passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Space

HandsomeDead

I thought I would have this by now but alas no, thats the last time I pay extra for a first class delivery.Anyway, I know it's busy time and this Fable game seems to be very popular for some reason but I think this looks like a solid game. EA seem to be really trying to put the franchise milking behind them.. well almost.Since I don't have the game yet and no oppinions have a 1up show review and a destructoid one.

Taking Resident Evil 4 and placing it the setting of a derelict space stations sounds like a winner of an idea. Any other takers?

Don't let illdog see this thread, he'll kill you while you sleep.

I've taken the unusual step of seeing how many quality games are coming out now and choosing pretty much none of them. Apart from Gears 2 there's nothing I want day one so I'm counting on impressions for all these new ones.

Dead Space does look really cool though, I could do with a new scary game.

Is it the Fable comment that would bother him? I think I've been really good keeping my mouth in check about that one.

Turns out my copy did turn up today, one family member kept it quiet. It's pretty much what I expected, Res 4 in space with Bioshock's storytelling. It looks fantastic and the ambiance really works. patchy lighting and mesh walkways throw around shadows for evil to hide in and as well as all the nooks and crannies that you would expect to find in the engine rooms of a spacestation, two thumbs up for atmosphere. Combat is where Res 4 comes into play so if you've played that then you'll feel right at home, enamies are killed by removing their limbs till they bleed to death... not just by taking off the head which I first thought, I got a clear shot at one creatures throat and it's head went flying through the air hitting the rail next to it and falling to the section below while it's body fell to the floor, I walked towards the corpse smugly reloading my weapon, then bam! the creature shot up just as I got near it causing me to do a little eeep and dropping the controller. :blush: Simple scare tactics yes, but that wasn't scripted so these do come out of no where.

The only atmosphere ruining thing that I found was the ragdoll physics, they're to funny. it just loses something when you're walking around, kicking a head about the place. Also finding someone on the brink of death, when they do die there body does a funny spasm when the animation stops and physics kick in, but thats nit picking.

i wouldve proerdered this, its been on my radar for months now! looks fantastic. the reason i didnt preorder it is im taking a one-at-a-time approach with this slew of awesome titles, so they all get the love they deserve. after ive done with far cry 2 (special edition despatched from game today!) ill go buy this bad mofo. then its fable 2 or fallout 3, i havent decided. leaning toward fable.

also, theres apparently an anime of this coming out, well it explains the backstory, as in what happened before you turned up in the game. saw a trailer and it looks bloody brilliant. weird thing is its got that western cartoon look, not a japanese one (maybe its just not japanese) so its odd seeing a he-man style drawn animation with gore and horribleness. and very cool

Is it the Fable comment that would bother him? I think I've been really good keeping my mouth in check about that one.

Nope, its the impressions of a game thread without the impressions of the game that gets my goat, Everything else should be in 'News'. But you saved yourself by actually getting the game the same day and posting impressions of it. *puts cock away*

The more i read about this game the more i do want it, im glad to see the atmosphere is atleast making an impression.

jesus ill your turning into some sort of net nazi....

I like the look of this to, sadly me and scary games don't have a good relationship. I can't handle them at all. Still can't even play the resi games. It's odd because i love scary films, they don't bother me at all.

I'm the same with scary books as well, i think with games its the interaction that makes me scared, with books its because your using your imagination.

Wow i sound like a pussy

Nope, its the impressions of a game thread without the impressions of the game that gets my goat, Everything else should be in 'News'.

Aaah, of coarse. That has been happening a lot. I just got excited.

I'd talk about more than just the atmosphere but I was getting tired and didn't feel like writing to much.

At first I was I was enjoying it, now I'm fucking loving it. The story is coming together and is pretty decent, stronger than the most horror games. Taking cue from Bioshock's (or even Metroid Prime's) storytelling works really well as you arrive on the spacestation after the shit hit the fan and you're listening to reports of madness and you are looking around at the results of it.

One thing that is bothering me is early on in the game I was coming across health and ammo all the time, I couldn't even carry all of it and it got to the point I was praying for enamies just so I could use up some of the ammo that was taking up all my inventory space and I really had to start being efficiant with managing my stuff. now it's the complete opposite, can't find ammo for toffee, it does increase anxiety atleast and ramps up the fear again..

especially when the regenerating buggers turn up.

oh man it sounds like it really delivers PTG. i must stop reading this thread! one game at a time!!!!

Yeah.

Guy at work is playing through this and says its REALLY good.... nothing like the usual EA stuff either.

And properly scary at times.

If i get it i'm gonna wear headphones and turn the litghts off while i play it.

Tempted to grab it on my PC as its quite a bit cheaper.

yeah looks like that drive for quality original games EA spoke of when they got that new boss wasnt just hot air. god knows they have the money to make the very best games in the world if they desire! ill definitely be playing with the lights out, i just wish i had a 5.1 or 7.1 :(

yeah looks like that drive for quality original games EA spoke of when they got that new boss wasnt just hot air. god knows they have the money to make the very best games in the world if they desire! ill definitely be playing with the lights out, i just wish i had a 5.1 or 7.1 :(

Bit off topic, but i actually have to say that i have been pretty impressed with EA over the last year.

They definitely know how to add some good polish to a game. Things like Mercs 2 and Bad company had really slick level up graphics and cool menu screens.

I know they are small things, but it all adds to the gameplay experience.

What i meant by 'the usual EA stuff' was that it didn't hold back in any way. It's bloody scary and gruesome.

Just finished it. Two words. Great Stuff.

The story really does pick up and is interesting even though you can see the twist coming a mile off. As a single player game it's fantastic, I would say I enjoyed it more than Gear's campaign, it's tight and focused, giving an experiance only a dedicated single player game can.

I was going to trade it in, I already have about £60 on a GAME card from previous trade ins for Mirrors Edge and Left 4 Dead and including this would deffinatly get me both. I'm gonna keep it though, There is an 'impossable' mode and I didn't even buy all the weapons, I went through most of the game using two and I really didn't exploit the enviroments enough and with this modes tougher enamies and reduced ammo I'll have to do it this time, I can see me going through it again sometime down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I adored every moment of this, well the story and the "Oh no, something else is stopping us getting off this shit hole" moments did get a bit much at times, but what the game did do right made up for that, excellent stuff.

Sorry for plugging but review

It's one I definetly intend to play again (probably next Halloween lol) as I only used the Plasma Cutter despite buying all the weapons, that weapon is a beast regardless of how much you;ve upgraded it and incredibly satisfying to dismember the creatures with.

• 1 month later...
started this tonight, wow its fucking amazing. Resi 4 meets The Thing meets Event Horizon meets Alien meets Doom 3

YES! Welcome to Dead Space :D Sooooooooooooooooooooo fucking good.

I'm at a game of shooting down astaroids at the moment, and its boring as shit.

Fixed! ;)

The game really picks up after that bit though, I very much enjoyed the latter half of the game.