make for some tense moments, and I've had some fun trying to do certain manoeuvres without killing my rider.

I started World of Warcraft. After initially being disappointed with it, it's taken a hell of a turn for the better. I think last time I posted about WoW I was complaining that there wasn't much going on and it was a bit boring. I can totally see why they start the game like that now, because if you get thrown into a game where everything is open to you, you would be instantly overwhelmed. It strikes the perfect balance between hand holding and leaving you to get on with it. If you do have hassle working something out, which is bloody rare, asking on the chat channel normally brings the Samaritan out in someone and they help you. Instances can bring the bad points out in people whether it be acting selfishly, not chipping in or just generally been shit. I've seen this sort of behaviour in every game I play online, and WoW isn't no different from those in that respect. The game itself is amazingly well written, in fact it's one of the few that can carry out sarcasm, irony, satire and dada all topped off with a hefty dose of slapstick without failing. Everything that's meant to make you crack a smile, cringe at the purposely terrible pun or belly laugh at the jokes works. I have not met any grinderific missions yet, there has been quite a lot of collect this and that under these circumstances, but it doesn't feel played out, despite you seemingly doing it in every new area you visit. Which leads me onto the addiction thing. I seriously have no idea how people get addicted to it. It's a good game, granted, but there is no way you would want to spend any more time on this game than you would if you were playing another game. I've put longer session into Gears 2, Battlefield, Left 4 Dead, Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect and lots of other games than I have with this. I seem to just get up to a certain point where my mind turns off and I can't consume any more WoW. My tolerance to it seems to be about 5 hours maximum, although I often find my self struggling after 2 hours when it gets switched off.

Gish. It's lovely. Weird, but lovely.

I've been trying to chip away at Assassins Creed II, after finding the start excellent I'm finding it a bit of a drag. I don't understand the none historical bits. Why are they there? Why are they shit? Why is that token English guy Danny Wallace? Why is Danny Wallace even in a game? Who are these people? Why does Desmond look like a grown up version of a kid I went to school with? Why am I asking all these questions? Why? The future parts are totally needless. Now let me get back to dragging archers off rooftops to their deaths instead of making me look at pricks.

Oh, and Left 4 Dead 2 on steam with the guys from Gamerdork. It was amusing that one guys pong was over 1000. I guess that's why we got fucked all night. :facepalm:

My gaming week, actually involved gaming for a change!!

I started off the new year saying i would clear some backlog, i strayed on new years day and got Lara Croft: GOL, a week later job done all complete. I normally get bored of LC games and there is only so much looking at her bum as she runs around. But this spin off game was great, just long enough for me to play and enjoy not too tricky that i only got stuck once, graphically looked nice and lush. I can safely say a game ive enjoyed.

My second game and tbh only a couple of hours in is Other M, i avoided this on release as i have the other 3 Metroids from the cube and wii and i didn't start let alone put any time in, so i thought would pass on the wii game. But thanks to RetroEd spotted it in the bargain section, ordered and now started to play, graphically it surpassed anything ive seen on the wii so far, its fun and easy to pick up shooter, going to give it more time this week!

I've not been playing a lot. I've been trying to B rank my Rose on Super Street Fighter IV lately, I'm nearly there I think I need 5000 battle points and I have about 4700, my win rate is decent enough to hit that target. Also I've been playing a bit of Blur again after playing NFS too much I felt like a change, but to still race. The handling is really different and going from one to the other made for some embarrassing races but things are good now.

I've been dabbling in my Steam collection a little; I've played bits of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl which is really hard but I'm quite liking it, after I'm done with Torchlight (which is simple dungeon crawling fun at the moment) I'll give it proper attention.

Finally, I've been playing Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom which is good so far, I've just beat the first general. I don't really have a lot to say about it at the moment.