passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFGamers Podcast (archive)

Hendo

:lol: I'm saying nothing

The sounds not as bad as I was expecting it to be, but as usual whenever there's a problem it's my end. No idea why and no idea how to ultimately fix it short of buying mic after mic until i find one that works. Anyway I think this is a good show, probably helped by us not doing one like this for a while, but it was a lot of fun to record and hhopefully that comes across

^ i'm not entirely sure what you're refering to so i just want to make sure my comment isn't taken out of context, i'm on about halo (i have to defend it i love it so), i know ben doesn't like it and that's fair enough, but i don't see how microsoft have milked it (unless maybe your refering to halo wars?), 3 games each a few years apart and each adding substantial amounts of new features and even innovations. i thought a milked franchise was something like a yearly update that adds little or nothing new?

I'm not saying they've milked it in that sense, nothing like, more that they've made more games (or will have by the end of the year) than they would have, trying to get more money. Same with something like Metal Gear or GTA (which might be a better example). They're just capitalising on a franchise, or turning it into a franchise, however you want to look at it

I could have picked a better example tbf but i didnt realise i was going to have the 360 police all up in my face :angry:;)

please think of me as more like the halo police. next person to say anything negative about halo is formally challenged to a dance off.

:lol:

DifferentClass wrote:

Yeah, it certainly had more of a banterish kind of vibe about it which was different.

Different eh?

I did ramble on a bit, apologies. I agree with Ben, it sounds alot better than i though audio quality wise.

i thought a milked franchise was something like a yearly update that adds little or nothing new?

That's pretty much what I was trying and failing to say. That Mirror's Edge and Dead Space will certainly get sequels but they won't be every year. Halo isn't updated every year. Even Animal Crossing, which barely moves forward at all, is one game per generation.

I've definitely given up on Guitar Hero (unless something amazing happens) as, for one thing, Rock Band is continually updated with DLC to keep it fresh, and recently they said they wouldn't be doing Rock Band 3 this year, which is nice.

I liked the podcast this week. Nice banter.

On those Forza races last week, we talked about RB versus GH. Rock Band 2 is just so much better than GH:WT. Better setlist, better graphics, better art direction, better songs, better career mode. It just goes on and on and on.

That's not to say World Tour is shit - it's not. It just feels very soulless. It's hard to explain.

I should also point out that my issue was with the dissing of Guitar Hero, World Tour is brilliant and I felt I should step in and defend its honour. Although I still maintain that most companies will milk a franchise/make sequels for as long as they can, but im wary of getting into another arguement :lol:

For the record, here's exactly what the Activision CEO said:

Activision Blizzard boss Bobby Kotick has explained that various Sierra (Vivendi) games were dumped for not exhibiting "potential to be exploited every year across every platform".

Among those dropped during the Vivendi-Activision merger were Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Fortunately, other publishers are pecking at the remains; Atari looks poised to publish Ghostbusters and THQ will do the honours with 50 Cent.

"Why don't we start with the Vivendi Games businesses: there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for," Kotick told investors in a financial call, painstakingly transcribed on Seeking Alpha.

"With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming USD 100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."

The plan is to work on titles that will still in the public eye 10 years from now. And to achieve this, Activision Blizzard has a whopping 15 properties across 70 SKUs planned for 2009 - 40 per cent more than in 2008.

Kotick said these will include new titles in the Call of Duty and Guitar Hero series, as well as film tie-ins Transformers, Wolverine, Monsters Versus Aliens and Ice Age.

There's a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on the way; more James Bond and Tony Hawk outings; and the eventual release of Wolfenstein.

But Kotick also has plans for "three, maybe four exciting new intellectual properties", including Prototype, Singularity and the racing game from PGR brain-box Bizarre Creations.

I've definitely given up on Guitar Hero (unless something amazing happens) as, for one thing, Rock Band is continually updated with DLC to keep it fresh, and recently they said they wouldn't be doing Rock Band 3 this year, which is nice.

with gh/rb games the full releases are really good value for money, rb2 has ~100 songs with the 20 free dlc i think?, that's like 40p a song, usual dlc price is about £1 i think. still doesn't matter to me if they keep releasing dlc i'll keep buying it :unsure:

MFGamers Podcast 10 - The Generic 2008 Ramble (part 2)

As per title, Team Awesome talk absolute rubbish about the last year.

This is part 2 of the huge conversation and is much longer than the last with Ben, Hendo and Sam running through loads of subjects, like some 360 and multiformat games, the year that the Wii had, the PS3, and what is in store for 2009.

Theme music courtesy of Brad Sucks found at http://www.bradsucks.net

MFGamers Podcast 10 - The Generic 2008 Ramble (part 2)

(right click, choose save as...)

Subscribe by hitting the iTunes button.

itunes.gif

Previous:

Mostly Fat Zombies

Games and Shit

I Peacocked Your Mom Last Night

The Generic 2008 Ramble (part 1)

• Hendo changed the title to MFGamers Podcast (archive)
  • Hendo locked this topic