passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

• 4 weeks later...
In July, Pink Floyd announced The Endless River, their first new album in 20 years. Now,they've detailed the album, sharing information about its lineup, release date, cover art (which you can see above), and more.

The Endless River will be released on November 10 via Columbia. Pink Floyd members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright appear on the album. (Notably, band co-founder Roger Waters does not.) Wright's contributions were taken from existing recordings, as the keyboardist passed away in 2008.

Gilmour shared the following statement about the album:

The Endless River

has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993
Division Bell
sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire.

Mason added:

The Endless River

is a tribute to Rick. I think this record is a good way of recognizing a lot of what he does and how his playing was at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. Listening back to the sessions, it really brought home to me what a special player he was.

The record was produced by Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Martin "Youth" Glover, and Andy Jackson. The tracklist, which you can see below, is divided into four sides to "invoke the album listening experience," according to a press release. It's mostly instrumental, with one song, "Louder Than Words", featuring lyrics by Polly Samson. The cover art is based on a design by Ahmed Emad Eldin, an 18-year old Egyptian artist, and "re-created" by design agency Stylorouge.

The Endless River:

Side 1:
01 Things Left Unsaid
02 It’s What We Do
03 Ebb And Flow

Side 2:
04 Sum
05 Skins
06 Unsung
07 Anisina

Side 3:
08 The Lost Art of Conversation
09 On Noodle Street
10 Night Light
11 Allons-y (1)
12 Autumn’68
13 Allons-y (2)
14 Talkin’ Hawkin’

Side 4:
15 Calling
16 Eyes To Pearls
17 Surfacing
18 Louder Than Words

http://pitchfork.com/news/56814-pink-floyd-detail-new-album-the-endless-river/

Interested to hear Autumn '68, Summer '68 is one of my favourite Pink Floyd songs...

Thom Yorke has released a new album:

As an experiment we are using a new version of BitTorrent to distribute a new Thom Yorke record.

The new Torrent files have a pay gate to access a bundle of files..

The files can be anything, but in this case is an 'album'.

It's an experiment to see if the mechanics of the system are something that the general public can get its head around ...

If it works well it could be an effective way of handing some control of internet commerce back to people who are creating the work.

Enabling those people who make either music, video or any other kind of digital content to sell it themselves.

Bypassing the self elected gate-keepers.

If it works anyone can do this exactly as we have done.

The torrent mechanism does not require any server uploading or hosting costs or 'cloud' malarkey.

It's a self-contained embeddable shop front...

The network not only carries the traffic, it also hosts the file. The file is in the network.

Oh yes and it's called
Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/tomorrows-modern-boxes

Of course, in related news, Radiohead have confirmed that they are back in the studio working on their next album.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56827-thom-yorke-shares-archival-material-while-radiohead-hit-the-studio/

I'm curious to see what kind of album they make following The King of Limbs, given that they took a fair bit of criticism for that album, by their standards. Hopefully they won't continue down the noodly path of TKOL and Atoms for Peace's album Amok. But there's no reason to be too optimistic I suppose.

Anyway, been listening to the Syro album by Aphex Twin on Spotify. Great album and perfect rainy day music .... to bad it was not raining here.

Snap! I like it too. And it's always raining here :P Was talking about gigs we went in our teens to pals at the pub last night. I seen Aphex Twin at Leeds Festival in 2001.13 years ago..THIRTEEN years ago! I'm old :(

What was everyone's first gig? The first one I went without my parents was Capdown (the awesome ska punk band) in '98/'99 upstairs at triple kirks in Aberdeen. Was so good, still remember that whole night like it was yesterday.

Darkside and Etherwood are nursing my hangover at the moment...

http://youtu.be/PAAUqBghiVo

http://youtu.be/gEmkoY14KOE

also my brother was at that Aphex Twin Leeds Festival Duck, are you my brother?

Just checked it was actually 2002.

post-1727-0-79835300-1411922136_thumb.jp

Pretty decent line up looking back. I remember Rivers from Weezer being slightly drunk and saying "leeeet's go Reading!!" Haha!

And no as far as I'm aware I'm not your brother.

edit: also £90 a ticket! How much are they now £200?

The first gig I remember that wasn't just friends' unsigned bands playing in pubs was Strangelove at the Charlotte in Leicester, 93 or 94.

They were kind of moving in the same circles as Suede and the Manics around that time, but never took off. The Charlotte was an amazing grotty music venue, I saw so much live music (and drank so much rubbish beer there).

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was listening to as an 18 year old (actually I'd still listen to that now) :blush:

You seen Fudge Tunnel Naggy? Keeeeewl! I wish I was going to gigs in the early 90's. Most of my favourite metal/punk bands were at their peak then.

Mine was Radiohead in Marley Park in 2006.

Radiohead was the most common answer between my mates.

My first was Offspring with afi supporting at Wembley arena. I think it was 1999 or 2000. We were about three miles from the stage, was ace though. First festival was Reading 2001, can't remember the Saturday headliners now but Friday was Travis :s and Sunday was Marilyn Manson or Eminem I think.

Yup... Hate Songs in E Minor is a classic album, although my history teacher didn't seem to think so when he caught me listening to it during class...

It's good aye. That Nailbomb album Newport did with the Cavalera bros is a fucking weapon of an album too.

I have a mate who I went to school with who's now a political analyst that does quite a lot of TV/Radio interviews.

Every time I see him on tv, in a suit, talking quite pronounced. In my head I'm thinking "dude remember when we went to Napalm Death together like 10 years ago?"..haha!

My first festival was either Paléo Festival in Nyon, Switzerland (only remember seeing Babybird and Texas), or Out In The Green in Frauenfeld, Germany (Ramstein, Deep Purple, Prodigy, Steve Winward, Jamiroquai, Die Toten Hosen among others) I can't remember which was first. We slept on the ground without a tent at Fraunfeld - I wouldn't recommend it.

I went to reading in 99 I think (the year Kevin Rowland sang Witney Houston covers on stage in a dress and stockings).

IIRC, the headliners were Red Hot Chili Peppers (this was the year Californication came out and seeing them live was what made me a fan), Chemical Brothers (good music but bit of a boring light show) and Blur (boring for the first half when they basically played all of '13' before doing all the popular stuff in the second half).

I don't think I could do the traditional festival experience (getting a couple of hours sleep a night on the floor in a tent) these days. I remember even back then my back was so sore I could hardly stand up by the end of day three. Also, toilets and showers are marvellous inventions that I see no reason to do without.

I love the Nailbomb album, big fan of Max Cavelera but still not heard any Fudge Tunnel.

My first proper gig would've been The Cure in 1997. Depressingly they were actually pretty poor. It was in the Manchester arena and the place was nowhere near full, you could see the band actively play worse due to the lack of audience.

My last gig was yesterday where I played a gig in Liverpool supporting an amazing banjo player/singer called Darren Eedens from Canada.

I managed to get him to join us on stage for a song that we hadn't rehearsed with him, I just shouted out the changes as it went on.