passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

That's interesting. I know we're not the biggest sample size, but it shows the difference between "gamers" and everyone else, it's a much closer split on forums 

It'll be interesting to see what it's like by the end of the generation. If it isn't closer after Game Pass, Bethesda and Activision I'm not sure how they do close it 

All this excluding Nintendo is pretty bollocks, obviously they'd still be in third position (and in all honesty there's nothing they can do in regards to that)... it's all very coincidental with the release of these numbers too, I'm sure that's not to paint them as plucky underdogs either.

I find it extremely questionable that more entities than just MS and AB paint the CMA in such a negative light for initially blocking the deal. I think as consumers we should be heralding the fact that there's at least some sort of control, even if it ultimately lead to nothing in this case. But there will certainly more eyes on Microsoft in the future and they will most likely not be able to pull off something of this magnitude during our lifetimes. That all said, I'm glad it's all over soon.

___

In more interesting news (IMO), the yearly demo event is live on Xbox right now with a bunch of GDC builds from upcoming indie titles available for the public. Unfortunately quite a bit of roguelikes in there, but also some RPGs (among them Sea of Stars), a few horror titles, 2D platformers/action games etc. I'm currently downloading some of them and might post again if one of those stands out.

It's more that countries' anti-competition safeguards can be thwarted ridiculously easily by throwing money at the problem and really highly paid lawyers, more so in the US than here thankfully.

Sony and Nintendo don't own any big 3P Japanese publishers. They make deals with them, but Microsoft is also free to make said deals, like they have recently with Sega. It's a false equivalence.

Do Sony have influence over corporate consolidation policy in Japan? Think that's what Blakey was mainly saying.

I mean maybe they do, I don't really know. MS' rhetoric in this thing has been to indicate they would consider pulling out of the UK market entirely if such a drastic step had to be taken, which is unlikely, but is the kind of bullying that demonstrates why these kinds of regulatory processes are not a negative, even if it eventually turns out that the deal progresses anyway.

(tho tbf, not actually sure what pulling out of UK really entails. Does it mean spinning ABK UK out as a separate entity or does it affect their gaming business in general, or more than that even)

It's just big business doing what business does, and always has, always will.

A good deal for the consumer is only dependent upon competition and profit margin.

No-one seems to get too irate about consumers choice & competition when Nintendo holds the price points of its proprietary IP games steady for >5 years, bucking the price trend of all other game releases (which devalue in 6 months or less).

14 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

It's just big business doing what business does, and always has, always will.

I mean, this is just sort of a meaningless cliché. Big business will do what it wants, doesn't mean that it should be unchallenged in doing so and such deals be unscrutinised. 

The FTC fucked their argument up so badly by all accounts that it would have been farcical if it'd gone any other way... even the judge chided them they were "supposed" to be protecting the public interest and not Sony.

This has been clarified as a 10 year deal for CoD only, no other Activision/Blizzard games and will need renegotiating in 2033... which also gets you thinking presumably that PS6 will be released way before that and the only way it'll get a native version of CoD would be for MS to have dev kits... it's such a weird scenario.