Jimboxy

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Booo, Hendo. Well, atleast you tried.

I don't have much to add regarding the DLC. I'm in The Pitt and I was sent out on a mission to find 10 steel Ignets and the slavers were all like 'oooh, you'll never get them without being killed' and I'm like 'fuck off, shit for brains. I'll get loads'. I was getting loads but thanks to my lack of saving (which I usually get in the habit of doing) and me thinking that I can do some Mario-esque platforming around some very high girders I have now lost about an hours worth of playing because - surprisingly - Fallout 3 doesn't work very well as a platform game.

Cunt.

Well i now got this all set up and running nicely on my laptop to take on the plane with me.

It's a 14 hour flight... and there are power supplies in the seats for laptops. I also have an xbox live wired controller to play with so i don't need to worry about not having enough space for a mouse :-)

Rekon i can make a pretty solid dent in this game in 14 hours.

Pluss i'll have all my meals bought to me. Only reason i'll have to get up is for the toilet. Heh heh.

Getting paid to play fallout3 for 14 hours while flying somewhere hot.... achievement unlocked :-)

Seriously though... i have DIPPED into this game before and loved what i saw. Made it to megaton. Didn't blow the place up.... did a couple of side quests.. got a dog... dog got killed.. but that's about it. No more than an hour or so of play really.

I plan on restarting from scratch. I have all the DLC except for the new pack (which i plan on getting before i go)

Any advice on play styles or what skills i should go for this time...... i am the first to admit i am crap at these games and the first time i didn't put much thought into the

skills other than try and pick something similar to myself. Is it better to be an utter evil git in a game like this?

I've just started this (yep, another), and have just left the vault. It looked amazing with your eyes adjusting and seeing the destroyed landscape ahead of you. I saved just before I left though, what is the best way to assign my skill points?

Don't ask me about skill points, I think I've applied mine terribly. I hear of people running around punching Deathclaws in the face at my level yet I still have to be very careful with larger enemies. I thinks that's testament to how forgiving the game is if you think you're not applying your points right, so I wouldn't worry, just do what you think is right at the time.

It was probably that attitude that got me bum raped in Oblivion.

weapon wise, i stuck to one weapon type for most of the game, small guns.i assumed theyd be plentiful throughout, and they were. and at the beginning youll probably use them a lot. and some of the special ones are pretty damn powerful later on. so cos i wasnt spending skill points on any other combat type i had points to put into science (hacking), speech (for convincing people to see my way of thinking) and lockpicking. i chose perks that made these things beter, and perks that improved my chances of criticals/accuracy/damage, mainly in vats. i started branching out into medicine and stuff later on but that original strategy got me through most of the game really, and quite well

Are there any long range snipery type weapons? I am trying to get somewhere (cant remember the name) and there are mutants in a building that have a long range weapon and I cant get near them! Plus i've come to far to turn round and find another way :angry:

I was playing the other day and I heard the guy from the radio station telling people my story over the radio waves. Nice touch.

There is a sniper rifle, it's my weapon of choice, I've named her The Dutchess. Thanks to my high stealth skill and critical hit perks there isn't many raiders or super mutents that don't get killed with one bullet. :ph34r:

I whole heartedly recomend it.

Reading TGK post I see thats similar to what I did except I've only really started improving my lock-picking until late on. The only regret I have is the base stats that I left the vault with had very high big weapons stat, it's useless until late on and even then I don't like them, the rocket launcher is the only one I ended up using regularly.

yeah i have 100 for big guns and energy weapons now as well and i just dont use them.

as for long range weapons, there are at least two one of a kind special sniper rifles i know of in the retail game, the victory rifle and the reservist's rifle. the latter is the better one. but personally i use a one of a kind hunting rifle for my long range needs, its called Lincoln's Repeater and can be found in the museum of history. it uses magnum ammo and is a total beast, i think much better than the other one of a kind hunting rifle Ol' Painless. also it has 0 spread when not in vats, so if youve used up all your action points and are aiming with the right stick, the shots will go exactly where you aim which is awesome.

also important is the Repair skill, you dont have to spend too much on it straightaway, maybe just level it up little by little because at first youll probably find lots of guns that are in better condition than you could repair them to anyway, and shop owners/scavengers/caravan folk will have a higher repair skill than you at first. but its awesome to be able to repair an item to 100%, saves you lots of money and also lets you combine guns or armour youve picked up to make higher value items that take up less space in your inventory, for selling. not to mention that repairing your own guns in the field keeps them at maximum effectiveness

get as many skill books as you can too.

I'm pretty hooked on this at the moment. Last night I did the Galaxy News Radio quest, the other two I have completed being Following in his Footsteps and The Power of the Atom (

I disarmed the bomb, and killed the guy who wanted me to blow it up, in front of Lucas' face

). The world is huge, I spent nearly three hours last night just doing the GNR quest. I defeated a behemoth mutant along the way with the help of the Brotherhood of Steel. I'm not doing so bad with ammunition now, although I don't have a massive amount, I am getting by. I'm using the pistol, assault rifle, and hunter rifle mostly. I don't like the night, so am fast-forwarding when I can. I'm not a fan of the underground, it can get pretty creepy in there!

The VATS system is brilliant. I've become very much accustomed to it, and use it 95% of the time. I think I'm only level 5 at the moment, but that probably has something to do with me playing it on easy and not getting as much XP. First person is my viewpoint of choice, I did try third person zoomed in, but I feel a lot more immersed playing it first person. I'm not sure if I'm doing the main story or just side quests. I would like to stick mainly to the story if I can, as I know what I'm like and I may not see the end otherwise. I didn't think I would like this as much as I do, as it's not really the type of game I would play. Fallout 3 has wedged itself in my mind though, I'm thinking about its world all of the time.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the lovely Hendo, I finally got hold of this game. I have spent quite a bit of time on it now. It's a good game, and the more I play it, the more I enjoy it, but for the most, I'm just not digging it. I wonder if the disc me and Hendo played/are playing from is cursed or something? :huh:

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the lovely Hendo, I finally got hold of this game. I have spent quite a bit of time on it now. It's a good game, and the more I play it, the more I enjoy it, but for the most, I'm just not digging it. I wonder if the disc me and Hendo played/are playing from is cursed or something? :huh:

Scratch that. The more I play it, the better I think it gets, possibly to the point where I think it's the best SP game this gen (although Mass Effect gets rinsed after I have finished this, so it might all change). It appears that I am the only person in the world who is playing like I do, as when I speak to others about the game, they go about each given situation differently. The end outcome might be the same, but the way you go about achieving it will be unique to how you play. For instance, I have taken to watching enemies from a distance, seeing how they patrol, then nipping in and laying land mines on their route, then returning to my viewpoint and watching the havoc I have created. Sometimes I put them on choke points and then get them to chase me, using myself as a bait for their own stupidity. The story has throw a few lame points at me, but the way you can interact with them is amazing. The point where you meet the

Enclave computer was a bit of a let down for me, I was expecting some boss fight of some sorts, but what I got was a long and funny conversation on me messing with the computers AI, until it started question it's own being. Once I had totally fucked with it's head, I told it to self destruct and destroy the base, which is what it did. It even set up all the turrets to fight the Enclave soldier for me, which was very nice, it made escaping that little bit easier. And well done Hendo, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist reading this. :lol:

It is getting to the point where I am thinking about the game outside playing it now too, which doesn't happen very often now. Not in a sense of what I am going to do anyway, my thoughts tend to be about good online games or mistakes I made and how I can learn from them when I am thinking about games, but this is just a totally different beast. I'll probably play it again as a bad or neutral character once I have finished as well, there is so much to do.

I have Fallout 3, Lost Oddesy, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia sat on my shelf all unplayed. It was Vesperia calling me the most but your the second person today to remind me this is supposed to be bitchin. The agony of choice.

I've gone back to this too. I stopped when I got to Rivet City as I had to wander around looking for people. I still had to do that when I went back, but it turned out i was in better shape than I thought I was, so when I did finally get to fight it wasnt the chore I thought it might be.

I watched my housemate do loads of stuff on one of his many many playthroughs, so some of the surprises aren't there, but to compensate it showed me better ways of doing things and saving ammo etc. got myself a follower, who's a bit too powerful but handy to have around

I want to go back to this, but I really don't have the time to put into it right now. Maybe I'll wait and get the GOTY edition with all the DLC or something. I wonder if it'll be on a second disc like with Oblivion GOTY, then I could sell it on afterwards once it's been installed, hmm. I don't think I've played Fallout 3 since my last reply in this thread, but I do think about its world a lot and intend to return one day or another.

I have finished all the quests a good guy can do and completed all the DLC so I am pretty much done with this now. Easily one of my favourite games of all time and hopefully I will take a knock on the head at some point that will erase my memory of this, FFVII and the Metal Gear games so I can play them all for the first time again.