passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Flower - PSN

DANGERMAN

What an awesome little game :o

I didn't know much about the game prior to playing it, i assume most dont so appolosies if I'm telling you stuff you do already know. You start off as a single leaf from a lone flower (you either control this leaf or the wind depending on your viewpoint i guess), from there you collect more and more, opening up more flowers, and so more of the route in the process. You'll get some bits where the land is barren and you need to connect with the flowers to sprout more to cause it to bloom, kind of like Okami. You can control the pace with X, so you could play it as a NiGHTS style time attack if you wanted, direction is controlled by tilting which is actually pretty accurate.

The game looks amazing, easily one of the best looking games i've ever played (in terms of aesthetic if nothing else), there's a grimey filter on the city scene, then all kinds of light pastals, reds and greens in the level proper. The music is going to end up on a podcast at some point, which is the other thing to mention, it's like Rez in that what you do contributes to the music.

The only criticism i have so far is that when you've got a lot of leaves built up it's impossible to find your target leaf if you stop and turn around, it can also be hard to line stuff up if it's down hill.

As an aside, I've got the game on its front page while i type this, and I can hear the bustle of the city through my speakers, I think i heard someone moving about, and i heard some sort of alarm go off

oh man that alarm had me well confused.

just completed this (i think anyway, there might be another level to unlock?) took about 1.5 hours and it was a bit hit and miss for me, when you're going fast collecting stuff it's like the bonus stages on the old sonic games where you run into a tube and i really liked thoes bit's (the best examples happen in level 3 and parts of level 5 and i can definitely see me going back to play these again) but when it's more slow paced and you keep having to go back and look around for stuff i just thought it was a bit boring, and even annoying when you have to go really slow to aviod touching stuff. like ben says it does look really nice (and mentioning rez, some of the sound effects sound like they could have been ripped straight from it), it's very basic as to what's on screen but what is there just looks really good. it seems like there may be scoring for the levels - based on how many petals you get? glad i got it as it's something a bit different.

The petels are hidden leaves, as i understand it there are 3 per stage and if you get all of them your flower will bloom. Basically if you give a shit that ensures a second play through.

The 3rd level annoyed me a bit, it forced my hand when i wanted to go back and finish a section, but it circled me round again so it wasnt too bad. The final area on that bit, with the sunset, is incredible, absolutely beautiful. I need to work out if speed affects your effect on plants, so you can afford to be less accurate because you produce more wind?

This is the perfect game to unwind to before bed. I was playing Left 4 Dead quite late last night, and the adrenalin was pumping, shooting zombies left right and centre, expletives being the main use of my vocabulary. I needed to ease things down a bit before heading to dreamland, so I put Flower on and did another level. Bliss. A beautiful looking game, and the controls are sublime. I don't care if it's short, I'll be going back through it when I'm finished, for certain.

Downloaded it today and have now entered the world of Flower and wow! What a world. This beautiful game is a wonder to behold, it is the perfect antidote to a hard days gaming and a way to relax the mind its definitely a great way to unwind. Its looks stunning and the soundtrack fits perfectly in this world, the controls work wonderfully with the motion sensor and feels very natural. Its very simple and short but it seems already that it will have you going back time after time, the game itself is simple bringing colour to a grey world! So if you have a ps3 get on down to the playstation store and download it at a reasonable price you can't go wrong! Enjoy!

Just completed it, and it is fantastic, all apart fromt he penultimate level which is too opressive for its own good. The last level is fantastic, that and the penultimate level are probably the most 'gamey', one works and one doesnt. The music is awesome, might have to see if I can track it down but hopefully it'll get put up on psn.

I know i bitch about them but the trophies/achievements on this help give you a reason to go back through again, that and the green petels (I've got 2 on everything, no idea where the 3rd ones are). I've done a few of the levels a second time, even before finishing the game, purely because i really enjoyed them and wanted to see them again. It's not a massive game obviously, but there are reasons to go back to it (I missed loads of stuff on the city)

I bought this on my mate's PS3 yesterday as I knew he would be too cheap to pony up the 6 quid.

One of the most beautiful games I've played, though him and his girlfriend did question my sexuality for playing it.

You can't win - you play Killzone 2 and you look like a 14 year old boy getting a boner for killing things, you play Flower and you look teh gay.

For what it's worth I thought it was a brilliant game, though I must be a thicko as I can't see the "narrative" running through it that various people have mentioned on 1up (or 1up related) podcasts. The only message I got was "nature is pretty".

• 6 months later...

I'm a little late with this one. I downloaded it on a whim and I have to say I'm pretty blown away by it. Everytime people talk about it they say how beautiful it is but even knowing all the praise it gets I still wasn't prepared for how lovely I found it. I think one of the reasons it took me so long to get it was the idea of controling it entirely with the sixaxis but thankfully it works brilliantly and I wouldn't want to control it any other way.

I'm not sure abut the narrative either,

the only thing I can piece together was at the end, the world you play in looks to be on the inside of the room you start in, I guess it could be to do with the person that lives in the flat...

I'm not sure what exactly but maybe I can make more sense of it on another play through which I will be doing because the Trophy list does point to a hidden level.

• 2 months later...

Obviously im a bit late to the PS3 party but i bought Flower having read something about ThatGameCompany in a mag, very pleased to hear a lot of my thoughts echoed in this thread. This game is stunning, the graphics and all round presentation, the music and sounds, the controls - i love it.

I think in Bens first post he mentions Okami, that was my initial thought wen the first set of flowers burst life into the field around it, and i also didnt like the penultimate level - its too bleak for the rest of the game and the path wasnt all that clear. Plus, also like Ben says, if you stop to try and find your target you get surrounded by lovely little petals and you cant really see whats going on.

Any downside is far outweighed by whats good abot Flower, which is everything else. My alltime favorite download game so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

played through this on the PS4 today, it still looks lovely, but either because of a change in standards or the higher fidelity, the textures look rough. When you're flying about though it looks amazing. It still mostly controls well too, it's easy to miss things, but considering how you're controlling it it does work, which I was slightly surprised by

tbh I expected to go back and feel completely differently from when I first played it, 5 long years ago, but no, word for word I think this thread still applies. It's a better experience when it's not being a game, the penultimate level for example is the worst level. And I still can't work out how to get all the green petals, maybe in another 5 years

I played this through again last month and yea, I fell in love with it all over again. Its just an amazing assault on the senses, everytime i finished a session I had convinced myself that every other game was shit because it wasn't Flower. Oh, and i found all the green petals.