passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

• 2 weeks later...

TV arrived today but looks like I’ve got a bad panel. Basically it’s got faint grid lines over it.

I was messing with it for a few hours and I put a game on and down the right hand side I thought I saw a line going down the screen. I was moving the game camera around and at first thought I was tricking myself because I could barely see it. But there was something there that was distracting. I then went on the YouTube app and run a banding test and on certain greys it does show the line I saw quite clearly, but also highlighted other vertical and horizontal lines as well like a grid pattern. I’ve not heard of this before so looked it up and yeah it’s a thing. It’s not banding it’s some kind of defect with the panel. 

It’s not like it’s terrible because at first I couldn’t even tell if it was real, and it’s not as bad as other examples out there, but I’m still sending it back this was right out of the box.

It’s a shame because I was really impressed with it. It definitely looks and performs a bit better than the 2019 Tv I had. It’s hard to describe but the image is just a bit more striking. Maybe because it’s new so the panel is at it’s freshest. But after seeing this grid problem I’m going to send it back because now I can’t stop looking at it or looking for it. 

I played some Plague Tale tonight since it’s leaving Gamepass and being a visually dark game with lots of shadows really highlighted even more how bad this panel is. It not only has a grid pattern across most of the screen, but it’s also much darker in the middle than the sides of the TV, with I would say almost a light, big, black smudge rising from the bottom centre of the screen outwards in almost a circle shape. I already sorted it with Curry’s yesterday, they’re taking this one away and delivering a new one Sunday, but hope the next one isn’t fucked like this. Otherwise might have to try get the C1 and a partial refund.

Playing bright content on it you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong with it, except for one particularly visible vertical line which is what tipped me off in the beginning. But play/watch something that has lots of shadows/dark/grey areas and it’s quite bad. 

I’ve never seen a QLED up close playing real content. Only in stores with those incredibly produced, high quality screensaver shots which real content like games and films don’t match.

I went OLED over QLED first time just because that’s what all the reviews recommend. But now because I’ve had them for like 5-6 years or however long it’s been I know what I’m getting so sticking with it.

If I could see a QLED up close and play games on it for a while I could definitely be interested, but OLED for now. 

New TV turned up today. Run a bunch of different YT videos to test the screen and everything seems fine so far. Maybe the slightest, slightest couple of lines down the screen but honestly not sure if they're real, and I've tested different looking content and can't see anything while viewing that so should be nothing. 

Although the new delivery people didn't set this one up for me and there was no one to help me do so I think I ended up doing absolutely everything the box tells you not to do to the Tv. I was tipping it over, slightly bending it, grabbing it by the corners, trying to place it on the styrofoam pieces it comes in but fucked it up and Tv was sliding around on the screen. I lifted it by myself in probably the worst way. Thankfully this is the lightest Tv of the C series. I remember seeing that when I was thinking about getting one and not caring, but proved helpful today. 

All nail biting stuff I was getting so mad and sweating very heavy 😓

But it's done now and everything seems fine. Going to try get my £45 back as well because the woman on the customer service line said they'd set this one up for me too. I hate handling expensive pieces of equipment. Always makes me shit myself. 

On 10/09/2022 at 22:38, one-armed dwarf said:

OLED v QLED, let's go

OLED, greater contrast between blacks and non blacks due to self emitting pixels (I think). But has burnout

QLED, way higher peak brightness and better for rooms with daylight. Contrast not as good due to backlight. Does not burnout

Have I got this right?

OLED v Fake OLED you mean? 

Spoiler

:P 

AFAIK that sounds about right to me though from the research I did around the time I decided to get the TV I did. I will say that the burnout issue seems to of been solved from everything I've read of the new panels.

18 hours ago, Maf said:

New TV turned up today. Run a bunch of different YT videos to test the screen and everything seems fine so far. Maybe the slightest, slightest couple of lines down the screen but honestly not sure if they're real, and I've tested different looking content and can't see anything while viewing that so should be nothing. 

Although the new delivery people didn't set this one up for me and there was no one to help me do so I think I ended up doing absolutely everything the box tells you not to do to the Tv. I was tipping it over, slightly bending it, grabbing it by the corners, trying to place it on the styrofoam pieces it comes in but fucked it up and Tv was sliding around on the screen. I lifted it by myself in probably the worst way. Thankfully this is the lightest Tv of the C series. I remember seeing that when I was thinking about getting one and not caring, but proved helpful today. 

All nail biting stuff I was getting so mad and sweating very heavy 😓

But it's done now and everything seems fine. Going to try get my £45 back as well because the woman on the customer service line said they'd set this one up for me too. I hate handling expensive pieces of equipment. Always makes me shit myself. 

I've never run any of those on mine, there's a self-diagnosis thing I found in the settings that I ran when I was first setting it up but that's about it. Really pleased this one seems to not have any issues, have to say since reading your post I've been more paranoid about mine and looking at the screen a bit more closely lol. I was watching Aladdin last night and it flickered a bit at some of the super bright desert scenes (which its never done before) and I almost had a heart attack but was fine the rest of the film and the brief time I played Horizon last night.

Oh wow, I've never had someone set up a TV for me, I wouldn't trust them lol. This was super easy to get out for me, you just cut the plastic ties around the box away and then slide it up and it's just sitting there on its little polestyrene base thing. I think you're meant to have 2 people to unpack it though so fair do's on doing it by yourself.

Yea well done on getting it in place by yourself. No way would I do that, in fact I had to wait an agonising couple of hours for a mate to finish work to give me a lift with mine into place when I got it (wouldn’t trust the other half to help). Not that it’s heavy, it’s just the awkward size and how flimsy the actual panel is. Lucky you didn’t fuck it up when holding edges and sliding it about 😂

So this is now the 3rd one I’ve set up and it’s the lifting and stuff is why I paid for them to do it.

The stand is easy to screw in.

What’s not easy is trying to tip the tv over, decide you’ve laid it down wrong, try to lift it and prop stuff under it, get the heights on the props wrong so it slides off, then put the stand on which weighs almost as much as the TV, then tilt it back up and then lift it with one hand underneath and one hand on the side and try not too squeeze

BY YOURSELF

I’m going to send an email after work today and ask for my £45 back

It’s a 65 @Nag

• 3 weeks later...