passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears of War 2

illdog

4 and 5 weapons don't have as nice feedback I find. The older ones I played (1 + 2) you can feel the guts and gristle. New ones it feels like you're cutting through butter with a hot knife.

On the other hand the new Gears are much more visually interesting and a nice break from all the grey and gloom of the old series. 4 had all those crazy electric storms and shit.

I've been using the rifle more lately, but I hate it when I'm parted from my chainsaw gun. 

But it's the gameplay that's gone thru the roof in this sequel. Last night it went all survival horror in this clandestine research unit. Luckily I still had my flamethrower when it all went Pete tong. Then there was a killer sequence with razor rain, of all things, followed by a tank chase up a snowy peak.

I could do with a bit of downtime to be honest. Maybe the guys could sit at a campfire and talk about their hobbies for a bit.

Probably end in violence.

So we've had a bit of a crazy time in the locust hive, including a face to face with the rather human looking queen. (I feel I should know why she looks human, but I've forgotten. Maybe it's something mad to do with Marcus's father?).

Anyway there were some glorious set pieces, and the game has become a lot better looking on my one X. Think I'm closing in on the endgame now, and I'm starting to wonder just how many bullets I've gone thru. It can't be that far off the number of deaths I had in Ori.

Done!

A brutal final act of bloodsoaked silliness which saw Marcus Piloting a reaver and a brumak, of all things.

How many of you Xbox veterans thought the final battle with that lambent brumak was going to be a royal pain in the arse? Turned out it took a couple of hammer of dawn blasts and down it went. Nice.

Anyway, another classic Xbox title done. 

I was wondering if there's one of these gears games I should avoid - a sort of dead space 3, Resi 5 affair. Or is it just a series of reasonably even quality?

I haven’t played Judgement but all the main numbered ones are great IMO apart from 4. Still decent and probably worth playing but if you’re starting to feel burned out or anything they’re the 2 I’d say to miss. 2, 3 and 5 are my favourites. 

4 has a really cool last act though. And I know most people hate the prologue but I enjoyed seeing all this shiny stuff in a Gears game. At the time it was also an impressive graphical showcase for a system that was being made fun of as the "900p box" at the time. Of course with Gears 5 and new consoles out and all that that's not such a big bonus anymore, but it's still a nice looking game.