passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Microsoft are in a good position for me now.

There is literally nothing they can do to make my expectations of there any lower.

the only way is up from here MS, make me proud! :)

What if the Xbone causes cancer??

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-11-windows-chief-confirmed-as-new-xbox-boss

Windows chief Julie Larson-Green has been confirmed as the new boss of Xbox as part of a significant reshuffle at Microsoft.

Larson-Green, a 20-year Microsoft veteran who most recently worked on Windows 8, will lead the new Devices and Studios Engineering Group, and will look after all hardware development and supply chain for all Microsoft devices, including the Xbox consoles.

Larson-Green is now responsible for all Microsoft's studios experiences, including games, music, video and other entertainment.

Previously Don Mattrick, now CEO of Zynga, was president of the Interactive Entertainment Business, of which Xbox was a part.

In an email to staff, Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer outlined expected changes in the way the company operates as it focuses on becoming a devices and services-based company.

"Together, we have created great products and great success, but we all want more," he wrote. "That means a strategy to deliver a family of devices and services that best enable people for the activities they value most and the enterprise extensions and services that are most valuable to business.

"A new structure to bring these to market faster. Stronger centralised services so we can be more efficient and effective. Priority focus areas, short and long term. New characteristics of how we work together.

"In other words, better execution and innovation through strategy and goal and discipline and engineering coherence.

"One Microsoft all the time."

I'm not so bothered about this. I know some people have levelled that it's not good for MS as she's not a gamer but that doesn't really matter. I imagine that being the head of a company like MS isn't about knowing your product, it's making sure every department delivers on it's promise.

If she isn't capable of that then MS just made a massive pyre out of dollar bills and threw a match at it.

• 3 weeks later...
Microsoft today launched a service called Xbox Enforcement United, a program that allows users to help determine if other players are violating the Xbox Live Code of Conduct.

A beta version of the program is live now and is open only to Xbox Live Ambassadors who meet age, Gamerscore, and Xbox Live tenure requirements. Microsoft intends to open the program up to a broader community when the beta comes to a close. Gamers interested in taking part in the beta can head to the program's new website.

The Xbox Enforcement United program will crowdsource community opinion about content found on Xbox Live, beginning with Gamertags, that may be in violation of the Xbox Live Code of Conduct.

Those in the program will be asked to identify questionable content as it relates to profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech, sensitive historic/current events, as well as various "sound alike" or "look alike" words or phrases, potentially masked by l33t speek, phonetic tricks, or multiple languages.

These opinions are then fed into an algorithm developed by Microsoft's enforcement team to determine if "enforcement action" is needed, like mandating a user change their Gamertag to something more appropriate.

More information about the Xbox Enforcement United program is available in a blog post from Xbox Live policy and enforcement team member Glenn Kaleta.

Microsoft also today gave new details on the Xbox One's reputation system that promises "no more cheats or jerks."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-launches-xbox-enforcement-united-program-6412388

I sort of feel bad when I come across someone using a gamertag like VV33D834S7 4 LYF3 because they have very little in their lives when they have to signal to everyone they like the weed.

Alternatively I think they should be rounded up and culled. They're not going to do anything worth anything so it'd probably be for the best.

so, because my gamertag was gone and I had to sub in a 3 for an e, I'm going in the hopper with the squeakers?

MS used to have a rep system as well as you being able to choose who you want to be matched up with (wasn't it called gamerzone?), but they binned it off.

once again, while it's nice that MS are trying to implement stuff, it bugs the shit out of me how they try to present it as if they're doing some marvellous thing that no one ever thought of before.

Did you not read it? They're only going to shutdown the people with offensive tags. Ones alluding to nasty stuff, drug use or sexual smut. You will not be affected. Unless getting a RoboticMonk3y is a weird fetish where you get a stoned Nazi to shit all over your cock and balls, nothing will change for you.

I wish this extended to people that called themselves Sniper with variations of x's, z's and numbers around those names. Or just make them all play with each other. Full lobbies of players that have the word "Snipe" would be the ultimate troll from MS.

Did you not read it? They're only going to shutdown the people with offensive tags. Ones alluding to nasty stuff, drug use or sexual smut. You will not be affected. Unless getting a RoboticMonk3y is a weird fetish where you get a stoned Nazi to shit all over your cock and balls, nothing will change for you.

Don't you judge me for how I like to spend my free time!

• 2 weeks later...
Microsoft has announced that it will discontinue Microsoft Points with the next Xbox 360 system update.

The firm’s Marc Whitten announced during E3 that after plenty of user feedback, it would switch over to a local currency system and Xbox Live Points cards at stores would be switched to standard Gift Cards.

Once the new update goes live and is completed, when users purchase or redeem a Microsoft Points card or code, the system will add to their account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Xbox Marketplace value of the Microsoft Points.

The currency added to the account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015; however, the currency purchased and added to the account after the transition will not expire.

Item prices will thereafter be expressed in local currency with the continued ability to directly purchase content from Xbox stores using any current form of payment available in your region.

The new Xbox Gift Cards will start being made available in store in late 2013, and like the previous point cards, can be added to the user’s online account.

Microsoft will continue to accept purchased points cards and codes until further notice, and upon being redeemed will be converted over to local currency.

In addition, points earned through Xbox Live Rewards will remain in the user’s Xbox Live account and transition to local currency with the update.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/10/microsoft-points-to-be-discontinued-with-next-xbox-360-system-update/

In preparation for how Xbox Live will function once Xbox One gets here, Microsoft will convert Gold family subscriptions to individual accounts beginning on Aug. 27. Since everyone in the house will now have to pay for a subscription, Microsoft is adding another three months of Gold to anyone affected.

It's all in a notice sent out yesterday to subscribers, but it's worth pointing out that in addition to managing individual subscriptions, the dissolution of family accounts means the loss of features like activity reports (see what the kids are up to) and doling out Microsoft points allowances. Parental controls will remain in place.

Not being a family account holder, I can't speak to the multiple what-ifs that come from such a move, so check out the FAQ Microsoft posted for more specific answers. Why would Microsoft do this? Well, with Xbox One, every account in a household will be able to share their games and perks with one another. That means sharing digital games—within the same household. There's more on how that works at this announcement on Xbox Wire.

As some have pointed out, there's a benefit to family gaming on Xbox One, thanks to something called "Home Gold" which allows a single Gold member (heh) to share all of his perks and games with every other account created on the console. That said, for families that remain Xbox Live subscribers on the Xbox 360, they will have to pay for individual subscriptions—again, that's why the extra three months of Live is being offered as a consideration.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-live-family-subscriptions-convert-to-individual-ac-1099325395

Thank fuck for that.

I'm playing Red Faction : Guerilla at the moment which you need to sign in with GFWL to play an offline campaign mode. Seeing as Volition don't have anything to do with Red Faction anymore, I wonder if it'll be patched by someone or will become unplayable.

• 2 weeks later...