passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

I'm in the same boat, it's pretty dumb to have something like this exclusive but on the other I really don't care because I play on a 2011 1080p TV and don't plan on replacing it until it kicks the bucket.

Aaand another update yesterday. Are they using the exact same OS for Xbox One and Series? Because I can't imagine Xbox One being in need of an update every fortnight. I know the UI looks the same but I'd imagine them being a bit different "inside"?

Dolby Vision is a step up from HDR10 for me, my parents have it on their LG TV and you can definitely notice a difference on Netflix, never tried it with games and my TV doesn't support it.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

Aaand another update yesterday. Are they using the exact same OS for Xbox One and Series? Because I can't imagine Xbox One being in need of an update every fortnight. I know the UI looks the same but I'd imagine them being a bit different "inside"?

I believe they do use the same UI. 

Yeah, no, I'm aware of that but I mean is it actually 1:1 the same OS as well? Meaning that every time they update Series X/S, Xbox One also gets the same thing despite not necessarily taking advantage of some of the adjustments? Because I find it a bit weird that my Xbox One would receive three updates over the span of a month or so if it were actually just an Xbox One update.

Well I just googled it now since google actually gives you a proper answer instead of whatever this exchange has been and yes, turns out both systems share the same OS (and no, an almost identical UI is not a guarantee that they do). Hence why I'm getting a truckload of updates recently, most of which don't add anything of value to the good old Xbox One.

• 2 weeks later...

Avoiding the E3 thread in case there are any spoilers in it but the Xbox & Bethesda thing is tonight at 6pm and quite excited. The big one for me will be Fable 4. I think it was last E3 they announced it so let’s see if they actually have anything more to show.

Halo Infinite has to show it’s face. They have Master Chief in their logo for this event so I’m guessing it’s going to be a big deal.

From the Bethesda side? Ah. I’m not a Bethesda fan so no expectations. Be nice if they’ve got something cool, though. 

Anyway 6pm let’s go

They really need to come out swinging this time. It’s been years since all the acquisitions and they’ve not had any big hitters for far too long. Surely the fruits of the last few years are ready to be shown. They’ve not had anything brand new of note for basically an entire generation. Gears and Forza being the only tent poles they’ve still got left and I’d argue the majority of gamers don’t really care about those anymore. I can’t see even Halo being that much of a big deal in a mainstream sense anymore. People have moved on - CoD, Fortnite, Apex, Destiny etc. Have all cannibalised that market in Halo’s absence. Really interested to see what they’ve got to show us this year. 

Personally though still most excited for new Forza stuff out this year please! 

From Bethesda side Id like Wolfenstein 3 and more DOOM ta. 

Obviously looking forward to any Gamepass stuff too. Hopefully they add something to it during their conference. 

I think with Bethesda exclusives they will come out swinging tbh

But yea it would be nice to see a departure from the trifecta of boredom (imo) of Halo, Gears and Forza (with a dash of Fable).

It's been long enough for me that I've swung back around from being bored of the Bethesda formula circa Fallout 3 to being interested in it again, having skipped Skyrim and F4. Provided they do something new with it

@mfnick Yeah. Xbox’s are great VfM because of Gamepass. It’s a great back compat machine because not only does everything work notable titles are actually better. And because of VRR it can make it the best place to play 3rd party stuff too when it comes down to comparisons.

But fuck all that shit. Now is the time. I get Covid hits development hard. I don’t need all these games to come out this year. But show us the future of this machine and what it can really do. 

Yea, the Xbox is my main console mainly because of all that. Plus I prefer the controller - the extras on the PS5 are amazing no doubt but it hurts my hands to use for prolonged periods due to the stick placement. 

But multi platform games don’t make for a exciting console. It’s time to show us something for all that money you’ve splurged over the years. 

VRR is such a fucking gamechanger, MS should make a bigger deal about it. Or at least when more ppl have TVs that support it.

It is very very nice to just run games at high fluctuating framerates and have that shit still feel pretty good, even if consistent smoothness would be better it's good enough that you don't feel the dips as much anymore