passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Wii, 2 years on

Sambob

Ok so we havnt done one of these for a little while.

I know its not EXACTLY 2 years later, but its two years since everyone was getting really excited and making wishlists.

How do people feel about their little machine now? Are we looking back and being proud that we made the right choice in supporting Nintendo and sticking by them after the cube (which I know isnt an issue because we all loved it anyways), but it turned out to have seen off the bigger machines, so job well done right?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been some great great games for it, Metroid and Galaxy rate amongst the best I've ever played. But it's slipped down the pecking order with the PS3 probably being closer to first choice console for me now, not that I dont still play my Wii. The VC is still good, theres some great games on the way, but that's the problem for me, 2 years on and I'm still waiting for it to show what it can do

I was very happy with my Wii for ages, but recently I can't even bring myself to switch it on. I think when I bought it I subconsciously wanted one to keep me going until I made the jump to to PS3 - and the fact that it looked fun. Now I have my PS3 I cant find a reason to switch it on.

I have played some great games on it (Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, Geometry Wars, FFCCMLAAK, the wind one - I even like Wii Sports and Mario and Sonic) and like the VC but there is nothing really of interest to me on it now or in the near future. Only Animal Crossing is on my list, but even then I am thinking of cancelling my pre-order.

I think the Wii games market got flooded with crap far too quickly.

To be honest, I think a lot of that is psychological - there's a guy who works in retail who posts up what's coming out for the week in the GTM forum and you get the usual stupid comments about the shovelware crap for the Wii but no-one says a dicky bird about the stuff that gets released for the PS2, PC or PSP.

I could easily post up a huge list of great stuff for the Wii (including VC and WiiWare) but it's just that the PS3 and 360 have technically surpassed the Wii, not in terms of graphical power but in terms of what you can do with it. Like, free demos, seeing what your friends are doing, achievements/trophies, etc.

Stuff that the Wii could easily do but for some reason, doesn't.

I've had some good times with my machine but it's stayed as second place in terms of what I'm playing on, but then I pretty much expected that.

I didn't expect the massive backlash for the machine, that arguably doesn't come close to deserving it.

To be honest, I think a lot of that is psychological - there's a guy who works in retail who posts up what's coming out for the week in the GTM forum and you get the usual stupid comments about the shovelware crap for the Wii but no-one says a dicky bird about the stuff that gets released for the PS2, PC or PSP.

Maybe but I think that happened to the PS2 much later in its lifetime than on the Wii - witness the Ninjabread man games et al on sale within its first year as they were basically lazy gamecube games and easy to bang out.

i really like the wii, as people have said it's had some really top quality games. zelda, metroid, mario are as good as, if not better than, exclusives on the other consoles imo. but again like others have said, i don't even turn it on much any more, got de blob and haven't played it yet, got smash bros and traided that in before playing it (although i have played the game before). even the ps3 has seen more action recently! i keep thinking i should turn it on and get some more stars on mario, or have a go on sin and punishment or de blob, but usually just end up playing halo or rock band instead.

Maybe but I think that happened to the PS2 much later in its lifetime than on the Wii - witness the Ninjabread man games et al on sale within its first year as they were basically lazy gamecube games and easy to bang out.

I dont know, the PS2 didn't have anything worth playing for at least 2 years imo. I do think the Wii has suffered from being close to the PS2 in terms of power, its far too easy for lazy devs to make a cheap port and treat it as a new game

that is true about the ps2, it was ages before anything truly killer came along. Also if memory serves me, most dreamcast games looked better than early ps2 efforts.

Hopefully the wii will get its chance to shine, much like the DS has

It's been a fairly bad year for the Wii, I'm not going to deny it.

There does seem to be a bandwagon though, of pointless Wii bashing. It's replaced the PS3 as the console of choice for that kind of shit. I can understand being fairly disappointed by it, but actually suggesting it has NO good games (Which many of them do) is absolutely ludicrous IMO. The good games on the Wii have usually equalled, if not bettered, good games on the 360 or PS3 (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Smash Bros., Zelda).

Plus it's brought around the whole 'Casual games' suck argument, and then you're just getting into a whole world of elitism and patheticness. They really do give gamers a bad name, it's just like they think it's their hobby and no one else should enjoy it. Parents enjoying video games? Heaven forbid. OK, while lots of these games are shovelware, if people enjoy them, I really don't care. Unlike some will have you believe, casual games being popular will never kill 'Hardcore games', what a ludicrous thing to say.

So yeah, as someone who isn't interested in a lot of the stuff on it, I hope the games improve next year (Looks somewhat like it) but as long as it's bringing new people into the world of gaming, it's doing something right.

All in all I can never not like the console. It's brought lots of new types of fun into gaming, and while the games may not be all that, I don't think that's all down to Nintendo.

Wii wii where did it go wrong......

My wii is in the 3rd place, not the living room but boxed up, only coming out to play when friends come round.

Its disappointing i expected some great games and the cubes replacement to actually take its place under the tele, but no the 360 sits there looking up at me saying i won!!!

Ive enjoyed playing Mario Galaxy and some of the other stuff but there is far too much crap and far too much gimmicky stuff which i hate! Would be nice to get a new Rare game or for Ninty to give us something new and refreshing, i was hoping day of diaster was going to be good but that got a slating today on GC as its another collection of mini games, we don't want mini games!

all the wii love has gone....i still love mine, but i did only get mine in april so i'm working through the back catalogue, metroid is ace, galaxy is ace, smash brothers is ace. I just wish the online play was as easily implemented as liv, friend codes are such a broken system, i was playing smash bros online with a mate the pther day, ha to text him to see if he was on, then as there's no way of chatting we were texting whilst playing, not exactly as much of a social thing as xbox live!!!

I honestly fucking hate my wii.

I can't stand the site of the little white runt.

It just sits there next to my Elite and PS3 looking crap and small.

I got it for my girlfriends birthday and she has hardly touched it.... IMO its just not a great machine and the games are poor alongside everything else that is on offer to gamers these days.

I know... i know... there are some innovative games on the console and its doing something that no one else is doing in the market.... but i have absolutely NO desire to play it ever. Everytime i do i feel like i am wasting valuable gaming time. I got rid of my DS for the same reason though. Used to love it... but then i thought... fuck it... i want to kill shit...i'm getting a PSP.

The only time i have ever enjoyed a wii is when its owned by someone else and playing party games like wario ware etc.

I havent sold a console since I flogged my megadrive to finance a trip to Camp America and then regretted it and bought it all back at twice the price!

Even tho I dont like my Wii at the moment I have too many VC games to flog it :)

I had the pleasure of spending yesterday evening playing the Wii with 3 people who had never played on it before, and 2 years later it still has the same effect, and I still love Bowling and a few of the Wii Play games. I also took Boom Blox but never got round to it.

I wouldn't say any of the 3 are strangers to games but neither are any of them like us, devouring games and game info all the time.

The thing is, they got the controls straight away, they understood when it was them doing something wrong and not broken controls, and vice versa.

It's for reasons like these that the system works and I don't regret buying it one bit, though I do regret all the shit/average games I bought on the launch day.

I dont know, the PS2 didn't have anything worth playing for at least 2 years imo. I do think the Wii has suffered from being close to the PS2 in terms of power, its far too easy for lazy devs to make a cheap port and treat it as a new game

I think thats half the problem for the Wii, Ben, too many lazy PS2 ports with motion control thrown in. Third party devs simply aren't maximising the use of the system (which is supposed to be more powerful than the Gamecube) which is a shame really, because we've yet to see what it can really do. Considering how successful the console has been, it would be sad to look back in 5 years & see nothing but rough looking third party games dominating the systems outlay.

& maybe Nintendo need to work more closely with third parties at tackling this now - not later.

The problem is definitly lazy 3rd party developers. Nintendo cannot be blamed as they churn out alot of good games for the system. The trouble is that isnt enough to satisfy a hardcore gamers tastes!

I recently havent had much time at all for gaming (Hence not being on here for months) and i was seriously considering selling either my 360 or my Wii.

At first it was going to be the Wii, untill i got smash bros and loved it again... although the only reason i still have my Wii is because of the VC games i have on it and because i just know the second i sell it Nintendo will announce a brand new life changing zelda game and ill have to buy another one!

As for the 360, as much fun as ive had with it i was going to get rid of that, but again i medically need to play resident evil 5 and so cannot sell it for that reason. Dont get me wrong there are plenty of games on the 360 i want and havent played yet (Fallout 3, Fable 2, GoW2...) but i felt with my lack of gaming time i should make the choice to get rid of one.

It was back to being the Wii untill me and the missus had a drunken night on Wii sports and she made me promise not to get rid of it because "its fun once in a while"

... that being the second time she's played on it in the two years ive had it :angry:

So im back to the beginning... Two consoles. No Time.

No money :(

The problem is definitly lazy 3rd party developers. Nintendo cannot be blamed as they churn out alot of good games for the system. The trouble is that isnt enough to satisfy a hardcore gamers tastes!

Spot on, man. The Nintendo bashing is really starting to annoy me, when it's not really their fault - they can't really force them into making certain things.

it'll get better for the wii, don't fret everyone *gives wiivo a hug*

good stuff will start coming, more third parties will release games that full take advantage of the controls, they will start pushing better performances from the machine, just you wait.

The only really stumbling block might be the region locking, i can envision some AAA titles coming out, then not getting localised to EUR, as Nintendo Europe are officially wank.