passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

Listened to Mogwai's best of/Anthology 'Central Belters' a lot this week. It's soooo fucking good. I kinda forget sometimes how many good songs that band has.

Been listening to Mutoid Man's new album a lot too. When it came out I liked it but I thought the first album was better. But it grew on me.

I've been listening to the Mogwai compilation too. Remurded just sounds evil as all hell.

That sent me down a rabbit hole of watching YouTube videos of their pedal set ups and they're insane as I suspected. At least 4 distortions, multiple delay units, etc.

I've also been listening to the Easy Star All-Stars who are the backing band for the Easy Star record company and they do dub versions of classic albums. Dub Side of the Moon, Radiodread (OK Computer), a dub Sgt Pepper and a dub Thriller. Amazing stuff.

I didn't realise Mogwai had a best of out, and I was going to buy it but there's not really much point. I've got just about everything they've ever done and I listen to music exclusively digitally, I'd be paying money to have a playlist.

That said going to Amazon let me know Joanna Newsom has a new album out which I'll pick up over the weekend

I've been listening to a lot of new music this year and not posted about it but I'll save most of that for the end of year thread. One I do want to mention though is The Oh Hellos. I bought Through the Deep Dark Valley this year but it actually came out a few years back, it's fantastic.

I mention it because I got their new album this week, only listened to it a couple of times but it's not clicked with me as much yet, it may do, we'll see.

I also bought the new Caspian album,'Dust and Disquiet', loved their first, didn't like their 2nd, this seems fantastic. It's post rock, fairly standard, but very well done.

I also bought the new The World is a Beautiful Place and I'm Not Afraid to Die album 'Harmlessness', they have the name of a post rock band but they're more alt rock, their first album was great, this seems pretty promising so far too

I've been listening to Joanna Newsom's new album Divers. It's not as immediately accessible as her last album, Have One On Me (I think running length aside, Have One On Me was a pretty accessible album!), but it's growing on me.

Also, been listening to Beach House's two new albums, Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars. Beach House are not the kind of band that you would want to release two albums at once...but actually, they're both pretty great.

Been listening to The Libertines' Anthems for Doomed Youth which is pretty solid, and Majical Clouds' Are You Alone? which is a very nice album.

This is a current favourite of mine off that. The whole album sounds like this, so it's pretty minimal.

I didn't realise Mogwai had a best of out, and I was going to buy it but there's not really much point. I've got just about everything they've ever done and I listen to music exclusively digitally, I'd be paying money to have a playlist.

It's on the Spotifys if you have that. There's some rare tracks on there too. I think they've put some effort into the track listing. I've listened to it all the way through a few times and seems to work as an 'album' even though it's multiple albums spanning 20 years.

@Hendo Remurdered sounds like a soundtrack to a noir Cyberpunk movie or something to me. The bass sound they have on some of their heavier songs is immense.

I've been listening to the new Craig Finn solo album. I've not had much time with it but it seems too low key at the moment, like it's for the people who really like his stuff and are willing to wring it. I think I may be that kind of person eventually but I'd prefer it more in your face with the cool and striking lines to be honest.

And I've dug a bit and I'm giving Pulp's This is Hardcore a few spins. Again, not the most striking songs but I do like it quite a bit. I bit darker and more existential as you expect from them in their prime but there is time for that.

But I've mostly been on Our Love by Caribou. It's just some lovely electric noise. Very *'Netflix and Chill'

*I apologise for that analogy as it likely makes no-sense to anyone. That's why I don't write for Pitchfork; that right there (or it's why I should ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot Mutiod Man so I've started to listening Brodsky's other stuff again too. Mainly Cave In..

Such a weird band. Started off a trippy metalcore band then changed to a more pop rock style then went more droney. Then split up..

Still listening to a lot of Jacques Greene, mainly his remixes..

Triple post again.. Doesn't anyone else use this forum, :lol:

Listening to Maybeshewill's lastest album as i just found out they're splitting up after their tour next year :( ..

Their earlier stuff had a more metal edge to it. But this one has a more Album Leaf influence especially with the violins/organs. I really like MSW, sad they're calling it a day.

Probably my favourite song by them..

• 1 month later...

I listened to this again last night, it's one of my favourite things. I had no idea there was an accompanying video. It's a radio documentary by Glenn Gould about Northern Canada. I recommend listening to it some night when you're in bed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave a few listens to Adele's album 25. God, it really is shit. There's just no two ways about it is there? I like all the Adele songs that get played on the radio but this album is heavy going.

Recently i've been listening to Shearwater's new album Jet Plane and Oxbow, it's great.

I love the singer's voice and the music is great on the album. Could see it being a keeper.

I've been listening to The Beatles more lately but I think they'll never truly click. I see how awesome they would have been at the time, but growing up in a time where their influence is everywhere it's hard to find it as exciting. It's like the original trilogy of Star Wars.

Though maybe Let It Be could find itself in my little rotation. There's certainly worse in there.

This week I've mostly been listening to Dopesmoker, by Sleep

I admit I mostly started listening to it couple of months back just because of the story behind the thing: a mid-90's stoner metal band got money from their label to make an album, got extremely high and disappeared for a while, returning with one song that lasted 60 minutes. The label never released it, and the band broke up. It got passed around as bootlegs for a while, and eventually got released a couple of years ago.

It turns out it's actually really good. It continued to grow on me and I listen to it loads at work when I don't need to talk to anyone and just get on with stuff.

Fucking Yes Craymen!

Back in, I want to say 2003 maybe 04. When me and my mate from Uni finished classes for the day we used to browse the music shops for an hour or 2 after. Because of the way the metal section was displayed in HMV the S was at the front. So we kept seeing Sleep 'Jerusalem'. We didn't know what type of metal it was, the cover was pretty minimal and it had 1 song on it. So we were like what the fuck is this thing.

At first we were like we're not paying for £15 for a 1 song. But the mystery of it kept growing and we kept seeing every time we went in. So like, 2 weeks later we decide we NEED to find out what it is asap and went halves on it. And we listened to it and instantly liked it.

It's a cool album I think Jerusalem and Dopesmoker are the same songs. But Jerusalem is just a earlier recording.

I kinda miss the gamble that you sometimes used to take because the album cover was cool or it has one song it like Sleep. YouTube and digital have kinda killed it.

What's everyone's best random music buy? I bought Aenima by Tool on a random when i was 15. The music equivalent of buying a car, taking home and finding a million quid in the boot. An album an a half.